Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ammo in your Bug Out Bag

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    208 Post(s)
    My bugout/bugin guns are all very common calibers like 9mm NATO, .45 ACP NATO, 7.62X51 NATO (.308), 5.56X45 NATO (.223), and 12 gauge NATO. The latest and greatest exotic calibers are fun to shoot at the range, but may be worthless in a SHTF situation. I prefer going with calibers that are usually available at a general store and bait shop in rural areas or at National Guard armories.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1240 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    My bugout/bugin guns are all very common calibers like 9mm NATO, .45 ACP NATO, 7.62X51 NATO (.308), 5.56X45 NATO (.223), and 12 gauge NATO. The latest and greatest exotic calibers are fun to shoot at the range, but may be worthless in a SHTF situation. I prefer going with calibers that are usually available at a general store and bait shop in rural areas or at National Guard armories.
    On the other hand, those common calibers will be the first to disappear. The exotics may get passed over. Having one in reserve may be the difference between one last remaining box of 9mm Mak or none at all.
    Official Forum Curmudgeon Nonsense, I have not yet begun to defile myself.
    Tact: The skill of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    147 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NONAME762 View Post
    "Survival Guns" I believe was written by a man who at that time early to mid 1970s was the premier authority on everything to do with the great outdoors. His name? Mel Tappan. It's been 40+ years but seems he was striken with a medical condition that started quick and got worse faster than doctors could fix him. His wife Nancy Tappan tried valiantly to continue his work while dealing with the tragedy of losing her husband at such a young age. At that time I had an incurable thirst for outdoor sports in the mountains in the forests and survival should circumstances go completely sideways. Hope this helps Hackberry.
    Thanks. Yes, Mel Tappan. A good book. Sorry to hear about his death.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    208 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    On the other hand, those common calibers will be the first to disappear. The exotics may get passed over. Having one in reserve may be the difference between one last remaining box of 9mm Mak or none at all.

That is when I break out the .44-40, 10mm, and .45 Colt.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Beware of poison ivy!
    Well OV I don't know what poison ivy even looks like or if we have that up here. However we are fairly setup with a plant that's a realpain in the watoosie. It's called Devil's Club. You tangle with that you're in the Suck. It's a large broad leaf like a maple leaf and it's a large bush. Think of it as like concertina wire, lovely to look at from afar. My standing rule with razor wire is keep back 20 feet. Tangle with it you're in a world of hurt. My best guess for immediate first aid would be find some cool mud strip down and wallow in the cool mud until the sting goes out. We have stinging nettles here too. The nettles are like the third string team. Devil's Club is the 1st string players with 2/3 returning seniors that took All State last year.
    Last edited by NONAME762; May 19th, 2018 at 08:38 PM. Reason: clarity
    Come January 20th 2017 there be a New SHERIFF hereabouts Yehaaaaa
    How much nuffin could a dindu do if a dindu dindu nuffin?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hackberry View Post
    Thanks. Yes, Mel Tappan. A good book. Sorry to hear about his death.
    Glad to be of service sir. When I was last here the name Mel Tappan hit me like a ton of bricks so I just ran with it.
    Come January 20th 2017 there be a New SHERIFF hereabouts Yehaaaaa
    How much nuffin could a dindu do if a dindu dindu nuffin?