Thread: 2017 Colt Cobra holster

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    329 Post(s)

2017 Colt Cobra holster

I recently bought a 2017 Colt Cobra. I'm looking for holsters built for this revolver and finding them scarce.

Until I find a holster I pulled out this old Tagua 4in1 I had for a SP101 three inch I no longer own. It's to long as far as the barrel goes but fits good in every other aspect. Retention is good, covers the trigger and the cylinder and frame fit perfectly.

You can see where I took the IWB clip out and removed the pouch sewn into the holster to hold that clip.
    So now it's a three in one holster , cross , behind the back and right handed draw wich is where I've been using it with my Kore belt at about two o'clock.
    The revolver and holster ride a little high but tuck in tight due to the Kore belt adjustments and make this all steel revolver very comfortable to wear whether walking or sitting.

So now I'm wondering whether other holsters built for the sp101 will fit as well. Maybe holsters for the old Colt DS II and SF-VI would fit as well since this new Colt seems to be such a close and direct descendant ?
    WP_20180224_13_37_29_Pro[1].jpg WP_20180224_13_26_50_Pro[1].jpg
    Photos are taken with the phone so they're not the best.Click on pic to enlarge

If anyone can steer me to a better holster I'd appreciate it since I really like the new Colt and am going to keep it. Thanks
    Last edited by Arejay; February 24th, 2018 at 04:26 PM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    363 Post(s)
    Very interesting and nice to know! Have you made any more progress on matching SP101 holsters to your Colt? Range reports on the Colt?
    Contact your reps about restrictive gun laws->https://act.nraila.org/
    Lady Shooters! PM me if you would like to join a female private firearms sub-group!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    329 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawkgirl View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Very interesting and nice to know! Have you made any more progress on matching SP101 holsters to your Colt? Range reports on the Colt?
    Nope. I know Galco has modified one of their holsters to fit the Colt but I don't like it because it's ugly.
    I haven't written up a range report. I intended to when I have the time to take pictures and think about what makes a good review.
    I can tell you about first impressions and the hundred rounds that went through it first time out.
    If your interested in this Colt because you want one I can tell you now that I like it a lot and I didn't bring enough ammo the first time out with it. I could of continued that session for most of the day because the Colt was such a surprising pleasure to shoot.
    Even with +P there wasn't much flip. Stacking was negligible , maybe a little at the end. DAO is super smooth and there wasn't any opportunity to stage the trigger in DAO. The bolt locks the cylinder up right before the hammer drops.

The grips help a lot. Very comfortable fit for me. Red front fiber optic stands out but I would like to swap it out with the night sight they promised. I can't find it but it's on their new Night Cobra. This Colt is a natural pointer if that makes sense. This Colt puts rounds on target easily without using the sight. It doesn't bother me that it's not a .357. I didn't like firing .357 in my 2.25 Ruger SP101and I had a hard time controlling the Ruger and didn't enjoy shooting .357 in it.

I'd forgotten all about asking the gun store guy to reserve one for me it took so long to show up. When I got it home I went online to see what people were saying. I was very disappointed to see all the negativity and thought I was going to be very unhappy. It turned out the other way. I'm very happy with it.
    Colt said they were going to offer an every day carry revolver that would be a shooter with a great trigger and they did.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    363 Post(s)
    I am so glad to hear you say that! I had my hands on one at the NRA Convention last year, and just recently, and I love it. I have been reading all the negativity too, but I suspect it is going to be a dream for me to shoot.

I need to replace my Ruger LCRx due to a wrist injury. It was weird, because I was using it just fine with the injury (and weakened wrist). Then one day, it was like a weak ligament or something, just gave out. It has been 6 months and the little gun still hurts like heck. I am afraid in a tough situation, I might not be able to get off more than 2 shots without something else just blowing out in my wrist.

On the good side, I am fine with all my larger guns. There is something about the recoil in the LCRx that must move my wrist differently, or it just puts me close to a threshold. I have to remember to tape my wrist when I go to the range, whether or not the big guns seem to bother me, just in case. I am exercising it also.

ANYWAY, I think the Colt will be on the safe side of the threshold for me. I checked the weight, trigger pull, and more against the Smith model 686, SP101, and others, and the weight/size seem optimal. Not too heavy, not too light, almost the same size/width of the 5 round guns, but with 6 rounds.

I also think it is a sharp looking gun, on its own. Classics are beautiful, and I have a few, but we need to look at it for what it is. A new generation of Colt.
    Lady Shooters! PM me if you would like to join a female private firearms sub-group!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    329 Post(s)

The new Colt looks to be the descendant of the last "D" frame Colt produced the SF-VI. By calling their new revolver a Cobra it was inevitable it would be compared to the old Cobras when it came out. Some good history here and do you think the pic of the SF-VI looks familiar ?

The SF-VI had what was possibly the lightest double action trigger ever used on a production revolver.

In fact, the trigger was so light, some users had problems with the trigger not resetting fast enough, causing "short stroking" of the trigger.

Colt quickly offered to replace the trigger return spring with a heavier spring if the owner had problems.
    http://www.coltfever.com/SF-VI.html

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    363 Post(s)
    I have the fever...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    329 Post(s)

I know of only one treatment for what ails you. Six doses of +P will start your treatment program