Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: The American Medical Association makes their stance to takeaway Gun Rights

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    319 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RScottie View Post
    You guys win! You have identified the foundation of our Constitution and system of law. Laws do not prevent crime. Laws merely provide a means to punish those that violate others rights so badly that they must be dealt with by the system. Our system is not set up to be preventative other than to deal with those criminals in such a manner as to make others think twice about doing the same crime.

Asking our system of law to prevent crime by predicting crime or being preemptive is exactly what our founding fathers were fighting against with King George's kangaroo courts. In those days, King George imprisoned anyone that he even thought was a threat.

We must punish actual crimes, you know, murder, rape, robbery, theivery, arson, etc. etc.

We must stop punishing people based on our irrational fears of what they may do.
    You might want to add "again" to end of the bolded otherwise you actually are agreeing with me. The people we have been debating are not "may do" people. They are without a doubt "have done" people. They have been convicted and tried under the rule of law and the result of their action is the death or physical harm of an innocent. They have shown a propensity to violence and their recidivism rate is extremely high so it is not an irrational fear. They should not be among society but they are, and they are legally (as of today) restrained from having a firearm and can be incarcerated if caught with one. Simple as that, let me know if it changes.

By the way, for at least the 6th time, no one has made the claim that this law prevents a violent felon from having a gun. This is like a broke record here.

Our system is not set up to be preventative other than to deal with those criminals in such a manner as to make others think twice about doing the same crime.
    Knowing they can be arrested for having a firearm is an excellent tool for making them think twice about doing the same crime. Thanks for pointing that out.
    “Civil Wars happen when the victimized are armed. Genocide happens when they are not.”
    ― A.E. Samaan

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    319 Post(s)
    Actually this horse is so dead I don't think it can be revived so I will post my last thoughts on this in this thread.

I understand the argument that if this law is allowed to stand the antis will just go one step further and seek to use the same law against people who have never committed a crime. The law was too broad in its inception by including crimes that were physically victimless and I agree that needs to be changed. We must continue to fight those expansions that the antis so desperately want to instill in America, but not by defending the "rights" of the violent felons who have gave their right to be free away. That is a no win position.

I believe that any change to this statute that includes re-arming murderers, violent rapists, pedophiles armed robbers, etc, is doomed to fail. Either provide for life incarceration or death for these cretins or continue their punishment when they are released by depriving them of their rights to stand as an equal in society. Any law that indicates that people such as these cannot be barred from having a firearm will work to the antis favor and against the 2nd Amendment and only increase the danger to the survival of the RTKAB.
    “Civil Wars happen when the victimized are armed. Genocide happens when they are not.”
    ― A.E. Samaan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    289 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeanlouise View Post
    Scottie, that's one of the shortest, best replies on any gun grabber argument I've read. Can I steal that to use sometime on the many Libs I encounter on FB? Even they could understand that.
    Feel free!
    “Whoever would overthrow the liberty of a nation must begin by subduing the freeness of speech.” ~ Benjamin Franklin

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    226 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BMcPhe44 View Post
    Actually this horse is so dead I don't think it can be revived so I will post my last thoughts on this in this thread.

I understand the argument that if this law is allowed to stand the antis will just go one step further and seek to use the same law against people who have never committed a crime. The law was too broad in its inception by including crimes that were physically victimless and I agree that needs to be changed. We must continue to fight those expansions that the antis so desperately want to instill in America, but not by defending the "rights" of the violent felons who have gave their right to be free away. That is a no win position.

I believe that any change to this statute that includes re-arming murderers, violent rapists, pedophiles armed robbers, etc, is doomed to fail. Either provide for life incarceration or death for these cretins or continue their punishment when they are released by depriving them of their rights to stand as an equal in society. Any law that indicates that people such as these cannot be barred from having a firearm will work to the antis favor and against the 2nd Amendment and only increase the danger to the survival of the RTKAB.
    Yep. Laws that violate the 2A and the RTKABA that only have existed since the 60s, being repealed will somehow endanger a RIGHT that predated that stupid law for oh, at min a couple of thousand yrs.

Makes perfect sense.
    We save the 2A by violating the hell out of it 5o suit those who either are willing to to trade liberty for a false sense of safety, or who just want to disarm everybody.

Can't believe the founders didn't just demand nobody could be armed to ensure everyone could be armed.

Jeez.
    Odd how most folks who say they support the Constitution as written ,,,,,,,,,,,,really don't.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ctr View Post
    Yes. The death penalty. It works.
    Well, it prevents repeat offenders...
    I never let schooling interfere with my education.
    Mark Twain

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    226 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell View Post
    Well, it prevents repeat offenders...

And occasionally eliminates folks who never offended in the first place.
    Odd how most folks who say they support the Constitution as written ,,,,,,,,,,,,really don't.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    248 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1958 View Post
    And occasionally eliminates folks who never offended in the first place.

Often said but many outside the bleeding hearts remain unconvinced.
    I find supremely ironic that God in his wisdom and grace has given man freedom of choice bounded by 10 simple rules. Man in his finite wisdom has created millions of rules to limit freedom of choice and personal responsibility of man.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    858 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ctr View Post
    Often said but many outside the bleeding hearts remain unconvinced.
    Unconvinced that it happens, or unconvinced that they care?