Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ammo in your Bug Out Bag

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    143 Post(s)
    There is always a big argument about guns and ammo for bugout or a long-term shtf situation. I read a book once called "Survival Guns." I forget who it was by, but his argument was that the .22 long rifle is the ultimate survival gun/ammo. One very strong point of his was that the ammo is so easy to carry lots of and store. Also, accuracy, the reliability of a good .22 rifle (he liked lever guns and those survival, pack it into the stock types by Marlin and Browning), and ease of maintenance. His scenario was that you would not be in an urban, shoot it out situation, but in the woods or a rural setting. Your main concern would be small game and self-defense was a secondary concern. He did point out that a .22 LR is quite deadly if you are a decent shot. .22 would certainly be one of my survival guns, but I would not want to give up the 1911/BHP or my shotgun.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    320 Post(s)
    Food, water, gas and electricity would be my least worry should the SHTF. My worries will be the same as when hurricanes have ravished our area in the past, those who are never prepared and the looters. A Hornady Superformance SST .308 165 Grain round awaits those who attempt to breach my kingdom.
    U.S. Army (Ret) 1953-1977 ‘‘The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able may have a gun.’’
    — Patrick Henry

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    57 Post(s)
    Without clarity on the situation, it’s a moot point to do any in depth planning.

I live in the country, and have everything I need here, food, water, and shelter.

The furthest I will be from home if something happens is about 24 miles.
    A box of pop tarts, canteen of water, and 22 rifle are all I need to get home, which is about an 8-9 hour walk as the crow flys.

A box of CCI MINI MAGS, and what’s in my pistol will be all I need.
    " But wisdom is shown to be right by what results from it"
    -Jesus

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    245 Post(s)
    Any SHTF bug out scenario I can think of that involves planning for how much ammo to bug out with really depends on the scenario.
    These threads always get me to thinking and I don't come up with to many situations that will get me to abandon my home.
    There are plenty of scenarios that come up that get me to thinking how to defend it from those bugging out though.
    I can't count the times I've come across a post or an article along the lines of "Give me a poncho and a Nylon 66 and I'll have everything you own when ever I want it"

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1043 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman View Post
    Without clarity on the situation, it’s a moot point to do any in depth planning.

I live in the country, and have everything I need here, food, water, and shelter.

The furthest I will be from home if something happens is about 24 miles.
    A box of pop tarts, canteen of water, and 22 rifle are all I need to get home, which is about an 8-9 hour walk as the crow flys.

A box of CCI MINI MAGS, and what’s in my pistol will be all I need.
    No TP?
    Official Forum Curmudgeon Nonsense, I have not yet begun to defile myself.
    Tact: The skill of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    57 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    No TP?
    Nah! Leaves work fine; pine needles if you prefer more of a scrubbing
    " But wisdom is shown to be right by what results from it"
    -Jesus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    42 Post(s)
    I don't have a "bug out" bag. My life is pretty much bugged out already and any place I might go will be worse than just staying put.
    Deplorable, Bitter Clinger...and proud of it.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1043 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman View Post
    Nah! Leaves work fine; pine needles if you prefer more of a scrubbing
    Beware of poison ivy!
    Official Forum Curmudgeon Nonsense, I have not yet begun to defile myself.
    Tact: The skill of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    151 Post(s)
    As I understand the concept, I'm supposed to carry a very limited supply of ammo for my own hardware, along with a similarly limited supply of ammo for a variety of other hardware that I may happen to acquire through the use of my own hardware with its limited ammo supply. And the reason I carry ammo for hardware I may acquire is because I won't acquire any ammo with said newly acquired hardware?

Is that about it?

This sounds like a pitch from folks who would sell me desert real estate and promise it would soon be turned into a paradise neighborhood...

John W in SC