Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Homeowner shoots at kid asking for directions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)
    I sure hope the shooter has carry insurance like NRA Carry Guard or CCW Safe. He is going to need a good lawyer and deep pockets to stand any chance of not going to the pokey.
    NRA Patriot Life Member (Patron), SAF - CCRKBA, NAGR, Handgunlaw.us Donor, Maryland Shall Issue

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeanlouise View Post
    I agree that the guy should have never shot at the kid. Thank heavens the kid wasn't hit.

I wonder if the reason the kid was at the door in the first place will make any difference in what will happen to the shooter. It's also possible the kid was telling the truth and he was looking for his school. Seems a little sketchy but I suppose anything can be true. Even so, the guy should never have shot at him. He better be thanking God right now that he's such a bad shot.
    I don't think it will. The intentions of the kid notwithstanding, citizens (at least in the states I have lived in) don't allow for shooting at someone who has not (yet) presented a threat. The kid may be a dirtbag, but until Jr. Dirtbag does something criminal, shooting at him is a no-no. None of us were there, so we can't say for sure what happened, but it also won't help that the homeowner has a road rage incident on his record and that his account doesn't line up with what is seen on the video (which I would love to see).
    A man, without force, is without the essential dignity of humanity. Human nature is so constituted, that it cannot honor a helpless man, although it can pity him; and even this it cannot do long, if the signs of power do not arise.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    138 Post(s)
    Re-reading the story, it seems the guy's wife may be the culprit in getting him to think the kid was a threat. The man wasn't even at the door initially, and didn't come down the stairs and grab the gun until after his wife was screaming at the kid.

That doesn't excuse shooting at a fleeing person who hasn't presented a threat, but it could explain why the man thought the kid was a threat.

After all, if my wife started screaming at the front door "WHY ARE YOU TRYING TO BREAK IN?" I would be inclined to believe her over a stranger standing in the doorway. But no, I wouldn't shoot until I believed a deadly threat was about to attack me or my wife. A kid running away doesn't even come close to that.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth