Thread: How We Train

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    397 Post(s)

How We Train

I may be wrong, but I believe those of us who CC everyday, have some sort of training regime. It may be a lot of rounds down range, it may be a few rounds.

Regardless of how we train; we do train, at least I hope so.

I am curious as to the groups philosophy in HOW we train; specific methods that are useful.

One question I will pose is:

1) "Is there such as a thing as training to much?"...other than the expense.

and...

2) "Should we be concentrating our training routine on the (odds) of what we may most likely encounter as CC citizens?"

I will spill the beans of my training regime later; but am curious how you all view your training, why you train the way you do.
    "A covenant not to defend myself from force, by force, is always void"...Thomas Hobbes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    110 Post(s)
    I do two or three drawstrokes from concealment before I leave the house. If I don't do anything else, most days I fire two or three rounds on a seven-inch steel plate fifty yards away. I seldom shoot up more than a mag, but do so several times each week, keeping various skills fresh. My thousand-rounds-a-month regimen is well behind me now.
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'” Isaac Asimov

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    323 Post(s)
    I do the same as Mike. I shoot maybe once a month unless the weather is so bad I wouldn't be out in it anyway carrying.
    "I need your clothes, your boots und your motocycle..." Don't think it won't happen, it's practically here.
    I like all kinds of foreign guns,

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    408 Post(s)
    I have reached the age where the physical type training has become a fond memory and now I do just a monthly outdoor shoot on a friends farm. Yes, we normally kill a few milk jugs and beer cans.
    U.S. Army (Ret) 1953-1977 ‘‘The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able may have a gun.’’
    — Patrick Henry

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    i do a "5 & 50" drill with my primary handgun once a month. I have a steel target @ 10 yards, and another @ 50 yards. the drill is 5 rounds in a mag, 5 times.
    #1 -5 rounds, slow and steady, @ 10 yards, with both hands.
    #2 -5 rounds, with strong hand
    #3 -5 with weak hand
    #4 -5 with both hands, @ 50 yards
    #5- ...the 5 @50 go into a speed reload of the last 5 @ 10 yards, rapid fire.

I shoot my snubbie revolver more randomly, I carry it less frequently, and just sort of shoot it when I get the hankering. it also averages once a month though.

I shoot my Tavor, as it's my primary "defense rifle" in a similar fashion to the 5 & 50 drill, but more like 10 and 250, at various ranges, in various positions. sometimes I take a more casual, precision approach, going for a bench, longer ranges, and careful, precise hits. Sometimes I go all "tactical operator" and go faster, with more movement and dynamics, speed reloads, etc. I try to do this monthly as well, but it doesn't always happen.

i don't hunt very often anymore, but i try to break out the scoped rifles, and guns like the 30-30 levergun occasionally, just to keep familiar.

shotguns, clay shooting, bird hunting..... anything like that is so thoroughly ingrained in me, i mostly just do it for fun when i get the feels. I miss clay or bird shots so rarely i don't really see that skill diminish, with the exception of my eyes aging a but, but that's universal across all my shooting (and driving, lol).

All in all, I'd say the two skills that i notice diminish the fastest are(in order):
    #1 - weak hand pistol shooting - the hand and arm strength, confidence, control, and accuracy, fall off sharply.
    #2 - Scoped Rifle - getting into the rhythm of breathing, and staying steady. Especially off-hand. ....and as i get older, and less in fighting shape when i was younger.
    There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    397 Post(s)

My training regime is pretty simple:

A) When I arrive at the range and get set up, I place 3 targets at 10, 15 and 20 yards about 20 feet spacing.
    My EDC is already on me. I do not take practice shots, dry fire or slow fire. I make a assumption all (3) targets are immediate threats. My shooting partner yells "Threat".

I clear my cover garment, draw, rapid fire 3 rounds into each of the three targets in under 4 seconds total for all three targets with a spread no greater than 4 inches. If I miss one round, I consider it a failure for me.

B) Friend inserts one snap cap in my mag, hands me the mag; total shots 11 + (1) snap cap.
    Two targets at 30 feet, 20 foot spacing. Shot timer starts. Draw and fire 5 shots into each target; clear jam, continue. 3.5 secs or better. My 1st shot is always one handed as my support hand comes into play.
    Repeat but mag change upon failure to fire. 5 seconds or better.

C) Standing, kneeling, and cover structure at 100 & 150 feet feet. Target is 6 inch.
    Slow fire. 5 rounds into each. 5 hits at 100 feet is pass. 4 hits still a pass. 3 hits I fail.

D) Slow to medium speed fire, non dominant hand shooting at 30 feet.

I usually will add a walking drill as well as I walk toward, away, lateral to the target.

That is the extent of my training based on what I expect to be the greatest odds on of a self defense encounter. After all this, I shoot for fun, slow fire, rifles etc...

I try to consider what scenario has the best odds of happening.

IMO, I believe it would be:

1) a interior location with other people around. Small store etc...
    2) Approached by 2 or more BG's in a street setting or walking to my car.
    3) A large venue such as a mall.

In all but #3, it is paramount for me to practice draw speed from concealment, first shot accuracy and follow on shot accuracy.
    I probably use about 300 rounds 9mm per week when the weather is good.

There may be no right or wrong, this just happens to work for me; gives me confidence and is what I concentrate on most.
    "A covenant not to defend myself from force, by force, is always void"...Thomas Hobbes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)
    Funds are tight (saving up money to buy ammo for my first rifle course this fall), so I do dry fire practice while im working out 3x per week. I practice grip, trigger prep/press/reset, quick sight allignment, and sometimes stoppage clearances. One thing I really struggle with is transitioning my focus from the threat to the front sight with any practical rapidity, so I work on that a lot too, and I throw in movement/pivoting.

When I was 8 I entered a Blockbuster drawing for a life-sized Spiderman and copy of the movie on DVD. Aside from a couple $1 scratch offs that has been the only prize I’ve ever won. Well, in addition to collecting dust Spidey makes a decent dry fire target. He’s in his web blasting stance, so he’s a threat!
    You can double the stopping power of any caliber with a double tap

American By Birth, Southern By The Grace of God
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    116 Post(s)
    I built a range in back of my home and shoot a good bit. I have also ordered an "I Target" that will be here next week. Can't wait to use it.

https://www.itargetpro.com/

“Truth to a Liberal is as Salt to a Slug” Unknown
    "If it wasn't for double standards, the liberal left would have no standards at all."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    33 Post(s)
    Over the decades I have trained and trained and trained ......... Uncle Sam has trained me, the State of Michigan has trained me, the State of Florida has trained me and I've trained hundreds of others. In my later years I don't train as much ........... but then there's a lot a things I can't do as much as I used too!

However my advice is too push yourself as hard as you can and never turn down an opportunity to learn.

"It's easier to avoid conflict than it is to survive it!"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    408 Post(s)
    I have been following the critique of a gun range video posted on the "other" forum that shows shooters "muzzling" themselves numerous times. The self professed expert that posted the video is being slaughtered for his total lack of oversight and unprofessional comments by a professional instructor from California. I applaud the individual "bigger hammer" for taking his time to point out the shortcomings of the instructor. Nuff said, Mr. Beam has taken charge. Good night. Set your clocks ahead one hour.

Bottom line: I need to practice "Watch My Gun Back Into The Holster"
    Last edited by chuck; March 10th, 2018 at 09:41 PM.
    U.S. Army (Ret) 1953-1977 ‘‘The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able may have a gun.’’
    — Patrick Henry

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)
    Only range close enough to me is an indoor range. I go there when I can, but for drawing from the holster or moving and shooting stuff I use this at home.
    http://lasrapp.com/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    408 Post(s)
    I don't consider shooting at a stationary paper target training but nothing more than practicing a learned skill. I do believe training would be structured classes as offered by reputable training facilities like GunSite or a local facility like Florida Firearms Training. Classroom instructions and practical exercises under the watchful eye of a professional trainer with on the spot correction of unsafe actions.
    — Patrick Henry

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    54 Post(s)
    I shoot more often but, with less ammo than I used to. I do mostly draw and fire from concealment at different distances and sometimes moving targets or I am moving. I use a shot timer just to track my progress. With my DA/SA guns I always do a double tap so that I train with both trigger pulls. Throw in some one handed both strongside and weakside. I like to finish with some 25 yard accuracy shots just for fun. Concealment sometimes is open cover garment and sometimes closed which requires a scoop draw. However I might carry is how I train to shoot.
    I shoot in the woods 5 miles from the house so no restrictions.
    Deplorable, Bitter Clinger...and proud of it.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    397 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't consider shooting at a stationary paper target training but nothing more than practicing a learned skill. I do believe training would be structured classes as offered by reputable training facilities like GunSite or a local facility like Florida Firearms Training. Classroom instructions and practical exercises under the watchful eye of a professional trainer with on the spot correction of unsafe actions.
    I don't consider shooting at a stationary paper target training but nothing more than practicing a learned skill.
    That is pretty much how I feel about "stall" shooting.

Stationary practice is probably OK for someone very new to firearms.

Personally, I find stationary shooting almost a total waste of my time and ammo.

There is a DNR range near me that I no longer attend.

Time outs to clear the range.
    No drawing
    No CC allowed
    No smoking

NO THANKS!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    153 Post(s)
    I've had a lot of training in my life, but I don't like to take anything for granted. I shoot once a month at my friend's home range, where we walk or run and shoot at targets spaced at different distances and with varying spaces between them. I do some quick draw and some rapid fire. This keeps me sharp. I go to the woods and plink some with my Browning 1911 .22 or my Beretta .380. I like to take the Mini 14 up to the power lines and set up targets a ways off and shoot them with iron sights. I go hog and coyote hunting some. All in all, I get to do a good bit of shooting.