Thread: 3 IDPA matches this month

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

3 IDPA matches this month

Iím lucky to be in Florida this January AND find three nearby matches in as many weeks. They were in St Pete, Lakeland, and Melbourne and were all well run and very different one from the other.

The St Pete one started with a 34 degree morning and might have had 25 shooters. The next two were exceedingly well attended, maybe 50 and 80 shooters respectively. Iím very grateful they allowed me, a member from another state, to join in for the day. This year and last Iíve participated in matches in five different clubs in Central FL, one in Phoenix AZ and three in NC Piedmont and Mtns.

When travels let off at end of Summer I hope I can get into one of the good handgun classes in east TN, sw OH, or NC. I look forward to learning what to practice (the right mechanics and mindset) to advance my skills further. Iím slowly moving up, shooting in upper half of MM class in matches. While Iím not a young guy and am new to the sport, still I want to learn and improve all I can.

IDPA isnít everyoneís favorite venue but itís working for me. Iíve learned a lot in the couple of years Iíve belonged and attended matches.
    Regards, Sax
    G27 G19 G17
    IDPA A158430

Unrepentant chocoholic ShooterGranny's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    358 Post(s)
    IDPA is great practice as long as you keep your mind straight as to the difference between the IDPA games and real life self defense. If you do not view IDPA as training, but as skills practice I think it is a good thing to do. And it is FUN!
    If you think changes need to be made - get out and DO SOMETHING positive!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterGranny View Post
    IDPA is great practice as long as you keep your mind straight as to the difference between the IDPA games and real life self defense. If you do not view IDPA as training, but as skills practice I think it is a good thing to do. And it is FUN!
    SG, thanks for your insightful comment. I fortunately have not been forced to defend self nor dear ones. OTOH I am learning and honing handgun skills. I had not learned to draw and present, Fire from retention, nor understand well the basics and practices for safe handling. I didnít have any idea what I could achieve skill-wise. I had never attempted reloads, neither slide-lock nor with retention. Iíd never worked on 25 yd shots.

Two years in I have a solid appreciation of my skills limitations and goals for continued improvement. And yes, those goals will include appropriate training not only in games skills but also in self-defense. Prior to IDPA and USPSA matches I only had shot indoor square lanes and that only with my Glock27. Now Iím also working with a Glock 19. Most of my shooting now is in prep for, or at, practical pistol matches.

Matches in the past two years have provided me practice shooting at static and moving (swingers, spinner, disappearing and motorized) targets and shooting while advancing, retreating and moving laterally. Sundayís Match as one example, we had stages shooting from standing, seated, prone positions. Iíve improved shooting SHO, WHO, and both hands.
    Regards, Sax
    G27 G19 G17
    IDPA A158430

Unrepentant chocoholic ShooterGranny's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    358 Post(s)
    @Saxdm9 -- I'd like your post about 20 times if that were possible. You are building a very good set of skills, all of which form a solid base for self defense situations that we hope and pray we will never have to face.

Keep shootin', friend!
    If you think changes need to be made - get out and DO SOMETHING positive!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    340 Post(s)
    Sounds like fun! I am gearing up here already for spring. I have not done a full blown IDPA competition yet, but I would like to this year.
    Contact your reps about restrictive gun laws->https://act.nraila.org/
    Lady Shooters! PM me if you would like to join a female private firearms sub-group!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

We had a new shooter in our squad Sunday. His first match of any kind. The squad safety officer and scorekeeper welcomed him and treated him carefully. Extra coaching each time Al's turn came up. Everyone's been in his shoes. It was nice to see the encouragement and care they gave him. My first match was more challenging, probably because I was so clueless despite my brother-in-law's best efforts to give me basic advice. It took me a few matches to gain a comfort level with the processes involved. Now it's fun, challenging, and enlightening. The first year +, I shot in the bottom 1/4 of my classification. I'm all the way up to the upper 1/2 after two years. Pretty slow movement. I'm still figuring out basics I could and should have gained from quality instruction when I started. Anyhow, YES BHG, it's fun.
    Regards, Sax
    G27 G19 G17
    IDPA A158430

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterGranny View Post
    @Saxdm9 -- I'd like your post about 20 times if that were possible. You are building a very good set of skills, all of which form a solid base for self defense situations that we hope and pray we will never have to face. Keep shootin', friend!
    Thanks SG. Appreciate your support.
    Regards, Sax
    G27 G19 G17
    IDPA A158430

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    340 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saxdm9 View Post
    We had a new shooter in our squad Sunday. His first match of any kind. The squad safety officer and scorekeeper welcomed him and treated him carefully. Extra coaching each time Al's turn came up. Everyone's been in his shoes. It was nice to see the encouragement and care they gave him. My first match was more challenging, probably because I was so clueless despite my brother-in-law's best efforts to give me basic advice. It took me a few matches to gain a comfort level with the processes involved. Now it's fun, challenging, and enlightening. The first year +, I shot in the bottom 1/4 of my classification. I'm all the way up to the upper 1/2 after two years. Pretty slow movement. I'm still figuring out basics I could and should have gained from quality instruction when I started. Anyhow, YES BHG, it's fun.
    I have done informal competition up to now, no national standings, steel target and abbreviated BUG gun mostly. I did my first competition ever, full blown Action Pistol several years ago, it was the most complex course of fire I have done to date. That was stressful, so many things to remember and so many things to be disqualified for!! I just wanted to make it through without a DQ, that was my goal, and I did it!

I have been trying to gear up ever since, the right pistol, sights, etc., so I would be more confident doing formal IDPA and steel challenge. I am still not sure if my new Ruger American is THE gun, but I am going to give it a "shot", lol!

My season stops for a while in summer, when it gets unbearably hot in TN. I ran one steel challenge, where I did great the first stage, and as it got hotter, each stage got considerably worse, until I started to feel disoriented, dizzy and unsafe to myself. Maybe I should head up north and do some competition in August.
    Contact your reps about restrictive gun laws->https://act.nraila.org/
    Lady Shooters! PM me if you would like to join a female private firearms sub-group!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

Shot a second match with Lakeland IDPA group yesterday. In the weeks since prior monthís match Iíd read Ben Stoegerís vg book, Practical Pistol Reloaded. Iíd given a lot of thought to my areas for most improvement. But had no time to practice, neither live nor dry.

At yesterdayís match I tried to focus on these important areas especially grip, front sight, and movement. I did well okay on sight and movement. Could tell from first stage I need much improvement still on grip.

My biggest fault yesterday was not taking time to make the hits. Yesterday I scored at 50% of Best score. Same group last monthís Match I scored 60% of Best score. Going the wrong direction, but learning where I want to go.

Work to be done.
    Regards, Sax
    G27 G19 G17
    IDPA A158430