Thread: "Texas" BBQ gun

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)

"Texas" BBQ gun

Heading out tomorrow to a get together which the host describes as a Texas BBQ. Never having been to a Texas BBQ, here or in Texas who knows how accurate his interpretation will be but it should be fun. HE is cooking a side of beef over an open pit all night and guests are invited to bling up a bit and wear their fancy shooting irons and gear to show off. I am not a real blingy kind of guy, about the best I can do is a 1970 Bulova Snorkel "Devil diver" and a chrome plated Detroit PD Colt with stag grips. At the very least the food should be great.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180609_191547[123].jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	94.3 KB 
ID:	15008

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    259 Post(s)
    Nice, my combination would be my Les Baer and Glycine Airman.

Name:	Les_Baer_R.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	92.3 KB 
ID:	15009 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Glycine.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	32.8 KB 
ID:	15010
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.
    1/20/2017 The end of an error.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)

I always liked the Airman. I especially loved the maroon faced one they had years ago which I regretfully di not buy. Have not seen one for sale for years

Unrepentant chocoholic ShooterGranny's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    361 Post(s)
    Hope you have a white Stetson to wear also.
    If you think changes need to be made - get out and DO SOMETHING positive!

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    966 Post(s)
    The stag grips 'make' that gun, IMO. Looks great.

Ditto, on the Stetson. Paired with some quality 'cowboy' leather, it ought to do you well at barbecues.
    Cardinal principle: Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Philosophy: Why the Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos)
    On the RKBA: Most of what you think you know about our Constitution is wrong -- Michael Badnarik

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1343 Post(s)
    Best I can do is a Glock and a Timex. Both take a licking and keep on ticking.
    Official Forum Curmudgeon Nonsense, I have not yet begun to defile myself.
    Tact: The skill of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    361 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Best I can do is a Glock and a Timex. Both take a licking and keep on ticking.
    But they don't get invited to Texas BBQ parties.
    Last edited by ShooterGranny; June 10th, 2018 at 09:51 PM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1343 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShooterGranny View Post
    But they don't get invited to Texas BBQ parties.
    Apparently not...
    Official Forum Curmudgeon Nonsense, I have not yet begun to defile myself.
    Tact: The skill of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

NUTS! Gen. McAuliffe Stumpkiller's Avatar
    Upstate NY in the headlands of the foothills
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    221 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lee1959 View Post
    Heading out tomorrow to a get together which the host describes as a Texas BBQ. Never having been to a Texas BBQ, here or in Texas who knows how accurate his interpretation will be but it should be fun. HE is cooking a side of beef over an open pit all night and guests are invited to bling up a bit and wear their fancy shooting irons and gear to show off. I am not a real blingy kind of guy, about the best I can do is a 1970 Bulova Snorkel "Devil diver" and a chrome plated Detroit PD Colt with stag grips. At the very least the food should be great.

Name:	20180609_191547[123].jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	94.3 KB 
ID:	15008

Sweet piece.

But if you need that he didn't par-boil the beef long enough.
    Every word of God is pure; He is a Shield (TM) unto them that put their trust in Him. Proverbs 30:5
    In training to be the forum's assistant deputy backup curmudgeon

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    361 Post(s)
    @lee1959 We're waiting for a report about the BBQ party. It would be nice if you thought to take pictures of the blingiest folks there.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)

Sorry have been running around the past couple of days, lasts 4 days of school here, so a lot of end of year things to tie up. It was a blast, lots of good food and people, and lots of sweet guns. There were several Wilson Combat pieces which had me drooling. I got slowest reload outside of the SAA division using my DPD issued cartridge loop belt slide and dump pouch, I guess they make these new fangled things called speedloaders which most revolver shooters used. But I got to say I did pretty good on the targets, even beat an 80 year old using a 1911 in the speed shooting drill.

I think the stag grips really set it off. When I first saw the revolver it was wearing a cracked Colt grip panel and a Hip Grip which facilitates "Mexican" carry, sorry that is probably a politically incorrect these days way of saying stuff it in the waist band of your pants with no holster. I got these and put them on and my father in law loved it. This and his 4 inch chromed DPD Police Positive were the only handguns he ever owned, Interesting side note, he told me that Detroit PD would buy blued guns from Colt and then have them chromed locally rather than buy directly from Colt.

As far as dress goes, I probably looked like a Texas bootlegger more than a cowboy as I did have my cowboy boots but the only hat I had was a Stetson Fedora.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    361 Post(s)
    Gosh, I didn't realize it was a shootin' contest too. Speedloaders are your friends! No comment on you beating someone my age. None at all.

Hope you had good food also.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterGranny View Post
    Gosh, I didn't realize it was a shootin' contest too. Speedloaders are your friends! No comment on you beating someone my age. None at all.

Hope you had good food also.
    It was just all in fun not really formal shooting. As far as beating the older gentleman, I think he was closer to 90, he was using the 1911 he used in WWII, and was super slow, taking real careful aimed shots. A lot of the more competitive guys did not want to shoot in the lane next to him, but I was just having a gas, obviously since I was shooting from belt loops and using a 50s Dick Special so I shot with him. Even though he could load faster I could shoot faster and I "won" lol. And the guys around voted me the slowest reload in the group. I do have speedloaders at home which would have worked with the Colt but that would have ruined the effect.

Like I said, just all in good fun, showing off whatever you brought and having fun.

The food, was the star attraction, such a good spread this guy put on it was amazing, if you went away hungry it was your fault, no matter how picky an eater you are.