Thread: Survival Sidearm you almost could have bought you bat can't.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    329 Post(s)

Survival Sidearm you almost could have bought you bat can't.

Maybe the time is right again to give this innovation another chance. A six shot revolver that
    chambers, fires, and extracts 25 different cartridges (actually 117, if you count every one ever made, but only 25 were claimed) in the .380/.38/9mm/.357 ammunition range (just about any handgun round with a bullet diameter between .0355 and .0357 inches). Various rounds can be mixed in the same cylinder loading and fired with no problem.
    Neato !!.......http://airbornecombatengineer.typepa..._revolver.html

With Y2K approaching Colt invited the inventors to adapt Colt's combat magnum with their system. Colt distributors received twenty five thousand pre production orders . Said to be the biggest order Colt has ever received.
    But it all came to naught
    So if you find yourself wandering the wasteland looking for cartridges you'll only be able to shake your head and sigh that can't own a sidearm that will fire up to 117 different calibers.

To be fair you can own one. Not a Colt but the Phillips and Rodger Medusa 47. It's going to set you back some money if you find one for sale.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    wow. I had never, ever heard of that. it's sort of the answer to a problem no one has though. which is this guy's conclusion.

if the ammo supplies of 9mm actually run dry in modern American in the middle of the zombie apocalypse - I don't think you'll be scoring much tokarev, 9mm browning long, or .38 super ammo...

considering they're now going for nearly $5k ...
    http://www.armslist.com/posts/337402...-only-500-made
    I think $5k worth of "regular" ammo stockpiled would get you much further in Doomsday than this weird gun would. but that's my opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkUJ2EuTNE0
    There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    329 Post(s)

Five grand for those discontinued revolvers. How much would a current production model cost ? And why not ?
    The author makes this statement
    or anticipates a regional or global cataclysm after which one will have to scrounge for ammo.

Its a solution to a problem few reading this are likely to experience: having access to only one handgun and a mixture of cartridges not of our choosing. And yet, it's an impressive piece of design and engineering, to be lauded.
    I'd like to see a new offering. I mean why not ? Shoot what you want when you want and then pass it down to the kids. I'm pretty sure there was a lot of scrounging for ammo in past SHTF's

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1425 Post(s)
    Nah.
    Official Forum Curmudgeon Nonsense, I have not yet begun to defile myself.
    Tact: The skill of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    323 Post(s)
    Pass.
    "I need your clothes, your boots und your motocycle..." Don't think it won't happen, it's practically here.
    I like all kinds of foreign guns,

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    96 Post(s)
    Not for me
    A man, without force, is without the essential dignity of humanity. Human nature is so constituted, that it cannot honor a helpless man, although it can pity him; and even this it cannot do long, if the signs of power do not arise.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    259 Post(s)
    Why buy a handgun to shoot 117 calibers when you can buy 117 handguns to shoot one caliber each?
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    329 Post(s)

LOL. If Colt had been able to produce the Combat Magnum under a different name other than the Survivor I wonder what Colt collectors would be paying for them today.

Good 'Ol fashioned American ingenuity if you ask me. Designing a cylinder and ejector to handle all those different rounds without moon clips oughta get some kind of respect . Twenty thousand people preordering the Combat Magnum sight unseen thought it was a good idea. Of course they thought the world was going to crash after Y2K and were hoping to save time instead of buying 117 differing handguns.

Maybe the .327 Federal Magnum guys would be interested in such a revolver.

NUTS! Gen. McAuliffe Stumpkiller's Avatar
    Upstate NY in the headlands of the foothills
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    243 Post(s)
    Go with 9 x 19mm and you'll be good for 80% of what you may come across anyway.
    Every word of God is pure; He is a Shield (TM) unto them that put their trust in Him. Proverbs 30:5
    In training to be the forum's assistant deputy backup curmudgeon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    259 Post(s)
    If I had to choose one handgun, it would be a Glock in 10X25mm.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1030 Post(s)
    Sounds like an interesting and utilitarian concept. For anyone who might ever be faced with a scrounge-'em-if-you-can-find-'em situation.

Here's a Youtube video about the thing's features: click.

Would make a lot of sense for, oh, Colt or Ruger or S&W, to make one in the .38/.357/9mm sizing, but stout enough to take the .44sp/.44mag/.45 cartridges as well. Rimmed or not. Bottleneck or not. Shorter or longer based on caliber, whatever. One barrel/cylinder for the .38 person, and another barrel/cylinder for the .44/.45 person. A stout enough base gun to support whatever loads (ie, the Ruger Redhawk, perhaps), but with a swappable barrel and cylinder easily done at home with a couple simple tools.

That way, no matter what cartridge calibers you're faced with using, you're not unarmed simply due to not having the "right" gun with you.

Great idea. If it could be fairly accurate and utterly reliable.
    Cardinal principle: Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Philosophy: Why the Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos)
    On the RKBA: Most of what you think you know about our Constitution is wrong -- Michael Badnarik

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    The best video on this was the one forgoten weapons did .. It was just that gimcky most of the rounds it fires have been out of proudction so long you would probl not run into them in most end of world situation ( 38 long colt or 38 browing etc )

I really like the gun and think it is cool but just that cool ..

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    329 Post(s)

Thanks. Informative and made me laugh.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why buy a handgun to shoot 117 calibers when you can buy 117 handguns to shoot one caliber each?

Now, that's my kind of thinking...