Unrepentant chocoholic ShooterGranny's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    317 Post(s)

Questions about Fiocchi ammo and LAXammo as supplier

I've done as much research as I can regarding LAXammunition out of California. it is www.laxammo.com I can't find any recent reviews of their service/reliability and need to know if anyone has ordered from them within the last year. I sent them an email question and received a response within hours, so that was one point in their favor.

They have a flat rate shipping charge of $12.50 for orders over $150 and my order would be well over that. Their flat rate shipping is sent UPS ground, according to the reply I received from them.

Next question is about Fiocchi .380 ammo, which is what I would buy if I ordered from LAX. Has anyone used Fiocchi .380 and if so in which brand/model guns? This will be range ammo for me. I'm set for SD carry ammo for quite a while, even with shooting a magazine of it from time to time.

Again, from what I read, it seems that it is on par with S&B, running a bit on the hot side like a lot of European ammo. My Glocks like S&B a lot. My SIG P238's like almost anything - so far. I do not shoot steel or aluminum cased or reloads.

Feedback from anyone who has answers to my questions will be greatly appreciated!

It looks to me like ammo is currently at about the best prices it is going to be and the price of metal is increasing so the price of ammo might well go up also. I want to be sure I'm well stocked since I HOPE to get more range time in this year.
    If you think changes need to be made - get out and DO SOMETHING positive!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    51 Post(s)
    We have some Fiocchi ammo, it seems fine, including .380 for the wife's G42.
    "The secret of freedom lies in educating people, whereas the secret of
    tyranny is in keeping them ignorant." - Maximilien Robespierre

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1240 Post(s)
    I used some Fiocchi 9mm Mak and have no complaints.
    Official Forum Curmudgeon Nonsense, I have not yet begun to defile myself.
    Tact: The skill of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    211 Post(s)
    I've used Fiocchi .380 rounds, probably 1000 rounds thru a variety of pistols. Good quality ammo that goes bang. My Glock 42 didn't like it but that Glock was a picky thing. Sold it a long time ago.
    I find supremely ironic that God in his wisdom and grace has given man freedom of choice bounded by 10 simple rules. Man in his finite wisdom has created millions of rules to limit freedom of choice and personal responsibility of man.

Unrepentant chocoholic ShooterGranny's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    317 Post(s)

I just placed the order for a case of Fiocchi .380 from LAX ammunition, based on these comments plus several positive ones from another forum, added to the on line research I had already done.

The price per round including their flat rate shipping is 22.25 cents. Considering that the last bulk order i got was about 2 cents a round higher than that, and also that when I first got my Glock 42 the .380 ammo was 31 cents a round if and when you could find any, I feel pretty good about this price.

Of course I will feel better when the package arrives, hopefully in good condition. I will try to remember to post a report on delivery time, etc. It is coming by UPS with the LAX flat rate shipping charge. I'm not expecting it to arrive until next week because their web says 3 to 5 days until they actually ship - then add probably 4 or 5 days in transit from California.

It won't be in time for the first summer session of the new Ladies' shooting group at our club, but will give me a good excuse to make one more range trip!
    If you think changes need to be made - get out and DO SOMETHING positive!

Thinking about it Over_Cogitate's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    79 Post(s)
    I've run quite a bit of the Fiocchi .380 in both my LCP and my G42 with no problems.

Not all Fiocchi ammo is of the same quality. Some of their rifle calibers have had some issues with being weak and causing cycling issues, but Fiocchi isn't one factory. Different types of their ammo are made in different countries so I guess it could be a QC thing in a certain factory. Their .380 seems good to go.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    872 Post(s)
    I've rarely used the Fiocchi brand ammo. Frankly, I haven't used it enough to say whether it's the ammo or the sidearms, in my case, which caused the comparative unreliability.

Details ...

So far as I recall, I can't remember ever having used the FMJ Fiocchi rounds, but I have tried some of the JHP. In my experience, it didn't turn out to be the most reliable of ammo, but that could easily have been due to the relative newness of the sidearms I was trying the ammo on. These were the NAA Guardian 380, and Kel-Tec P3AT 380.

Generally, I seriously question a sidearm's ability to be dead-nuts reliable with specific ammo until I've shot the snot out of a gun with that specific ammo. I've had far too many instances of guns that end up reliable with some ammo but horribly awful with another. In the case of the Fiocchi stuff, little as I used it, I suspected at the time it was due to the sharp nature of the angles/edges of the "cone" of the JHP bullet itself. As compare to, say, the Remington Golden Saber, which has a much more curved and smooth JHP.

I suppose I don't have anything against the Fiocchi ammo, as I've not had much experience with it beyond a couple 50rd boxes. Not enough to make a solid judgment either way.
    Cardinal principle: Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Philosophy: Why the Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos)
    On the RKBA: Most of what you think you know about our Constitution is wrong -- Michael Badnarik

Thinking about it Over_Cogitate's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    79 Post(s)
    For clarification - all of my Fiocchi .380 ammo has been FMJ and it has been flawless.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShooterGranny View Post
    I've done as much research as I can regarding LAXammunition out of California. it is www.laxammo.com I can't find any recent reviews of their service/reliability and need to know if anyone has ordered from them within the last year. I sent them an email question and received a response within hours, so that was one point in their favor.

They have a flat rate shipping charge of $12.50 for orders over $150 and my order would be well over that. Their flat rate shipping is sent UPS ground, according to the reply I received from them.

Next question is about Fiocchi .380 ammo, which is what I would buy if I ordered from LAX. Has anyone used Fiocchi .380 and if so in which brand/model guns? This will be range ammo for me. I'm set for SD carry ammo for quite a while, even with shooting a magazine of it from time to time.

Again, from what I read, it seems that it is on par with S&B, running a bit on the hot side like a lot of European ammo. My Glocks like S&B a lot. My SIG P238's like almost anything - so far. I do not shoot steel or aluminum cased or reloads.

Feedback from anyone who has answers to my questions will be greatly appreciated!

It looks to me like ammo is currently at about the best prices it is going to be and the price of metal is increasing so the price of ammo might well go up also. I want to be sure I'm well stocked since I HOPE to get more range time in this year.
    I use it and it always goes bang!
    My only platform is a SIG P230sl

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk