Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What to say when you see someone being unsafe at a live fire range.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    75 Post(s)

What to say when you see someone being unsafe at a live fire range.

Im not a range or club member. But I do frequently use the NRA and Elite ranges in NoVA. As a paying customer I expect the range to provide adequate oversight for safety, and they have.

Otherwise nearly all non-military shooting Ive done is out in the middle of nowhere with no people to annoy me.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    99 Post(s)
    I'm in the same camp as several others.

I do not feel it is my place to correct idiocy; if it were, I would never have time to enjoy myself ANYWHERE!

As others; I stopped going to public ranges 2 yrs ago.
    I have membership in a private range where all are vetted before being admitted.

Funny thing about a firearm when discharged; there is no known way to stop the projectile and place it back in the shell. Hmmm?

Nope, no thank you; I will pass on going to a public range where the margin of stupidity is ZERO.
    "A covenant not to defend myself from force, by force, is always void"...Thomas Hobbes

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    112 Post(s)
    The range I belong to is almost always deserted. It's an indoor/outdoor range with no heat so it's pretty much abandoned in the winter. I have only had one instance where I was concerned. It was at an indoor range in Manchester NH. They rent full auto Mac 10's and Uzis. I was at the range with a friend and a couple guys came in and were not taking what they had seriously. Fooling around and laughing while waving the gun around. Based on their looks and actions my friend and I decided to leave while we could. On the way out, we grabbed the RSO and explained why we were leaving. He said he was on his way over to ask the guys to leave. Other people had complained.

That night on the news was a story about a pushing and shoving match at that range that resulted in two arrests. I put 2 & 2 together and was very happy we left rather than confront the guys. (If it was them)

If I saw someone who looked like they were struggling I may offer assistance. If I had someone muzzle me, I definitely would say something but if I saw what I saw that day, I would pack up and leave.
    What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    118 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer1270 View Post
    "mag-dumping, spray and pray, 50 cal commando man" You made me spit up my espresso!

Well,,, This is a reason that I don't really do ranges here much,, There is one little range in a basement out here that I will go to during most peoples work hours, because I am the only one there most of the time. I have a range on my property in PA that we practice on and a few ranges in PA that I use,, I find that people in PA are more experienced than people in NY.

That said,, I am very gentle in my approach at first,, I try to use Charm and leave a long lasting impression,,, "Hey,,, can you please put your gun on the bench for a second" when the person puts their firearm down,, I introduce myself, shake hands and say,, "I don't wanna die today" "I still have too many bills to pay",, Then I ask them to please don't point that thing at me again,, "I don't want my friends to go through any trouble" When I get the strange look after talking about my friends,, I then explain,, I have a wife, a sick mom, 2 nurses, 4 kids, 2 dogs, 200 fish 5 cars,, 3 motorcycles and a house,,, if you kill me today because you are not careful in where you point that thing,, there will not be a lawsuit,, My friends will visit you and force you take care of my family for the rest of their lives,, You will now have a wife, 4 kids, a sick mom, a daytime nurse and a night time nurse, 2 dogs, 200 fish 5 cars,, 3 motorcycles and a house to take care of,, No refunds and no returns,,, if you are broke,, you will be forced into slave labor to do whatever you have to do to take care of your new family... We usually laugh after this point,,, that's when I ask if I can have a look at their firearm,,, as soon as I get their gun in my hand,, that is when I give the stinkeye,, "you point thin thing at me again and Imma take this gun away from you" then I smile and say "you know I'm just kidding, right?" person normally will laugh and say yes,,, that's when Stinkeye comes out again,, Well,, I'm not kidding,, I place the gun down on the bench, shake hands and walk away,, Funny but I have seen people 4-5 years later and they still remember me... most of all,, they remember to be aware of where that muzzle is pointed..
    I probably won't be posting for awhile while I memorize this and practice in front of the mirror.. LMAO
    Pardon me, Sir, for this difference of opinion. my personal interest in such questions is entirely extinct; but not my wishes for the longest possible continuance of our government on its pure principles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)
    Get OFF MY LAWN.!
    "I have never seen a Kentuckian without a gun and a pack of cards and a bottle of whiskey in my life" - Andrew Jackson

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    147 Post(s)
    My public ranges is the sandbox or BLM land. I will not put up with people muzzle me. I'm too old for that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    I'm an NRA certified RSO. Usually when I'm at the range, I'm the RSO. All our club members are at least club certified RSOs, so having to step in is rarely an issue. But as long as I'm polite and firm, I've never had anyone push back on my directions. Admittedly I'm male, mature, and spent a career giving orders. So exerting authority isn't a challenge for me.

Typically the problem is either improper placement of the targets (outdoor range, so baffle and ground strikes are to be avoided) or a gun malfunction the owner doesn't know how to clear. When those happen, and if they aren't familiar with the gun, they are generally quite happy to have someone more experienced help them. The few times I've shot at commercial ranges, they always have had an employee RSO. If I were to notice unsafe behavior there, I would speak to the range RSO. If they fail to take corrective action, I would leave and let the management know why.
    NRA Patriot Life Member (Patron), SAF - CCRKBA, NAGR, Handgunlaw.us Donor, Maryland Shall Issue