Thread: Window Hunting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    115 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Why would anyone be hunting a road? Well, maybe if they're lost in the woods or something.
    You would be surprised. I once saw a couple of fellas hunting squirrels. One bubba was driving while the other was sitting on a cooler...wait for it...of beer. Shooting squirrels out of the bed. One of their spawn, must have been about 11, was running out to fetch. I had just returned to my vehicle having been hunting all morning. We exchanged pleasantries, talked about their ancestry, and generally passed the time in small talk about stupidity, crime and punishment, etc.
    I find supremely ironic that God in his wisdom and grace has given man freedom of choice bounded by 10 simple rules. Man in his finite wisdom has created millions of rules to limit freedom of choice and personal responsibility of man.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    92 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ctr View Post
    You would be surprised. I once saw a couple of fellas hunting squirrels. One bubba was driving while the other was sitting on a cooler...wait for it...of beer. Shooting squirrels out of the bed. One of their spawn, must have been about 11, was running out to fetch. I had just returned to my vehicle having been hunting all morning. We exchanged pleasantries, talked about their ancestry, and generally passed the time in small talk about stupidity, crime and punishment, etc.
    Did their ancestry involve interbreeding by close relatives?

;-)

John W in SC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    115 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John W in SC View Post
    Did their ancestry involve interbreeding by close relatives?

;-)

John W in SC
    Why yes, I do think something was mentioned with regards to their mothers.
    I find supremely ironic that God in his wisdom and grace has given man freedom of choice bounded by 10 simple rules. Man in his finite wisdom has created millions of rules to limit freedom of choice and personal responsibility of man.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldschool Ozarker View Post
    No, they actually skedaddled before the season started. Seems like deer always like to migrate to the federal park (where hunting is prohibited) during that time.
    Perhaps they're smarter than what we give them credit for.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawkgirl View Post
    Deer are not as dumb as we think. Nor are elk. Just before hunting season when I lived in the high country of Colorado, all the elk herds would congregate around and on our acreage. I am talking 500 in view, maybe more than twice that total, driving slowly to get around them and not spook them on the way home from work. They disappeared by hunting season. I would have been reluctant to ruin that vibe, though. It was an awesome experience.
    So if you ask me, the solution would be to change hunting season. Let it start earlier when the deer and elk still think its not open season on them. Over time the animals learn when its safe to hang around and when to hightail it out of there, that's why the dates for hunting season should change from time to time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by John W in SC View Post
    Many years ago, in a land far away, I was sitting with my friend in the living room of his parents farmhouse. I was rudely startled by an explosion that sounded like a twelve gage firing in the next room, followed by a strong whiff of gun smoke. My friend casually explained that it was just his mother shooting her shotgun out the kitchen window. Really? Yup, shooting at a fox that was after their chickens.

Do you have any idea how loud a twelve gage is in the next room?

Not sure if this counts, but it did involve a gun and a window...

John W in SC
    Did she get the fox?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    92 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Photon Guy View Post
    Did she get the fox?
    As I recall she was shooting over the fox and chickens so as not to hit the chickens. But, since the fox was apparently a "repeat offender", perhaps removing it from the gene pool by means of a rifle would have been a more permanent solution. The fox may have had relatives with similar appetites, but the theory of scaring one fox to scare other foxes doesn't seem to work too well...

;-)

John W in SC

NUTS! Gen. McAuliffe Stumpkiller's Avatar
    Upstate NY in the headlands of the foothills
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    94 Post(s)
    I frequently sit on my back deck in the warmer seasons with a scoped .223 handy most times. No quite "out the window" but many times ruckus at the chicken coops or a groundhog attack on the green beans has been resolved with a "BANG!"

I'm well over 500 feet from any neighbor's structure and not firing over a road.

Haven't been hungry enough to take a deer that way. I respect them enough to take the time to hunt for them down in the woods behind the house. There is a line between shooting and hunting. But, if it was late in the season and I looked out during hunting hours and saw a nice buck in the pasture . . .

I'd have to go out the door, though, because we have storm windows in during the fall.
    Every word of God is pure; He is a Shield (TM) unto them that put their trust in Him. Proverbs 30:5
    In training to be the forum's assistant deputy backup curmudgeon