Thread: Friday 13th ain't over yet folks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    268 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BMcPhe44 View Post
    Perhaps you are right but there is a lot of stuff that suggests he did. The US and Britain pushed for an investigation into the site by a UN team to determine who did it and what gas was used. Russia used its veto to prevent this. Why would they do that? They also have proof of a Syrian helicopter over the area at the time of the attacks and a lot more stuff.

But let’s assume you are right and we get proof tomorrow that the rebels did it, then we can bomb the rebels. I would be for that as well. I am an equal opportunity hater of all that claim loyalty to the political system known as the Islamic Caliphate as set forth in the teachings of The Prophet, and I would rather we fight them over there than over here.
    In bold. Both the US and Russia drafted resolutions for an independent investigation. Yes Russia used it's veto power on ours. Russia's resolution also failed. Details on that are hard to find and barely a blip in MSM. All I have seen is we claim the Russians proposal gave Russia an unfair advantage. No detailed Russian explaination I have seen reported for their veto of our proposal.
    Lots of things are troubling with this one for me. Even if I leave out the fact that some of my favorite people like McCain, Graham, and yup Hillary all came out publically pushing for this. (No red flags there)

Lots of questions like who's intelligence did Trump base this on. His good friends at our CIA? UKs intelligence?

Like I've stated in other posts our house need some order before we can trust any of this.

Relatively recent history is not a good reflection of the efficacy of either the US or UK intelligence.. I just feel like we are being manipulated. UK, France, and even Isreal would never consider poking the bear on their own.

Heck Mattis couldn't even answer the question last night as to whether we knew exactly what chemical agents were used... Wonder if he could answer what WMDs we found in Iraq?
    Pardon me, Sir, for this difference of opinion. my personal interest in such questions is entirely extinct; but not my wishes for the longest possible continuance of our government on it’s pure principles.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    126 Post(s)
    Fox News interviewed Lt. Colonel Reese (Ret), a former Delta Force operator who now does humanitarian work in Syria. He is on the ground in Syria multiple times a year. He said that Assad is responsible for the gas attacks and that if people in the US really knew how horrible the situation is there, they would be outraged and screaming for the us to intervene.

He said that in addition to the moral interest there, the American interest is that Syria is a breeding ground for ISIS. We will will not solve the ISIS problem until the Syria problem is fixed. He said that a coalition is a good idea, but the current coalition is not what is needed. He said the coalition needs to include Arab countries or this will always be an "us vs. them" situation. But the US is the only power left in the world that could put such a coalition together.

I have conducted military operation in that area and I was proud to do it. I never for a minute thought: "Why am I putting in on the line for my country halfway around the world?" The world's problems are our problems. We fight overseas so we don't have to fight here. That is the yoke of responsibility being the greatest country in the world.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    189 Post(s)
    I really do not know what to believe anymore.
    What you hear anymore is biased with what political slant the news agency have.
    Are we being told the truth? Maybe, maybe not.
    The harsh reality is, there is no way of knowing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    320 Post(s)
    Come on guys and girls I would much rather we fight them there than here in America.
    U.S. Army (Ret) 1953-1977 ‘‘The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able may have a gun.’’
    — Patrick Henry

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    268 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chuck View Post
    Come on guys and girls I would much rather we fight them there than here in America.
    Fight who? Jaysh al-islam (army of Islam) formally known as Liwa al-islam (brigade of Islam)... Oh wait that's who we are helping to try and overthrow Assad. The rebels!!!

And who knows formally known as ISIL which was formally known as ISIS which was formally formally known as al something or another.
    Last edited by nlyric; April 14th, 2018 at 11:41 AM.
    Pardon me, Sir, for this difference of opinion. my personal interest in such questions is entirely extinct; but not my wishes for the longest possible continuance of our government on it’s pure principles.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    226 Post(s)
    Relatively recent history is not a good reflection of the efficacy of either the US or UK intelligence.. I just feel like we are being manipulated. UK, France, and even Isreal would never consider poking the bear on their own.
    Israel cannot afford, nor does the US want them to inject themselves into a war that they were not directly attacked. But the Israelis have said their intelligence shows that it was the Syrian government who made the chemical attacks. Of course the naysayers indicate that Israel has a motive for blaming Assad but I am not sure that Israel would not prefer to keep a known in power rather than an unknown---aka the Rebels. I believe Israel will eventually destroy Damascus, perhaps with a nuke strike, after they themselves are hit.

Heck Mattis couldn't even answer the question last night as to whether we knew exactly what chemical agents were used... Wonder if he could answer what WMDs we found in Iraq?
    The interview I saw Mattis said they had identified Chlorine and suspected (from the symptoms exhibited) Sarin. Of course I have never heard of those two chemicals being used at the same time but during the Iraq war it was accepted intelligence among many in Israel that the WMDs of Hussein were trucked into Syria. I read one article that went so far as identifying the caves where they were hid for awhile. There were also several instances where chemical WMDs were found in Iraq. This was glossed over by the MSM as too little too late.

I do not disagree that there is the possibility of nefarious intentions in all of this, but I am happy as long as we are killing them somewhere, or at least blocking them and their evil intentions, it is the only thing that will slow them down.

Were I more open-minded I might get my hopes up with the signs that indicate that bin Salman's reform push in Saudi Arabia is on the level, but history shows that you just can't trust them, so I am happy whenever we (or anyone else) puts the hammer on them.
    “Civil Wars happen when the victimized are armed. Genocide happens when they are not.”
    ― A.E. Samaan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    101 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John W in SC View Post
    We have a choice of supporting a brutal dictator who slaughters his own people, or the Islamist opposition that wants to slaughter the kafir everywhere. Once again, no good choices.

John W in SC
    It is a nasty mess over there. I do not envy any President the job of having to deal with that region. It will all be settled once and for all one day, but until then, there are no easy answers.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1043 Post(s)
    I'm content to let them kill themselves off in the meantime.
    Official Forum Curmudgeon Nonsense, I have not yet begun to defile myself.
    Tact: The skill of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.