Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Today is the first day of the rest of my life.

Moderator of the Universe jeanlouise's Avatar
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1294 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell View Post
    Get your LinkedIn profile updated and get on Indeed.com and Glassdoor.com. Theladders.com is so-so and expensive. I get more responses from my LinkedIn and Indeed.com profiles.

Max

Indeed.com is a very good one. In this area, that seems to be the "go to" site for employers looking for employees.

Best of luck to you BHG. Things have a way of working out for the best, even though that isn't apparent right now.

Take the time off to enjoy yourself for a few days. Look at it like a gift, a chance to go to the range, read, do something you want to do but didn't have the time.

Something will turn up before long, probably where it's least expected.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    269 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sporadic View Post
    Science (women have more frontal brain activity then men) and myself (women as co-workers and supervisors) are convinced that women are better decision makers then men. The down side to that extra mental activity ... excessive worry and proness to depression. Please try meditation and maybe a tai chi class. If someone in your area teaches Qigong that would be even better. Positive energy coming your way.
    I find your post ineresting and accurate. My first Chief in the Navy had made a few similar points about women in relation to decion-making and constant mental activity of thinking and analyzing. For many it is hard to shut off and can become overwhelming.

The recommendation of meditation is what I was going to recommend as well Whether prayer, mediation, structured or not; finding a way to clear your mind and stop thinking on everything is very beneficial. Mentally letting go and stop thinking of everything to clear your mind, so you can find some peace and rest. Often if things are really getting to me clearing my mind is what then helps me see what to do next or at last gives me the strength to take the steps I need.

For many this is hard because if you try to meditate at first all the things that are bothering you are crashing into your thoughts and then you wind up thinking on them more and causing more angst trying not to think of them. If this is a problem you are having, I have found a couple things that help me. When I first started someone recommended writing down the things that were bothering me or that came into my thoughts preventing me from relaxing, even while trying to meditate. The writing down acknowledged the thought and allowed your mind to move on from it. For some a mandala image helps also. Find an image that seems relaxing that you can focus on. I personally tend to like celtic knots where I can mentally follow the string. You focus so much on the design that all other thoughts disappear. When I can reach that point other than just feeling more calm and peaceful, I sometimes find helpfully solutions or directions come to me.

I donít know if this will help you BHG but hopefully you will find something that does.
    "Itís the unconquerable soul of man, not the nature of the weapon he uses, that insures victory." Gen George S. Patton

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    344 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SOS24 View Post
    I find your post ineresting and accurate. My first Chief in the Navy had made a few similar points about women in relation to decion-making and constant mental activity of thinking and analyzing. For many it is hard to shut off and can become overwhelming.

The recommendation of meditation is what I was going to recommend as well Whether prayer, mediation, structured or not; finding a way to clear your mind and stop thinking on everything is very beneficial. Mentally letting go and stop thinking of everything to clear your mind, so you can find some peace and rest. Often if things are really getting to me clearing my mind is what then helps me see what to do next or at last gives me the strength to take the steps I need.

For many this is hard because if you try to meditate at first all the things that are bothering you are crashing into your thoughts and then you wind up thinking on them more and causing more angst trying not to think of them. If this is a problem you are having, I have found a couple things that help me. When I first started someone recommended writing down the things that were bothering me or that came into my thoughts preventing me from relaxing, even while trying to meditate. The writing down acknowledged the thought and allowed your mind to move on from it. For some a mandala image helps also. Find an image that seems relaxing that you can focus on. I personally tend to like celtic knots where I can mentally follow the string. You focus so much on the design that all other thoughts disappear. When I can reach that point other than just feeling more calm and peaceful, I sometimes find helpfully solutions or directions come to me.

I don’t know if this will help you BHG but hopefully you will find something that does.
    Thank you for the ideas on techniques to calm the invasive thoughts and subsequent non-stop analysis. I am a Professionally Certified Analyst, LOL, kind of feeling Certifiable right now! My brain wants to solve problems and does not want to stop until it is solved. That is what makes me such a great analyst on the job. But, it stinks at 2:00a.m. in the morning.

I know the first few nights are the worst and even my best coping mechanisms would be challenged. That is why I went shooting, the focus helps clear the head at least for a little while. I need to get the guitar out. That is another mind clearing activity for me. Although listening to loud music is not calming, it can interrupt the persistent thoughts in the right circumstances too.

It is strange that I already know a lot of what people are recommending, but in the mental chaos, so much is forgotten. The reminders are very helpful!

I should start doing my Tai Chi again, and a friend is getting me out cycling tomorrow. My cat's fuzzy, trusting, cute face draws me out of the funk too.
    Last edited by Blackhawkgirl; June 13th, 2018 at 04:48 PM.
    Contact your reps about restrictive gun laws->https://act.nraila.org/
    Lady Shooters! PM me if you would like to join a female private firearms sub-group!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    344 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell View Post
    Get your LinkedIn profile updated and get on Indeed.com and Glassdoor.com. Theladders.com is so-so and expensive. I get more responses from my LinkedIn and Indeed.com profiles.

Max
    My LinkedIn account is pretty current, except it does not say I am now seeing a new position. I am not sure when it is appropriate to do the change over. I guess I could do it now.
    Lady Shooters! PM me if you would like to join a female private firearms sub-group!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawkgirl View Post
    I have been in technology for far too long, but some of those skills could be rolled into something different. I am also a firearms instructor, outdoors enthusiast, kayak, bicycle, RV. I have had my own web design business in the past for tourism related businesses, but I don't want to get into that again for a variety of reasons. I am also a musician and can give private instruction in addition to live performances. I am a decent writer.

I was gearing up to start my own business, but financially really needed another 6 or so months on the job to pull it off, so the premature exit has dampened my entrepreneurial fire.
    Describe your technology skill set to me .... can you write code? Write SQL scripts? Ever done any system to system conversion work?
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawkgirl View Post
    My LinkedIn account is pretty current, except it does not say I am now seeing a new position. I am not sure when it is appropriate to do the change over. I guess I could do it now.
    Do it now.
    I never let schooling interfere with my education.
    Mark Twain

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    344 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigmacque View Post
    Describe your technology skill set to me .... can you write code? Write SQL scripts? Ever done any system to system conversion work?
    I don't want to describe too much publicly, since it could identify me if I say too much. Did you have something specific in mind? Just looked at your profile, I will PM you with the rest.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    692 Post(s)
    I am sorry to hear about your stress B,,,, it is easier said than done but I would ask you to keep your head up and push forward as hard as you can,, I would ask you to please avoid meds if you can,,, Life is tough and so are you,,, Life is never one constant steady course and you have learned how to adapt and thrive,,, You have many friends here that are pulling for you,, Keep your head up and keep pushing forward and I am Praying that things will change for you, My Friend...
    Nonsensical Gibberish Talkin Clown,,, Das Me,,,, hehehehe.....

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    344 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer1270 View Post
    I am sorry to hear about your stress B,,,, it is easier said than done but I would ask you to keep your head up and push forward as hard as you can,, I would ask you to please avoid meds if you can,,, Life is tough and so are you,,, Life is never one constant steady course and you have learned how to adapt and thrive,,, You have many friends here that are pulling for you,, Keep your head up and keep pushing forward and I am Praying that things will change for you, My Friend...
    When I said "meds", the only thing I was talking about was for blood pressure, nothing else. The BP has been scary high and I am hoping it is just the stress and not that I have reached a point in my life where I might actually have to start taking BP medicine from here on in, even though I eat right and exercise a lot. I am kind of a purist that way, I rarely even do over the counter.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    344 Post(s)

I am doing better overall today. I got a lot shut down and closed out for the job and it is a relief. It was a long suffering situation and I am glad it is over. Financially I am nervous, naturally, but I have some reserves and I should be okay for a little while. I am giving myself a few more days for my head to slow down, and then I will start to see if I am ready Monday to start to do some serious regrouping, planning, etc.

Thanks all for your kind words and support!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    344 Post(s)

It has been a week. My blood pressure is coming down nicely and I am going cycling this morning. I think keeping up with the cycling is going to help me in so many ways.

As I begin to put the last year of head spinning work related stress out of my mind, I am amazed at how much of my own life has been put on hold trying to figure out how to save something of someone else's, that I was given no authority over saving, even though that is what I was hired to do. So much of my mental bandwidth was used up by something that was not going to work any way.

I am slowly having constructive thoughts come back into my head, that I have not thought about in a while. Things I wanted to do for me, my future, my own business. At the same time, a personal challenge that was also consuming my mental bandwidth seems to finally be letting up, thank goodness!!

I am starting to feel my mind and thoughts are getting to a place where I can start to be the master of my own destiny again. I will be working on forward thinking plans and maybe my own business. I will still look for another job, but I don't want to jump at the first thing that comes up. That has been part of my problem the past few years, being financially forced to take something rather than pick and choose. I will keep my eyes opened for that "right" job, but I am not going to sit around holding my breath either.

Unrepentant chocoholic ShooterGranny's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    361 Post(s)
    That is good news, BHG. Some people do much better running their own business even though getting started can be a long process. One of my two sons is one of those people. He's incredibly smart and hard working but after a few bad experiences with "management" and company politics, he found that he really does best on his own.
    If you think changes need to be made - get out and DO SOMETHING positive!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    I am in the process of taking a series of three classes on LinkedIn offered by a local group. I just took LinkedIn Navigation and even though I've been using it for a while, I learned stuff I didn't know. I'm signed up for LinkedIn Profile and Advanced LinkedIn, which I will take over the next two weeks. If anyone has any questions they would like answered, I will try to make that happen. Also, FYI, LinkedIn has tutorials and there is a "LinkedIn for Dummies" book that my class instructor says is pretty good. There is also a "LinkedIn Profile Optimization" book in that series I think I will get.

What I am also learning is that even though I generally avoid social media, there are a lot of people reporting that there is effective marketing to be done on FaceBook, Instagram and Twitter. I am just digging into that.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe