Thread: Thinking of changing out the sights on my S&W Performance Shield 9mm

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    343 Post(s)

Thinking of changing out the sights on my S&W Performance Shield 9mm

I use my Performance Shield 9mm for EDC and occasional handgun training competitions. Lighting has to be "just right" for me to see big, bright fiber optic sight dots. In low light conditions, there might as well be no dots at all on my gun, at least where my eyesight is concerned. My biggest difficulty is with the front sight, which is the most crucial sight to focus on in a stress situation. It is a small blur, that my eyes have trouble picking up. Right now, if I see any sights at all, my eyes see the rear sights first because the front is more blurred and smaller.

1) The fiber optic sights do not work for me if the angle of light is not right or lighting is low.
    2) There is a Trijicon version of these fiber optic sights, but I am still not sure they would work well in low light.
    3) I would like for my front sight to be a little bigger. It is a tiny dot right now, compared to the rear dots (to my eyes).
    4) My eyesight changes drastically at the 18" to 24" point, and the amount of change is different in each eye. My computer glasses work best at this distance, but my prescription at that range is the eyesight on me, that changes more rapidly than far or near right now.
    5) Allergies can change my dominant eye sight focus on a day to day basis, just enough to be an annoyance.

That all being said, observers have told me they cannot believe I have eyesight issues considering how well I shoot.

I have read about some people having no dots at all on the rear sight, or having a single line at the center, rather than two dots. I have been playing (prototyping) with glow paint, and different configurations to see what might work best for me, before I expend big dollars on a new sight configuration. Additionally, I am not sure if the sight replacement is a "do it yourself" sort of thing, or if I am going to have to spend even more money having a gun smith do it for me.

Does anyone have experience with bringing the front sight into focus on a smaller gun, and what sights work best for that? I do not seem to have the same issue with longer barrels, 5"+.
    Contact your reps about restrictive gun laws->https://act.nraila.org/
    Lady Shooters! PM me if you would like to join a female private firearms sub-group!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    858 Post(s)
    Have you tried or have the ability to try big dot sights? If you can adjust to ball on post type sights, big dots might be an answer. I've heard people have difficulty changing sights themselves on some shields. I don't know if it is still a problem or not.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    343 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nakyak View Post
    Have you tried or have the ability to try big dot sights? If you can adjust to ball on post type sights, big dots might be an answer. I've heard people have difficulty changing sights themselves on some shields. I don't know if it is still a problem or not.
    Do you mean something like this?

Interesting and worth a look. The tritium dot on a lot of the combo, larger front sights, is very small.

I am also looking at this one from Ameriglo, hard to tell if the tritium dot is bigger than the xs or not.
    Lady Shooters! PM me if you would like to join a female private firearms sub-group!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    858 Post(s)
    Yes, the XS sights. I'm not sure about the tritium width compared to the Ameriglo. Another thing to consider is dot color. You might be able to see one color better than another in low light (white on XA vs. orange on Ameriglo). I thought you might be able to pick up the XS sight because the back sight is a little post tritium instead of two dots.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    I am a big fan of the Trijicon HD’s, both the yellow and orange work well for me.
    Appalachian Concealment Custom Kydex

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    84 Post(s)
    for a point of information most tritium vials used in night sights are made by trijicon and are the same size, in the XS Big dot and the Trijicon HD sights the nylon insert around the vial is larger than on most night sights (Sig X-ray uses same format) what makes these dots stand out so much is the open character of the rear sight the XS uses a shallow/wide V and the "bar" touches the center bottom of the V, the Trijicon and Xray and Idot Pro sight all us a very wide rear notch ( U or |_| ) all of this tells your eye that that front sight is huge and makes it Quick to pick out

I have a set of yellow HD sights on my 1911 but I much prefer the format of the XS, accuracy with them comes with shooting them and learning where they hit at all distances....practice may not make you perfect but it damn sure makes you better
    Last edited by Subhuman; January 2nd, 2018 at 08:55 PM.
    Diligentia,Vis,Celeritas.

Live long and prosper, ; Spock

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    858 Post(s)
    Would the truglo TFX fit your criteria? They're expensive, but might be worth a look.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    99 Post(s)
    BHG I have the same problem with fiber topic sights as you and I have broken them a few times. I wear bifocals (not progressive) and indoors I have to close my left eye to see the front sight and the target. The much maligned factory glock sites seem to work best for my eyes.
    .... we donít control and cannot rely on external events, only ourselves and our responses. - Marcus Aurelius -

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    119 Post(s)
    Get some of that GlowOn paint it's amazing...

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    343 Post(s)

I was just flipping through our own Forum sponsors and I don't remember seeing Night Fision before. So I checked out their website, they make sites. And they look like what I might be looking for at a reasonable price. Does anyone here have experience with them?

https://www.nightfision.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawkgirl View Post
    I was just flipping through our own Forum sponsors and I don't remember seeing Night Fision before. So I checked out their website, they make sites. And they look like what I might be looking for at a reasonable price. Does anyone here have experience with them?

Other than finding a pelican case of theirs in the Atlanta airport and calling the number on the attached card and making sure they got it back I do not have any experience with their sites.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    304 Post(s)

I couldn't find them listed as a sponsor here on P.D.F. They look well made. Thanks for the heads up.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    343 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Arejay View Post
    I couldn't find them listed as a sponsor here on P.D.F. They look well made. Thanks for the heads up.
    Oooops! That was the other forum

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    84 Post(s)
    Oooops! That was the other forum
    busted
    Diligentia,Vis,Celeritas.

Live long and prosper, ; Spock