Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: General Martial Arts Training Thread

I've studied martial arts for 17 years. Here are some random thoughts that I sincerely hope are in the spirit of this thread...

1. My work has been in a modern blend of Kenpo and Kali. It has vastly improved me as a fighter. I would highly recommend a modern Kenpo blend as an effective defense system.

2. I agree on the relative ineffectiveness of traditional Asian arts. Not useless by any means, but not nearly as effective.

3. If you're not an LEO, never, ever learn martial arts from an LEO. They live in a different universe. You do not have numerous laws that make it illegal for any citizen to merely touch you or even walk aggressively in your general direction, and you will certainly not get the benefit of the doubt in a court room. The judge doesn't care if you live or die. He never has to see you again. The paradigm is 100% different. Their systems are very effective, but only for LEO's, not us.

4. I agree on BJJ. It is very effective, especially when combined with a good stand-up art. I've known several good BJJ guys and studied it for quite a while myself. I am a believer. And more importantly, so is every MMA fighter in the world.

5. Good ol' American boxing is surprisingly effective. It really is.

6. FWIW (maybe nothing)... I've studied knife fighting for 14 years and have three black belts in two different systems dedicated to blades only, and I've been a knife fighting instructor for four years. And if you are attacked by someone with a knife, my advice is to run. Yes, I'm trained and willing to fight. Yes, I might even win. But my first option is to run like an idiot. Run, run, run. That is your best hope for a positive outcome.

425e77c4f5171b5a37cb4d6101ac5b9c.jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    martial arts helps you lead a healthy lifestyle. Experience weight loss as you get in the best shape of your life. Some reasons to join martial arts academy before you join search nearest classes for martial arts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DingBat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    (How can I resist being the first to peel the protective film off of a brand new sub-forum? One near and dear to my heart?)

So here's a thread where I'll try to lay out some simple guidelines people may want to consider if they are looking for Hand to Hand skills.

I consider there to be 5 major types of Unarmed Martial Arts. Let's look at them and set some definitions to help us understand what we want, and why.

1. Military- The source of this training is self explanatory. The simplest way to look at this type of training is the classic "Kill or be Killed". Here we will find a no-nonsense approach to taking your adversary out of the fight as quickly as possible. Things like Sentry-Neutralization and other lethal combatives are common. A lot of the techniques taught in advanced military circles are not going to be appropriate for the Defensive Carrier to use. They could even land one in legal trouble.

2. Law Enforcement- LE is a unique H2H environment. An Officers main objective is controlling, subduing, and handcuffing a subject. While trying to hurt the individual as little as possible. LEO's also generally operate under the strictest rules of engagement, and have many moves and techniques they are forbidden from using.

3. Sport Combat- This could include the increasingly popular sport of Mixed Martial Arts, Boxing, Wrestling, Judo, Tai Kwon do. Any Art where one competes against other competitors in a structured format. Generally the focus here is on fitness, stamina, scoring points, and wearing your opponent down or landing that critical "knockout blow".

4. Spiritual/Historical Training- This is where a person can go to not only learn some combative skills, but be immersed in the rich history and spiritual growth many martial arts have to offer. Some of these martial arts can be very passive and "light" - such as Aikido where virtually no strikes are used. Something like Aikido is very accessible to people who may not be very athletic or aggressive, but can still offer some measure of useful defensive skills. Others can be very aggressive and demanding, such as Traditional Muay Thai kickboxing. Athleticism and vicious, fight ending strikes are the order of the day here.

5. Self Defense- This for systems that do not fit into any of the above. They try to teach a person how to best defend themselves in a dangerous situation on the street. They may not have quite the lethality of some Military techniques, but are also not nearly as limited as LE Techniques. They will generally not push the athleticism and fitness of Sport Combat - though each school will be different. They rarely have much spiritual or historical significance. Their goal is to get an "Average Joe" able to have a handful of "tools" he or she can use to defend themselves in a dangerous situation. The goal is to be able to impart those skills as quickly and efficiently as possible. The most widely known example of this being Krav Maga.

Now - it should be known that many of these above types have much cross-over, and there is much debate in the martial arts community on where exactly different arts, different schools, and different thought processes fall. Not all military personel are taught to kill with their hands. Some high speed LE teams (SWAT) are taught more lethal techniques. Some sport arts have more relevance in Self Defense than others. Each school will be different from the last.

So how do you choose which martial art is right for you? First; you need to decide what interest you from the list above. Then you need to research what school exist in your area that support the type of training you want. You need to decide what your goals are for both combatives, and physical fitness. Lastly, you need to consider your budgets of both time, and money.

In a subsequent post I will try to generically list out some of the more popular types of martial arts, and where they generally fall in the spectrum.
    Very good. I feel people tend to mix these types of combat all together and thinking they are all the same. They are not the same. They were designed for different purposes so the training methods will be different.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    154 Post(s)
    Most of the martial arts mentioned derive from karate or jujutsu, two Japanese martial arts which, in turn derive from a combination of Chinese martial arts and the indigenous arts of Okinawa. Ding Bat is right, the arts all have a different flavor, but most people, I think, go for whatever is available in their area or whatever they are exposed to first. The main thing is to find a good instructor and a serious dojo/school.