Thread: Advantage for accuracy, time and follow ups? Compact vs full size

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)

Advantage for accuracy, time and follow ups? Compact vs full size

I did an IDPA match, using a compact Glock 19. I was second in My class but 17th overall.

Considering it was my first time competing I know what I need to work on for my next match.

1). Is there an advantage of using a 17 or even a 34, instead? I like the 19 since itís my carry gun. I do have the 17 and 34, too.

2) Also, is there an advantage for 115 vs 124 vs 147 grain bullets?

Thanks for any advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    398 Post(s)
    Kinda' depends on your end goal?

Do you want to score better in IDPA or become more proficient with your EDC?

The 17 & 34 will certainly give you better accuracy with follow on shots.

I don't do IDPA regularly but do compete in other combat type simulation matches.
    I prefer to use my EDC as that is my end goal; to become more and more proficient with what I carry for self defense.

Over sized mag wells, large mag drop buttons, compensators etc are great for scoring, but is it the weapon you will be carrying?

Do you feel shooting a G34 frequently in IDPA will cause your proficiency to drop with your EDC G19? Only you can answer that.
    "A covenant not to defend myself from force, by force, is always void"...Thomas Hobbes

Asst. Administrator DogWalksWithMe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    415 Post(s)
    My competitions have been with my EDCs. Over time, I have cut my time by more than half.

But I also think about the separate goal of competing just to find out how fast I can be...

One of my goals is to get involved in SASS, and slick up my own guns - and reload -- in the pure pursuit of speed. I have also thought about getting a dedicated pistol for Steel Challenge. Trigger job, red dot, hand loads. Nothing against entering more than one firearm in the same competition. Enter one stock carry, build another for the sport.

I have not competed in IDPA yet, do plan on it at some point.
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)

I want to be a more proficient shooter for self defense. I want to be able to adapt to shooting under pressure. I know itís a bit artificial as itís not shooting back at me. But it was a good learning process.

I have no desire to modify my Stock Glock 19 that I Shot that day. I think it is more than adequate enough. If I need to do a reload after 16 rounds, in real life, I probably got into the wrong HOOD.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    398 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CDRGlock View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I want to be a more proficient shooter for self defense. I want to be able to adapt to shooting under pressure. I know it’s a bit artificial as it’s not shooting back at me. But it was a good learning process.

I have no desire to modify my Stock Glock 19 that I Shot that day. I think it is more than adequate enough. If I need to do a reload after 16 rounds, in real life, I probably got into the wrong HOOD.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Well; there ya' go; kinda' answered your own question.

As @DogWalksWithMe said, he trains quite heavily with his EDC but would still like to trick out a pistol for the fun and challenge of it. Nothing wrong with that.

I want to be a more proficient shooter for self defense.
    Me too; which is why, when I do compete in combat style events where the attempt is to place as much stress & pressure on the shooter as is practical; I use my stock EDC.

I may be wrong; but my belief is to train more with what you carry.
    The size, weight, balance, recoil etc...is what I want to burn into my brain in the way of muscle memory.
    I want no surprises if I ever need my weapon in a threat of imminent bodily harm situation.

I have several pistols. Like 'em all, shoot 'em all; but again; My EDC gets a lot more range time than the others.
    "A covenant not to defend myself from force, by force, is always void"...Thomas Hobbes