Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 46 to 56 of 56

Thread: Holy Cow!!!! Off duty Leo pulls gun on guy he "thinks" shoplifted Mentos

  1. #46
    Senior Member chuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Fl.
    Posts
    1,966
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    347 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakyak View Post
    To each his own I reckon. I can't see working at a most likely minimum wage convenience store job, and contemplating drawing on an off duty police officer (who I likely don't know), to help save a customer (who I likely don't know) over a pack of Mentos.
    Food for thought: Without those less fortunate than you, who would provide such services to you? The Pakistani that owns the local Valero Gas and convenience store also works as the manger/clerk. He has more money than me, owns newer cars, and lives in a $800k house in a gated community.
    So you would just stand there and let some nitwit draw down on you. The customer and clerk were lucky this time. What if the guy only claimed to be a cop, but was a robber. Most armed robberies end badly for the clerk(s).
    U.S. Army (Ret) 1953-1977 ‘‘The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able may have a gun.’’
    — Patrick Henry

  2. #47
    Senior Member Ghost1958's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    2,825
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    197 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakyak View Post
    To each his own I reckon. I can't see working at a most likely minimum wage convenience store job, and contemplating drawing on an off duty police officer (who I likely don't know), to help save a customer (who I likely don't know) over a pack of Mentos.

    I get chucks point.
    Anyone can say police officer while fumbling a gun out of his pocket and racking in a live round.

    Anyone not clearly a cop drawing a gun making demands near me is a lethal threat to me.

    This guy is an idiot doing a very good imitation of a armed robber who anywhere in my area would have been shot, quite legally.

    Saying police officer with no display of badge etc means nothing.

    Appear and act like a armed threat you get treated as an armed threat.

    The moron had no authority to tell the guy to leave anyway.

    He could try to arrest or leave it alone. That's it and that's all.
    "I have never seen a Kentuckian without a gun and a pack of cards and a bottle of whiskey in my life" - Andrew Jackson

  3. #48
    Curmudgeon OldVet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Margaritaville
    Posts
    10,373
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1263 Post(s)
    If the guy wasn't buying diet Coke to go with the Mentoes, I'd have been suspicious too. I mean really, who buys Mentoes to eat?
    Official Forum Curmudgeon Nonsense, I have not yet begun to defile myself.
    Tact: The skill of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

  4. #49
    Senior Member Nakyak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Under the Twister
    Posts
    3,082
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    751 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuck View Post
    Food for thought: Without those less fortunate than you, who would provide such services to you? The Pakistani that owns the local Valero Gas and convenience store also works as the manger/clerk. He has more money than me, owns newer cars, and lives in a $800k house in a gated community.
    So you would just stand there and let some nitwit draw down on you. The customer and clerk were lucky this time. What if the guy only claimed to be a cop, but was a robber. Most armed robberies end badly for the clerk(s).
    "What if's" are what differentiate situations. IMO the clerk was never threatened, the off duty police officer had his attention on the supposed thief. I don't own a convenience store, so I can only speak from my point of view. And as such, I have no desire to try and draw on a person who doesn't seem to be interested in robbing the place. And as bad as it sounds, I'm not interested in putting my life on the line for a customer that I don't know over some candy. In a different scenario, who knows, I'm only basing my opinion on what the video shows.

  5. #50
    Senior Member Nakyak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Under the Twister
    Posts
    3,082
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    751 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1958 View Post
    I get chucks point.
    Anyone can say police officer while fumbling a gun out of his pocket and racking in a live round.

    Anyone not clearly a cop drawing a gun making demands near me is a lethal threat to me.

    This guy is an idiot doing a very good imitation of a armed robber who anywhere in my area would have been shot, quite legally.

    Saying police officer with no display of badge etc means nothing.

    Appear and act like a armed threat you get treated as an armed threat.

    The moron had no authority to tell the guy to leave anyway.

    He could try to arrest or leave it alone. That's it and that's all.
    Oh I get that this officer was a moron. All I'm saying is I wouldn't have felt like my life was threatened, as the clerk, based solely on the video. Could that decision possibly have cost me my life? Sure, but in this particular case, it ended without anyone drawing on the officer.

  6. #51
    Senior Member Ghost1958's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    2,825
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    197 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakyak View Post
    Oh I get that this officer was a moron. All I'm saying is I wouldn't have felt like my life was threatened, as the clerk, based solely on the video. Could that decision possibly have cost me my life? Sure, but in this particular case, it ended without anyone drawing on the officer.
    That's a valid response.

    Personally draw a weapon in a store and start making demands, any demands and me or mine are there they are an armed threatand will be dealt with as such.

    If they are not in uniform and show no badge I don't care if they claim to be the Pope.
    The person is acting in a manner any reasonable person could disregard their claim of police and consider him an armed criminal.

    Obviously guns carried in the open don't bother me. Even carried in the hand.
    Start barking orders and acting like a thug, at that point your a armed thug.

    Just me though.
    "I have never seen a Kentuckian without a gun and a pack of cards and a bottle of whiskey in my life" - Andrew Jackson

  7. #52
    Curmudgeon OldVet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Margaritaville
    Posts
    10,373
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1263 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit212 View Post
    http://www.ocregister.com/2018/05/04...ealing-mentos/

    Words fail me.......and I usually say too much.
    A motion has been made that Rabbit says too much. Do we hear a second?
    Official Forum Curmudgeon Nonsense, I have not yet begun to defile myself.
    Tact: The skill of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

  8. #53
    Senior Member Rabbit212's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Deep South Texas
    Posts
    609
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    61 Post(s)

    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    A motion has been made that Rabbit says too much. Do we hear a second?
    Second

  9. #54
    Senior Member NONAME762's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Behind Enemy lines
    Posts
    1,707
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit212 View Post
    Second
    I 3rd it.
    Come January 20th 2017 there be a New SHERIFF hereabouts Yehaaaaa
    How much nuffin could a dindu do if a dindu dindu nuffin?

  10. #55
    Senior Member Rabbit212's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Deep South Texas
    Posts
    609
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    61 Post(s)

    The motion passes!!! All in favor of telling Rabbit to shut the heck up please indicate so by saying aye all opposed indicate so with a no.

  11. #56
    Senior Member Nakyak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Under the Twister
    Posts
    3,082
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    751 Post(s)
    I'm going with no.

    I say speak how ever much you want

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •