Unrepentant chocoholic ShooterGranny's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    110 Post(s)

Perfection in a holster for this woman

No, Glock is not making leather holsters now.

However, one of our forum members got disgusted several years ago because the custom holster makers could not make what he wanted. So he went out and bought tools and leather and started making his own and discovered a new hobby. He won’t make them to sell but he enjoys making special holsters for a few people.

This gentleman contacted me last spring, shortly after I did a thread about my new P238, and said he is always looking for new and different ideas and making a custom holster for a woman would be a fun and interesting project. Wow. However, at the time I had ordered my usual Vedder Light Tuck and didn’t need a leather holster.

THEN I bought the P238 Rainbow! She is so sparkly bright and beautiful that no way am I going to use a Kydex holster for her or hide her inside my waistband, so I contacted this member and asked if his offer was still open. It was. He didn't shrink from my list of needs, but accepted them as a challenge, telling me that it probably would take ‘A FEW’ holsters to get a final one just right.

He didn't even blink at the parts about left hand draw, close to 15 degree reverse cant, backstrap of the grip needing to be horizontal, gun sitting as low rise as possible and still be able to to concealed, and minimal size holster which would hug my body as closely as possible. He began designing. And we began the emails back and forth. He added some important things, like leaving room for a full combat grip and some other things I hadn't thought about.

Yes, he’s an engineer, so designing and redesigning is all in a normal day for him, and that is a good thing when you take on a weird project like this has been….while building a new house “on the side.”

The first prototype was actually a nice holster and I wore it a couple of times and had people comment on it and even ask if this fellow would make holsters for sale. It was not all the things I wanted/needed, so it was back to the drawing and cutting boards with lots of pictures and comments back and forth. Some interesting and slightly strange (to me) changes were incorporated into the 2nd prototype. More pictures, comments, emails back and forth.

The third one is a charm! It is beautifully made and fits the P238 to a T. Of course, as with most new leather holsters, I had to do some wrapping the gun in plastic to ease the inside of the holster, and am currently doing dozens and dozens of draw and re-holster “movements” to try to get the tension on the inside of the trigger guard eased just enough so I can draw efficiently but still tight enough so that the gun won’t pop out or fall out if I decide to take up bull riding or gymnastics (his words, not mine - LOL).

Now he is talking about doing a 4th version that will. be perfect/perfect but I asked him to let me use this one for several days first. I like it SO much that I don’t think I want anything to be different.

And I know: Pictures or it doesn’t count. Here they are with apologies because I am not a very good photographer, but I did the best I could:

Finished Holster front-back USE.jpg

=====
    Finished Holster front and back USE.jpg

=====
    Finished Holster body 2 views USE.jpg

Continued in next post...."the barbecue rig"
    If you think changes need to be made - get out and DO SOMETHING positive!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    110 Post(s)

My barbecue rig

Finished Holster ON BODY USETHIS.jpg

Note: I cut and pasted the SIG Rainbow into this picture over the Scorpion model that I had in the holster for the pictures, and think I did a pretty decent job of it, to show my “go to meeting” or barbecue rig.

Holster position comments: This is the most stable position, with the belt loop between the two holster loops. It is a tad bit too far back for me to be able to draw the gun easily yet. I can also wear it with the rear holster loop just in front of the belt loop and that makes for an easier but less stable draw. I think after the tension gets adjusted the more stable position will work fine.

I do not think there is another holster like this one. Perhaps because there is not another little old lady with advanced arthritis, limited range of motion and the “NEED” for a barbecue gun and holster. I’m fairly certain that no commercial holster maker would take on a project like this because no one would ever pay them for the time and materials involved in this one of a kind creation.

As a bonus, he and his wife live close enough that in the spring they can and will come to visit so we can give them a tour of our Sportsman Club and she can check out the trap and skeet ranges. I am really looking forward to getting to meet them in person!

"IT'S BEGINNING TO FEEL A LOT LIKE CHRISTMAS!"

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    304 Post(s)
    Glad you're getting exactly what you want. Not a lot of people go for the full custom route. Nice to hear of a holster designer/maker is willing to embark on that journey.

That photo of your "barbeque rig" looks somewhat like the Galco Yaqui Slide holster, at least in terms of the minimalist aspect. Though with an enclosed muzzle end, instead of being open like the Yaqui Slide.

Of course, Galco likely wouldn't ever take up a custom commission to tweak a basic holster design for one person, adding so much (negative) cant, ensuring it holds the butt-end of the gun more tightly to the body, etc.

Cardinal principle: Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Philosophy: Why the Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos)
    On the RKBA: Most of what you think you know about our Constitution is wrong -- Michael Badnarik

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    This is why I make my own .......

"It's easier to avoid conflict than it is to survive it!"

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    377 Post(s)
    I think the holster market is missing out on a large niche that needs to be itched. Holsters designed by women for women.
    Official Forum Curmudgeon I have not yet begun to defile myself.
    Tact: The skill of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    110 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I think the holster market is missing out on a large niche that needs to be itched. Holsters designed by women for women.
    There area actually quite a few holsters that are designated as designed by women for women but not one of them comes even remotely close to what I needed. Lots of corset type belly bands with cute pink trim and lace, thigh holsters, purses, tight undershirts, fanny packs, bra holsters for Elsie Pea and friends, and stuff like that though.

And younger women can use standard cant holsters because their arms, wrists and hands haven't worn out yet.

I feel lucky and blessed to have this new one which is what I need!

The target marketing audience of women who carry 24/7 and are over 75 years old is SMALL. Even smaller for women at the farthest high end of 70 who want barbecue rigs!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    105 Post(s)
    I see Christmas came early for you, really nice holster.
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.
    1/20/2017 The end of an error.

Moderator of the Universe jeanlouise's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    519 Post(s)
    Very nice SG! It's definitely looking a lot like Christmas at your house!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    41 Post(s)
    That holster does look different, but different is exactly what you need. I'm glad it seems to be working out for you. Merry Christmas for you!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    27 Post(s)
    I have 3 of his prototypes and 3 of his finished models and he is designing me a prototype BBQ rig for my 229.
    I have his "Dual Carry" for my P6 which is an inner and outer waist band holster that works beautifully both ways, for my p229 I use his Alamo holster , it's a custom detail boned pancake and is absolutely awesome. For my 1911 railed Sig he he built a modified Shadow for me which is based off of the holster he designed for ShadowWalker to help him draw a government size 1911 with a bad shoulder.
    I will say straight up that he does top notch, beautiful work. I really like the way that little p238 rides in that rig ShooterGranny
    Diligentia,Vis,Celeritas.

Live long and prosper, ; Spock

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    82 Post(s)
    Hey galco, I need a left hand rig for a right handed person with a 15 reverse cant and all kinds of stuff like that.
    ....got any in stock? LOL..
    Perfect... Glad you got what you needed a cudos to the holster maker, must have known you deserved it.
    Pardon me, Sir, for this difference of opinion. my personal interest in such questions is entirely extinct; but not my wishes for the longest possible continuance of our government on its pure principles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    I like that reverse cant. Makes perfect sense.
    Vote with your dollars.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    When you carry an oddball gun a custom holster is often your only choice .......... friend loved his Taurus .41 mag but no one made an IWB holster for it, so I did

............ the wife prefers OWB at 3 O'clock

"It's easier to avoid conflict than it is to survive it!"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    110 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Subhuman View Post
    I really like the way that little p238 rides in that rig ShooterGranny
    I like it too - a lot! When I wear it as shown with the rear holster loop just in back of my pants loop I really don't feel like I'm wearing a holster and gun, and that is with that light weight Core essentials 1 1/2" gun belt. I have another really ancient fairly thin black belt that attaches with velcro and it works just as well with this holslter.

I knew you would appreciate it because you have so much experience with the step by step careful way he designs holsters to be exactly right for each person. We are blessed to have a special guy like that in our lives!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SGB View Post
    When you carry an oddball gun a custom holster is often your only choice .......... friend loved his Taurus .41 mag but no one made an IWB holster for it, so I did

............ the wife prefers OWB at 3 O'clock

I like that Avenger style holster for the Shield

Hmm not a shield, 9c upon closer inspection
    Diligentia,Vis,Celeritas.

Live long and prosper, ; Spock