Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Higher Loyalty or A Higher Standard?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    152 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    "Higher Loyalty"

Oh please. This gag fest of a book is not going to be one I will read, ever. <snip>
    I'll put it on my reading list for right after I finish reading Hillary's latest book. (Hint: Don't be holding your breath!)

John W in SC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    189 Post(s)
    I don't mean any disrespect but alarm bells start going off in my head when ever someone starts talking about the greater good.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1050 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    I don't mean any disrespect but alarm bells start going off in my head when ever someone starts talking about the greater good.
    But that's for the greater good!
    Official Forum Curmudgeon Nonsense, I have not yet begun to defile myself.
    Tact: The skill of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    776 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    Yup.

It's generally "code" for: liberty and/or wealth destruction or redistribution.
    Cardinal principle: Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Philosophy: Why the Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos)
    On the RKBA: Most of what you think you know about our Constitution is wrong -- Michael Badnarik

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    359 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Yup.

It's generally "code" for: liberty and/or wealth destruction or redistribution.
    Or, for "I'm saying it's for you, but it's really hidden graft for me."
    TANSTAAFL - "Moon is a Harsh Mistress"
    OldVet, 30 March 2018: "But being the agreeable sort, I agree."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    138 Post(s)
    Over the years I've come to think that oaths are only as good as the character of the person raising their hand.

I've taken many oaths over the years. None of them has been the reason for actually following through. For example, most men don't cheat on their wives, but it's not the vows that drive their behavior. These men would most likely still not cheat on their wives even without their vows. Similarly some men cheat despite their vows, and their character is such that no oath is likely to influence their behavior.

Character matters.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    152 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tree Potato View Post
    <snip>

Character matters.

^^^^^^^^^^^^
    That right there is the key to the whole thing!

John W in SC

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    296 Post(s)
    Over the years I've come to think that oaths are only as good as the character of the person raising their hand.

I've taken many oaths over the years. None of them has been the reason for actually following through. For example, most men don't cheat on their wives, but it's not the vows that drive their behavior. These men would most likely still not cheat on their wives even without their vows. Similarly some men cheat despite their vows, and their character is such that no oath is likely to influence their behavior.

Character matters.
    Yes, this is what I was trying to say in my first post.
    Contact your reps about restrictive gun laws->https://act.nraila.org/
    Lady Shooters! PM me if you would like to join a female private firearms sub-group!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    81 Post(s)
    Civil service ... The guy/girl on street level is basically following the intent of their job description. One level up and you get the beginnings of a bureaucrat. Each level up is a further step into bureaucracy and perception over substance ... and cronyism. No one escapes the quicksand.

Critiquing people that we basically know from what the media tells us is focusing on an illusion. Trump Vs Comey is viewed through what we have invested in our own ideology ... and nothing else matters.

We judge ourselves on our intentions ... we judge others on the results of their behavior.
    The future is coming whether we want it or not. And when the dam breaks we better know how to swim.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    776 Post(s)

Character matters.
    Oaths should be as sharp as the guillotines that hold such folks accountable, I say. For the core, fundamental, foundational civil liberties this whole "experiment" is based on. Absolutely.

Until that day, we're going to continue to get more of the same.
    Cardinal principle: Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Philosophy: Why the Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos)
    On the RKBA: Most of what you think you know about our Constitution is wrong -- Michael Badnarik

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    152 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sporadic View Post
    Civil service <snip>

We judge ourselves on our intentions ... we judge others on the results of their behavior.
    Too many of them aren't particularly "civil". As for the "service" part, if you know anything about breeding animals, you know where this is going...

;-)

John W in SC