Thread: Laserlyte: New Cat Toy or Ligitimate Rifle Sight Device?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    296 Post(s)

Laserlyte: New Cat Toy or Ligitimate Rifle Sight Device?

I just purchased this LaserLyte universal bore sight .22 to 50 caliber laser device. You need at least a 4" barrel to use it successfully. It comes with 4 adapters and 4 screws. I figured out on my own that it is best to screw the screw into the adapter first, and then screw the adapter onto the laser. As you screw the adapter onto the laser, the adapter flares out so you can micro adjust for the bore that you are sighting.

I was a little skeptical at first, especially about the adapters, and I am still a little queezy that this might somehow damage my bore. But, I have several rifles sitting around that have been waiting for years for better sighting, other than boxes of ammo I expended at the range with my sometimes shaky arms/hands.

The good news was, it seems my manual sighting of my rifles was not bad, at least at closer distances, in doors, where it was darker and easier to see the laser. I had a heck of a time outside, trying to sight for greater distance. I guess I need a good shooting rest, binoculars and/or a range finder if I want to go out to 100 yards. I think I am good for 50 yards right now. I am not going to be doing more than that, at this time. In the future, I will probably need a more specific bore device.

Don't worry, the AR has been double/triple checked for unloaded, and I never pointed it at kitty. It was hard to get the job done with kitty flying around the house and up the walls chasing the laser!

Contact your reps about restrictive gun laws->https://act.nraila.org/
    Lady Shooters! PM me if you would like to join a female private firearms sub-group!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    152 Post(s)
    I have one. I use it on rifles and handguns. For rifles I set up in my basement with a gun vise on top of a tool chest, and aim at a white wall 69 feet from the muzzle. This gives me a "close enough" sight in for 25 yards. (I zero about 1/4" high at this distance for rifles with a sight over bore of about 2 1/4".) I then confirm with live fire at a range.

Handguns get the same distance in my basement, with a handgun rest.

The bore sighter isn't perfect, but it gets me close enough on paper. I think it was money well spent.

(Disclaimer: I don't have a cat, so I can't comment on entertainment value...)

John W in SC

NUTS! Gen. McAuliffe Stumpkiller's Avatar
    Upstate NY in the headlands of the foothills
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    151 Post(s)
    Here kitty, kitty.

Just remember a bore sighter gets you close (hopefully on a target face at 100 yards). You still have to shoot holes in paper to know where you are hitting.

And it makes a great cat toy without the rifle. ;-)
    Every word of God is pure; He is a Shield (TM) unto them that put their trust in Him. Proverbs 30:5
    In training to be the forum's assistant deputy backup curmudgeon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    74 Post(s)
    Down load a military 25/250 meter zeroing target, set up at 25 yards and set your sights to the laser, should be dang close to zero at 250 yards on the AR then
    Diligentia,Vis,Celeritas.

Live long and prosper, ; Spock

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    296 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Subhuman View Post
    Down load a military 25/250 meter zeroing target, set up at 25 yards and set your sights to the laser, should be dang close to zero at 250 yards on the AR then
    I will certainly do that next time I get to the outdoors range. I can't wait to see how close I am!
    Lady Shooters! PM me if you would like to join a female private firearms sub-group!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)
    I have one in 9 and 40. They are not really a sighting device. As the o rings wear, accuracy will depend on the orientation.

I use them for dear and fire training. The kitties see the dot for an instant, and then search for hours...hahaha
    Read our government's plan to destroy the Constitution.
    https://sustainabledevelopment.un.or...ormingourworld

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    33 Post(s)
    A bore sight's only purpose is to save a few rounds by getting you on paper the first shot. I suppose if you had a powerful green laser that could be seen in daylight at 100 yards and a mounting system that was perfectly concentric to your bore, you could do the math and adjust elevation to be dead on at a given range but that would cost much, much more than a few rounds of ammo to tweak your zero.

BTW, My LaserLyte bore sight has been working for me for years, many scope installs and no damage to any bore.
    ***TANSTAAFL***
    Holsters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawkgirl View Post
    I just purchased this LaserLyte universal bore sight .22 to 50 caliber laser device. You need at least a 4" barrel to use it successfully. It comes with 4 adapters and 4 screws. I figured out on my own that it is best to screw the screw into the adapter first, and then screw the adapter onto the laser. As you screw the adapter onto the laser, the adapter flares out so you can micro adjust for the bore that you are sighting.

I was a little skeptical at first, especially about the adapters, and I am still a little queezy that this might somehow damage my bore. But, I have several rifles sitting around that have been waiting for years for better sighting, other than boxes of ammo I expended at the range with my sometimes shaky arms/hands.

The good news was, it seems my manual sighting of my rifles was not bad, at least at closer distances, in doors, where it was darker and easier to see the laser. I had a heck of a time outside, trying to sight for greater distance. I guess I need a good shooting rest, binoculars and/or a range finder if I want to go out to 100 yards. I think I am good for 50 yards right now. I am not going to be doing more than that, at this time. In the future, I will probably need a more specific bore device.

Don't worry, the AR has been double/triple checked for unloaded, and I never pointed it at kitty. It was hard to get the job done with kitty flying around the house and up the walls chasing the laser!

As a Cat owner (can you own a cat?) I believe that is so, so very wrong! Also, as a cat owner I believe that is kind of funny (I almost did the same...)
    I never let schooling interfere with my education.
    Mark Twain

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    219 Post(s)
    I frequently play with my dog with a laser pointer. He loves to chase it around the house.

The first time I started using the laserlyte for practice, my dog was trying to jump and get the laser everytime I pulled the trigger.
    "Itís the unconquerable soul of man, not the nature of the weapon he uses, that insures victory." Gen George S. Patton

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    296 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell View Post
    As a Cat owner (can you own a cat?) I believe that is so, so very wrong! Also, as a cat owner I believe that is kind of funny (I almost did the same...)
    True, he is the boss of everyone, even the much bigger dog we have.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    296 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SOS24 View Post
    I frequently play with my dog with a laser pointer. He loves to chase it around the house.

The first time I started using the laserlyte for practice, my dog was trying to jump and get the laser everytime I pulled the trigger.
    LOL, they are so funny. Even though I had double/triple checked the gun, safety on, etc., I programmed myself to "treat every gun as if it is loaded". So, I am trying to get it set up, finding spots on the wall, and the cat is constantly getting in the target zone, flying through the air sometimes, very hard to get my sighting done!

Now that my first round of sighting is done for my rifles, I suspect I am going to use it a little for play time. It is a bigger, hotter laser than cat toys though, so I suspect extra care is needed where their eyes are concerned.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)
    We have a laser toy, it’s like turret that sits on the edge of a table and randomly runs the dot all over the place. They get a lot of exercise with that.

The dogs chase it too, but that can end in a hissy fit. Sisters, never again.
    Read our government's plan to destroy the Constitution.
    https://sustainabledevelopment.un.or...ormingourworld

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    296 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Struckat View Post
    We have a laser toy, it’s like turret that sits on the edge of a table and randomly runs the dot all over the place. They get a lot of exercise with that.

The dogs chase it too, but that can end in a hissy fit. Sisters, never again.
    Lol, I'll have to look for one of those! My cat is very friendly, loves to be around his whole family and is always bugging all of us to play with him.