Laugh Out Loud Laugh Out Loud:  0

Thread: Nitecore SRT3 Defender Flashlight - Just what I wanted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    113 Post(s)

Nitecore SRT3 Defender Flashlight - Just what I wanted.

I have had the Nitecore SRT3 Defender Flashlight on my wish list for a while and finally decided to get it. I was looking for versatile and durable flashlight for an emergency bag. The SRT3 is exactly what I wanted plus more.

Some technical specifications from their website:
    Max Output 550 lumens
    Max Beam Distance 134 m
    Max Beam Intensity 4500 cd
    Max Runtime 200 h 0 m / 8.33 d [Runtime on high with an CR123 is 1h15m]
    LED CREE XM-L2 T6
    Reflector SMO
    Battery 1 ◊ 14500 ,1 ◊ AA ,1 ◊ CR123 ,1 ◊ RCR123
    Special Modes Location Beacon,Red/Blue Warning Light,SOS,Strobe
    Beam color White light
    Length 100 mm / 3.93 in
    Head Size 25.4 mm / 1 in
    Weight 73 g / 2.57 oz
    http://flashlight.nitecore.com/product/srt3/

Why did I chose this flashlight and what do I like about it?
    - It can use CR123 as well as their rechargeable counterparts, plus with the extender tube AA.
    - Adjustable brightness from a relatively bright (550 lumens) down to moonlight with several levels in between.
    - Tail switch with momentary on
    - Waterproof (to 2m)
    - Feels durable and well put together
    - It has a red light mode which I like for when trying not to ruin night vision, I usually carry a red diffuser cap or lens cover. It also has a blue light mode which I donít really use but some may find valuable.
    - It use a rotating selector ring for selecting all the different modes and brightness. This seems smoother than I was expecting.
    - Tail stand capable
    - Crenellated bezel is suppose to be able to break car window
    - Iím not a huge fan of strobes/SOS, but I think they could have value in emergency

There isnít much I donít like about this flashlight, but if there is anything:
    - The light is bigger and heavier than many CR123, but the selector ring, momentary switch and tail stand ability all add length and weight so it is a compromise
    - The switch seems slightly harder to press than Iím use to. It could loosen up some with use. This could also be due to the edge extending high enough to tail stand. Also some lights have cut outs around to make easier to press but this one does not.

I think it will be a really nice choice for my emergency bag. I can also see this light being a good choice for camping or travel. Because of the weight, probably wouldnít want to use for backpacking if limiting weight, but otherwise might be good. The SRT3 even fit a 16340 battery with built in micro usb for recharging (which is slightly higher than other CR123s so do not always fit well in some things), which adds even more versatility.

All in all, I am really happy I finally made the decision to buy this light.

5E112EA8-B44E-4E20-96E6-3AC417E6DF24.jpg
    "Itís the unconquerable soul of man, not the nature of the weapon he uses, that insures victory." Gen George S. Patton

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    479 Post(s)
    A lot of features, in that one.

If you've never used the 14500 Li-Ion, I think you'll like it. Nice to see a light that actually tolerates the rechargeable RC123 batteries.

The "moonlight" mode is useful, too, if using it as an emergency/camping tool. I've got a couple of flashlights that have this mode, and it's invaluable for saving the charge over extended periods away from an outlet.
    Cardinal principle: Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Philosophy: Why the Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos)
    On the RKBA: Most of what you think you know about our Constitution is wrong -- Michael Badnarik

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    113 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    A lot of features, in that one.

If you've never used the 14500 Li-Ion, I think you'll like it. Nice to see a light that actually tolerates the rechargeable RC123 batteries.

The "moonlight" mode is useful, too, if using it as an emergency/camping tool. I've got a couple of flashlights that have this mode, and it's invaluable for saving the charge over extended periods away from an outlet.
    It is ironic to say but all the features were what had me a little concerned and probably what took so long to purchase it. I was concerned it would be one of those where you sacrificed quality for features or the “jack of all trades, master of none” sort of thing. But so far it does what it does well.

I have a couple 14500, but for AA usually stick with eneloops. The ability to use the 16340 li-ion was one thing I really wanted.

The adjustability ring lets you adjust from full brightness all the way down to barely detectable like a dimmer switch, so you can go only as bright as you need to not waste battery life.
    Last edited by SOS24; February 12th, 2018 at 12:11 AM.
    "Itís the unconquerable soul of man, not the nature of the weapon he uses, that insures victory." Gen George S. Patton

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    254 Post(s)
    Very nice Flashlight,, I am thinking of ordering one,,, What was the pricing on it and did you buy it directly from the link that you posted?
    Nonsensical Gibberish Talkin Clown,,, Das Me,,,, hehehehe.....

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    479 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SOS24 View Post
    I have a couple 14500, but for AA usually stick with eneloops. The ability to use the 16340 li-ion was one thing I really wanted.
    The 14500's are for replacements of AA, though at higher draw and typically shorter times. The 16340's are for CR123 replacements. I've always loved the higher-output Li-Ion alternatives. AA and CR123 are fine, and they're available at most any shop that sells batteries. But the newer Li-Ion rechargeable stuff is so much better from a light output standpoint. Nice, to find a flashlight that supports AA, CR123, as well as 14500 and RCR123 and 16340, in the same light. Very flexible.

The adjustability ring lets you adjust from full brightness all the way down to barely detectable like a dimmer switch, so you can go only as bright as you need to not waste battery life.
    Nice, too. Most lights seem to have a button that selects a predefined mode ... say, 10 or 20 lumens. I've got one that is preset at 2 lumens, which is plenty dull in every environment except a tent on a pitch-black night.

It's also good to see many of the flashlight makers adding waterproofing features. Some ten years ago, very few even bothered.

Sounds like a nice flashlight. Assuming all the features stay reliable over time.
    Cardinal principle: Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Philosophy: Why the Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos)
    On the RKBA: Most of what you think you know about our Constitution is wrong -- Michael Badnarik

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    113 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer1270 View Post
    Very nice Flashlight,, I am thinking of ordering one,,, What was the pricing on it and did you buy it directly from the link that you posted?
    I got mine off Amazon for $72, which is about what I’ve seen. I didn’t see a way to buy directly from the Nitecore site.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    The 14500's are for replacements of AA, though at higher draw and typically shorter times. The 16340's are for CR123 replacements. I've always loved the higher-output Li-Ion alternatives. AA and CR123 are fine, and they're available at most any shop that sells batteries. But the newer Li-Ion rechargeable stuff is so much better from a light output standpoint. Nice, to find a flashlight that supports AA, CR123, as well as 14500 and RCR123 and 16340, in the same light. Very flexible.

Nice, too. Most lights seem to have a button that selects a predefined mode ... say, 10 or 20 lumens. I've got one that is preset at 2 lumens, which is plenty dull in every environment except a tent on a pitch-black night.

It's also good to see many of the flashlight makers adding waterproofing features. Some ten years ago, very few even bothered.

Sounds like a nice flashlight. Assuming all the features stay reliable over time.
    I also like the Li-ion rechargeables, but find the AA eneloops are good too, especially for those that can’t handle Li-ion or Li-ion doesn’t yield higher output.

I intend on using the SRT3 as an edc for a little while at least to make sure it is as durable as it seems.
    Last edited by SOS24; February 12th, 2018 at 05:26 PM.