Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 35

Thread: Survived Open Carry

  1. #16
    Asst. Administrator DogWalksWithMe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    3,841
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    387 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Telstar6 View Post
    I disagree from a purely Socratic point of view
    Welcome to the forum!

    The Socratic method, also can be known as maieutics, method of elenchus, elenctic method, or Socratic debate, is a form of cooperative argumentative dialogue between individuals, based on asking and answering questions to stimulate critical thinking and to draw out ideas and underlying presumptions.


    90 degrees. 90% humidity. 2 summers. I do not care anymore. I don't expect a problem at the grocery store or gas station or bank. And for me it is not about "attention, activism or social engineering." It's about being armed when I return to my property; that's my underlying presumption.
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

  2. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    34
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DogWalksWithMe View Post
    Welcome to the forum!





    90 degrees. 90% humidity. 2 summers. I do not care anymore. I don't expect a problem at the grocery store or gas station or bank. And for me it is not about "attention, activism or social engineering." It's about being armed when I return to my property; that's my underlying presumption.
    Socratic as it relates to the basic principles of critical thinking. Socratic can refer to many things, not just the traditional Socratic Method that you so kindly referenced.

    Thank you for welcoming me to the forum

  3. #18
    Senior Member 9UC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Humble/Atascocita, Republic of Texas
    Posts
    813
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    38 Post(s)
    Not bothered by, but never have I been a fan of OC. I've never found that my choice of clothing bothers me as I first started carrying while living in the high desert heat of Las Vegas and now living on the hot and humid coastal plains around the Houston area. Year round I wear an open shirt to cover an OWB holster. I have always felt more secure knowing that all but the best will ever spot it.
    ✟✟✟ "...and HE said..."he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one". Luke 22:36
    Life Mbr: VFW, VVA, DAV, VSPA & NRA

  4. #19
    Senior Member TN_Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    214
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    I still open carry fairly regularly, mostly on the weekends as during the week I am often working and then concealed (often pocket carry) is the rule of the day. But, I have never had anyone make a big deal of it. And only once did I have someone ask me about it and react negatively and that was a woman who was obviously anti-gun who wasn't even from Tennessee but visiting from some New England state.

  5. #20
    Senior Member SatCong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    3,731
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    404 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Telstar6 View Post
    The potential perils of OC is not really about how the liberals may react or the fringe gun-grab event. OC is a cautionary tale simply because it can be rather self defeating in regards to many self defense initiatives in general. To understand what that means, a person must first understand the nature of violent predatory criminals and the tactics/strategics surrounding any direct confrontation with them as well as efforts to mitigate attack. People often tout the fact that they OC and nothing bad ever happens. It is all very reminiscent of what alot of bikers say about not wearing a helmet..."ive been riding for 25 years without a helmet and never had a problem". As far as I am concerned, people can do what they want but many simply do not know what the do not know. Guns are not talismans and projecting freely and outwardly that you are armed, where, to what extent and by what means - is not really all that conducive to the tactics and strategics commonly associated with citizen self defense. If a person believes that a gun is a talisman.. I guess they can but I will politely disagree. I disagree from a purely Socratic point of view as opposed to one which may be driven by sentiment. I live in an open carry state and although OC is very uncommon, it does "seem" to be more about attention, activism or social engineering and less about self defense.
    And here we go again! attention, activism or social engineering and less about self defense Sure it does.

  6. #21
    PDF Owner 1MoreGoodGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    15,667
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    298 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Telstar6 View Post
    I live in an open carry state and although OC is very uncommon, it does "seem" to be more about attention, activism or social engineering and less about self defense.
    Interesting opinion. How many open carriers have you spoken with that told you that they open carry for attention? How many for activism? How many for social engineering? The reason I ask is because I'm interested in knowing how much factual evidence you are basing your opinion upon.
    Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

  7. #22
    Senior Member RightsEroding's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    1,965
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    384 Post(s)
    I would like to know what sort of holster you have?

    From what I hear, these pistols are killing machines with a mind of their own; they can easily leap from
    the holster to begin their reign of terror w/o any intervention from a human. (Sarcasm off)

    Originally Posted by Telstar6
    I live in an open carry state and although OC is very uncommon, it does "seem" to be more about attention, activism or social engineering and less about self defense.
    I'm sure there are some CC individuals who carry for reasons you mention; though I am doubtful it is of any great number worth mentioning.

    There have been hundreds of discussions of OC vs CC.

    Me? Do what you want. We are Americans with rights.
    Each can make their own tactical decision if it is wise to do so or not.
    "A covenant not to defend myself from force, by force, is always void"...Thomas Hobbes

  8. #23
    Senior Member Lionround's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    Posts
    1,375
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    127 Post(s)
    I OC on a fairly regular basis as well. Not in Memphis, but in the surrounding burgs and counties. It's not for attention; that's why I don't do it in Memphis. It's not for activism; I am not, even though I probably should be, very politically active. It's not for social engineering; I'm not sure I even would know it if I saw it.

    I do it because I can. 'Nuff said.
    Memphis -- No. 2 on the list of most crime ridden cities in America.
    US Army '74-'77. 95 B AWOL and Deserter Apprehension Specialist.
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel -- 1950 Colt Police Positive Special

  9. #24
    Senior Member jmf552's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,119
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    166 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wild Dog View Post
    I am a huge proponent of OC. I find the wolves will give a wide berth to a sheepdog baring it’s fangs.
    Oh gawd. The sheepdog analogy again. I hate that. Do you know that any shepard who uses sheepdogs will tell you that the sheepdogs actually want to do the same thing the wolf wants to do and eat the sheep? The reason they don't is they want to please the shepard more than eat the sheep. Also, wolves aren't afraid of dogs. A full grown wolf could take out just about any dog easily. A pack would take one out in seconds. Wolves avoid dogs because there are often people near dogs and people can kill them. It's a bad analogy designed to make some people feel tough. Don't fall for it.

    Getting back to OC, though, I only OC for VCDL political events, to make a point. On my own, I would never want to give up the tactical advantage of someone not knowing I have a gun until it's too late for them. I also don't want to get SWATTED, shot first in a robbery or have my gun grabbed. All are reasonable possibilities I would prefer to avoid.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

  10. #25
    Senior Member SatCong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    3,731
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    404 Post(s)
    I OC a lot and I'm still kicking after all the years.

  11. #26
    PDF Owner 1MoreGoodGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    15,667
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    298 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SatCong View Post
    I OC a lot and I'm still kicking after all the years.
    Must be because they keep grabbing your gun and leaving instead of just shooting you first.
    Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

  12. #27
    Senior Member SatCong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    3,731
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    404 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy View Post
    Must be because they keep grabbing your gun and leaving instead of just shooting you first.
    Maybe it's of my smile. Old saying don't jack with old men that smiles all the time.

  13. #28
    Senior Member Ghost1958's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    2,882
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    226 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    Oh gawd. The sheepdog analogy again. I hate that. Do you know that any shepard who uses sheepdogs will tell you that the sheepdogs actually want to do the same thing the wolf wants to do and eat the sheep? The reason they don't is they want to please the shepard more than eat the sheep. Also, wolves aren't afraid of dogs. A full grown wolf could take out just about any dog easily. A pack would take one out in seconds. Wolves avoid dogs because there are often people near dogs and people can kill them. It's a bad analogy designed to make some people feel tough. Don't fall for it.

    Getting back to OC, though, I only OC for VCDL political events, to make a point. On my own, I would never want to give up the tactical advantage of someone not knowing I have a gun until it's too late for them. I also don't want to get SWATTED, shot first in a robbery or have my gun grabbed. All are reasonable possibilities I would prefer to avoid.
    Tactical advantage again. I get so sick of hearing that.

    Is that the tactical advantage of appearing as helpless as every unarmed person so as to have an equal opportunity to be attacked?

    Or the advantage of slower and more difficult access?

    I do both more oc than cc.

    Fact is there is no way to know if OC deters attack or crime most of the time. Cant count what never happened.

    But. CC is for absolutly positive not a deterrent.

    And simply does make access and draw speed slower. I'm no Wesley Hardin. My drawing to first shot cc is 1.5 sec average. From OC. A shade under a second.

    It's as tiring for folks who have carried both ways for decades to hear "tactical advantage " as it is for you to hear "sheepdog".

    Also take it from an old farm boy. Herd dogs don't have in their instinct to attack the herd.
    They have plenty of opportunity to attack just born calves etc when sent half a mile away to bring in cattle, but they don't.

    Swatted I'll grant does occasionally occur in more sheepish states.
    Odd how most folks who say they support the Constitution as written ,,,,,,,,,,,,really don't.

  14. #29
    Senior Member GRCarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Posts
    2,118
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    423 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    Oh gawd. The sheepdog analogy again. I hate that. Do you know that any shepard who uses sheepdogs will tell you that the sheepdogs actually want to do the same thing the wolf wants to do and eat the sheep? The reason they don't is they want to please the shepard more than eat the sheep. Also, wolves aren't afraid of dogs. A full grown wolf could take out just about any dog easily. A pack would take one out in seconds. Wolves avoid dogs because there are often people near dogs and people can kill them. It's a bad analogy designed to make some people feel tough. Don't fall for it.

    Getting back to OC, though, I only OC for VCDL political events, to make a point. On my own, I would never want to give up the tactical advantage of someone not knowing I have a gun until it's too late for them. I also don't want to get SWATTED, shot first in a robbery or have my gun grabbed. All are reasonable possibilities I would prefer to avoid.
    The analogy can represent a lot of things. I never heard that it is designed to make one feel tough. Though, I guess it might apply with some users, though not all; probably not most users of the analogy

    Any analogy will break down if looked at too closely. Since it seems that you don't like any aspects of this one, what analogies do you like for carrying?
    TANSTAAFL - "Moon is a Harsh Mistress"
    OldVet, 30 March 2018: "But being the agreeable sort, I agree."

  15. #30
    Senior Member SatCong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    3,731
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    404 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    It's a bad analogy designed to make some people feel tough. Don't fall for it.


    It's a bad analogy designed to make some people feel tough. I'm 72, why on earth do you think I want to feel tough at this age. As I have said before, I do both CC & OC, but I also use my brain.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •