Thread: Vedder holsters....what's the "claw" for?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

Vedder holsters....what's the "claw" for?

So I am looking at getting a Vedder IWB holster for one or two of my carry guns and I see there is the option to include the claw. Can someone who owns one of these tell me what purpose the claw serves? I assume it is some kind of stabilization device but I'm not sure how it works. If you have one, do you see any improvement in stabilization or less holster slip? Any benefit to it at all?

DSC_9065__21780.1516038993.png.jpg

Unrepentant chocoholic ShooterGranny's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    361 Post(s)
    I think it is supposed to push against your waistband/gun belt area and bring the rear of the holster - meaning the grip of the gun - closer to your body to reduce printing. So far most people who have used them and reported on this and one other forum I belong to think they are great. For an extra $5 you could try one to see if it does that for you or not.
    If you think changes need to be made - get out and DO SOMETHING positive!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    872 Post(s)
    SG is correct. I don't have a Vedder, but the holster I do have has the wing and it does help with printing.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    269 Post(s)
    Like SG said, the “claw” is to help tuck the grip by giving something to press against the belt further away from the main holster without significantly adding to the footprint of the holster. Some holster makers also call it a “wing”. I see it predominantly on AIWB holsters. I do not have a holster with a “claw”, but I do have one that has an extension plate which is meant to do the same thing and it does help with concealment.
    "It’s the unconquerable soul of man, not the nature of the weapon he uses, that insures victory." Gen George S. Patton

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

Cool, thanks for the answers guys! Much appreciated!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    179 Post(s)
    SG is right. I have a Vedder and installed a claw on it, before Vedder offered their own. For AIWB it's good to rotate the grip toward the gut to reduce printing. I 100% recommend getting it if you're going to carry AIWB.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    120 Post(s)
    I am thinking of getting a new holster (AIWB) and it's between Vedder and Tulster Holsters!
    Gun culture at its best is rooted in a desire to protect, and especially to protect the people we love-Rachel Lu (University of St. Thomas)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    72 Post(s)
    Vedder is Good To Go!!! Have the light tuck with the claw for my CZ PCR and it tucks in so well at 1 o'clock that I can conceal it with the tightest t-shirt, heck I can conceal it with a dark colored muscle shirt.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    72 Post(s)
    Hmmmmmm.....so I got a message saying I couldn't submit my original posting because I was using a censored word is this something new or have I just never used a censored word before in my posts. The only thing I changed to let me post was "muscle" shirt replaced the more common "A" style shirt description of someone who beats their wife.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    72 Post(s)
    That man beats his wife. Weird lets me post this way.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    72 Post(s)
    Anyways buy the Vedder. I much prefer the Vedders clip mounted at the bottom then at the top like the Tulster uses its very adjustable for ride height and cant. Its also the first tuckable holster that lets me actually tuck my shirts in and look as a tucked in shirt should.
    Last edited by Rabbit212; June 7th, 2018 at 12:38 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    72 Post(s)
    I have the Vedder sans claw and I love the thing. I might want to look into adding “the claw” at some point though!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    122 Post(s)
    For those of you that carry strong side at 3:00 or 4:00, does the claw make it more difficult to remove the holster? One of the things I love about my Vedder is how easy it is to insert and remove the holster with my gun in it. I have concerns that the claw might snag a little and make that a little more difficult to do.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    872 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallsrider View Post
    For those of you that carry strong side at 3:00 or 4:00, does the claw make it more difficult to remove the holster? One of the things I love about my Vedder is how easy it is to insert and remove the holster with my gun in it. I have concerns that the claw might snag a little and make that a little more difficult to do.
    I don't carry at that position, but my holster is slightly more difficult to put on with the wing. It's no problem removing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

Ordered one today, with the claw. On't $5 more with the claw so why not right? If I don't like it I can easily take it off.