Thread: Shooting to the left

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Shooting to the left

Hey guys, I'm getting back into shooting and CC. I have shot before but been like 10yrs.
    I recently started back shooting. my groupings are okay but consistently shooting left.
    site wouldn't let me add image of target....but before I begin tweeking sites I wanna make sure I have corrected my shooting skills
    All info appreciated
    7 yards indoor range
    Walther PPQ M2 9mm

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    216 Post(s)
    Start with some dry fire practice.

Purchase some Snap Caps and practice at home.
    https://www.amazon.com/Zoom-Luger-Pr...ords=snap+caps

Load the Snap Caps and aim at something small on the other side of the room...the ground hole in an electrical outlet is ideal.

Steady your aim and press the trigger straight back. Your sights should not move and should still be dead center on the ground hole of the outlet.

Repeat this until you are able to keep your sights on the ground hole both before and after every single depression of the trigger.
    Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    37 Post(s)
    Based on my own bad habits I would say it is highly probable that you are not pulling the trigger straight back with equal finger pressuer flat accross the trigger face. I have the PPQ M2 Navy 9mm and for me the ergonomics of the grip is near perfect for me and the trigger is the best of any striker fired i have shot. I recommend watching some on line videos by Ron Avery.
    Practice specifically on correct trigger pull ... not just throwing bullets down range. Do some exercises that strengthen your upper back, shoulders, and triceps.
    The future is coming whether we want it or not. And when the dam breaks we better know how to swim.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    85 Post(s)
    I would also bench stabilize the pistol to insure the sights are on the money before making corrections to your grip etc...
    "A covenant not to defend myself from force, by force, is always void"...Thomas Hobbes

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    292 Post(s)
    Here is a tool that might help suggest some possible causes, related to your grip/trigger technique.

Pistol Correction Chart @ Aegis Academy
    Cardinal principle: Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Philosophy: Why the Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos)
    On the RKBA: Most of what you think you know about our Constitution is wrong -- Michael Badnarik

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)
    If your groups are good but in the wrong place, try a couple of things:

First, try the same hold with a different but similar gun. If the groups are still off in the same place, it might be you. If the groups are POA, it might be the sights on the first gun. If its the sights, adjust the sights.

Second, if you are shooting groups off in the same way on different guns, try changing the amount of finger you have on the trigger. It is possible that you are pulling the gun off POA as you press the trigger.

There are other things to try, but this might give you an idea whether its the gun or you.

John W in SC

Unrepentant chocoholic ShooterGranny's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    106 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RightsEroding View Post
    I would also bench stabilize the pistol to insure the sights are on the money before making corrections to your grip etc...
    We did that with a gun I had for a short time. It was the gun.
    If you think changes need to be made - get out and DO SOMETHING positive!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)
    It could be any of the things already suggested.

What I have found to be a very common occurrence with majority of people I have been working with is what I call “ subconscious sight drift”.
    Simply, put, it’s allowing the front sight to drift left or right while concentrating on other components of the fundamental, or by changes in lighting conditions that affect how you see the front sight.

I can give 2 personal examples.
    One, while shooting in a indoor range, I found I was shooting to the left. The same pistol was dead on for me outside in the natural light.

And two, yesterday I was working on off hand shooting at 50 yards with my carry gun, a Colt Commander. I started shooting in the late afternoon in the backyard near the wood line where the sun was going down, but still above the tree line. A few minutes later, my shots, which were shooting to the right, but still impacting on a 12 inch wide x 20 inch tall cardboard target, began impacting in the center.
    My assessment is that without the sun in my eyes, I was seeing the front sight more clearly because of the more even light.

So, it could be a lot of things. But I would try shooting in different conditions before I made adjustments.
    " But wisdom is shown to be right by what results from it"
    -Jesus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

thanks guys...im wondering if its sight drift and maybe the trigger finger pushing ( I'm right handed shooter).
    so after 200 rounds shot, ive figured out I have ALOT more to figure out BEFORE I start carrying concealed. I want to get my fundamentals correct before doing that

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RightsEroding View Post
    Alternatively, you might have an experienced shooter shoot the gun and see if they have the same issue. If so, it's the gun sights. If not, it's likely your technique. If the problem is technique, adjust the shooter as described in the other posts on this thread, not the gun. When a gun doesn't shoot where I think I'm aiming it, I always first assume the problem is me, not my gun. Fiddling with a gun to "correct" the shooter's technique is bassackwards.
    NRA Patriot Life Member (Patron), SAF - CCRKBA, NAGR, Handgunlaw.us Donor, Maryland Shall Issue

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    292 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyboyrn View Post
    thanks guys...im wondering if its sight drift and maybe the trigger finger pushing ( I'm right handed shooter).
    so after 200 rounds shot, ive figured out I have ALOT more to figure out BEFORE I start carrying concealed. I want to get my fundamentals correct before doing that
    If you're relatively new to all of this, I'd strongly suggest dry-fire exercises done daily (if you're able). Several weeks' worth of correct dry-fire practice can dramatically reduce the incidence of muzzle jerk due to a number of factors, primarily via smoothing up your trigger technique. Review that chart's risk areas for some guidance on what to look for and eliminate, as you do your dry-fire sessions. Bonus benefit: it helps save on ammo costs, too, as you're doing it with an unloaded sidearm.
    Cardinal principle: Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Philosophy: Why the Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos)
    On the RKBA: Most of what you think you know about our Constitution is wrong -- Michael Badnarik

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spclopr8tr View Post
    Alternatively, you might have an experienced shooter shoot the gun and see if they have the same issue. If so, it's the gun sights. If not, it's likely your technique. If the problem is technique, adjust the shooter as described in the other posts on this thread, not the gun. When a gun doesn't shoot where I think I'm aiming it, I always first assume the problem is me, not my gun. Fiddling with a gun to "correct" the shooter's technique is bassackwards.
    yeah I had a buddy who is experienced shooter shoot pistol fine dead center, so I'm pretty sure its me.
    I watched videos and gonna watch more trying to get as much info as possible.
    I will also try dry firing practices as well.....waaaaay cheaper
    thanks guys for info

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    50 Post(s)
    The correction targets are fairly accurate with problems like that. Most of the time it's in the grip or trigger control.
    Gun culture at its best is rooted in a desire to protect, and especially to protect the people we love-Rachel Lu (University of St. Thomas)