Thread: China LE Using Facial Recognition

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    202 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GRCarry View Post
    When I start to hear that I shouldn't worry about it if I'm not a criminal, or If I'm not doing anything wrong, then I shouldn't have a problem, or, something along that line, that I will absolutely know that it has gone too far. If I haven't done anything wrong, then they have no reason to watch me. Or you.
    Try telling that to Donald Trump.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    97 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Let me guess: you don't travel via airplane much, these days, and your passport's long since expired.
    The faux-security BS exceeded my toleration back around 1985. I don't even do *airports*, much less commercial aviation.

Asst. Administrator DogWalksWithMe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    351 Post(s)
    FBI FACE database Privacy Impact Assessment:

https://www.fbi.gov/services/records...-services-unit

The searching and retention of probe photos by the FACE Services Unit presents a privacy risk that the facial images of individuals will be searched for improper purposes. This risk is significantly mitigated because the probe photos have been obtained pursuant to FBI investigations or assessments that have been opened in accordance with the Attorney General’s Guidelines for Domestic FBI Operations (AGG-Dom), the Domestic Investigations and Operations Guide (DIOG), the Privacy Act of 1974, and all relevant laws and policies. In other words, the agent or analyst who is requesting the face recognition search has already met the legal requirements to investigate the subject of the probe photo.
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Moderator of the Universe jeanlouise's Avatar
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1159 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DogWalksWithMe View Post
    FBI FACE database Privacy Impact Assessment:

https://www.fbi.gov/services/records...-services-unit

"The searching and retention of probe photos by the FACE Services Unit presents a privacy risk that the facial images of individuals will be searched for improper purposes. This risk is significantly mitigated because the probe photos have been obtained pursuant to FBI investigations or assessments that have been opened in accordance with the Attorney General’s Guidelines for Domestic FBI Operations (AGG-Dom), the Domestic Investigations and Operations Guide (DIOG), the Privacy Act of 1974, and all relevant laws and policies. In other words, the agent or analyst who is requesting the face recognition search has already met the legal requirements to investigate the subject of the probe photo."

Well, that's a relief. I feel much better knowing that the FBI will never use this technology inappropriately...say, to do opposition research for the Clinton campaign.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    309 Post(s)
    I think Facebook's Facial recognition is just as helpful to law enforcement as any other facial recognition database they have. And people volunteer their pictures on Facebook gratuitously; there is a lot more information on Facebook than a database that was just based on "persons of interest". It would be cool to see if there are any stats as to how many investigations are aided by Facebook vs. FACE.

According to this CNN article, LE compiles their own database off Facebook. It is an old article. That means, the use that is described in this article has increased exponentially since then:

https://www.cnn.com/2012/08/30/tech/...dia/index.html
    Contact your reps about restrictive gun laws->https://act.nraila.org/
    Lady Shooters! PM me if you would like to join a female private firearms sub-group!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1159 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawkgirl View Post
    I think Facebook's Facial recognition is just as helpful to law enforcement as any other facial recognition database they have. And people volunteer their pictures on Facebook gratuitously; there is a lot more information on Facebook than a database that was just based on "persons of interest". It would be cool to see if there are any stats as to how many investigations are aided by Facebook vs. FACE.

According to this CNN article, LE compiles their own database off Facebook. It is an old article. That means, the use that is described in this article has increased exponentially since then:

https://www.cnn.com/2012/08/30/tech/...dia/index.html

Yeah, more lives have been ruined by people posting things they shouldn't on FB than can be counted. I'm not just talking about illegal activity either. Employers use FB to check out what prospective employees are posting.

If LE can use FB to find criminal idiots, more power to them.

Asst. Administrator DogWalksWithMe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    351 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeanlouise View Post
    If LE can use FB to find criminal idiots, more power to them.
    If the idiot has their profile setting as public, I agree. That makes it a public space.

What if the FB profile is private/friends-only? Can or should LE be able to use that?
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1159 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DogWalksWithMe View Post
    If the idiot has their profile setting as public, I agree. That makes it a public space.

What if the FB profile is private/friends-only? Can or should LE be able to use that?
    That's a good question and I don't know how I feel about it because it takes us back to the "probable cause" issue which was so misused by Comey and the FBI just recently.