Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: M-16: A Bureaucratic Horror Story

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1438 Post(s)
    My only experience with an "M-16" was in AF qualification. It always worked fine with 5.56 ammo. The .22LR adapters not so much. One hundred rounds of anything during a leisurely training session is hardly worthy of proving reliability.
    Official Forum Curmudgeon Nonsense, I have not yet begun to defile myself.
    Tact: The skill of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buku Ringo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A guy I know who was in-country in Vietnam said the first thing he did was put down his M-16 and picked up an AK.
    This happened a lot.

sent from phone, typos possible
    "Dedicated to those Rangers who laid down their lives that lesser men could be free to cry 'PEACE', when there was none."

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    457 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oldranger53 View Post
    This happened a lot.

Not when I was there. The only ones I saw get to do that was Spec Op's. We got weapons all the time and get to play with them for a little while. But not for long. They took the Weedmonkey weapons all the time.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    33 Post(s)
    I was issued and carried a M16a1, never had an issue with it. I kept it well lubed (LSA) and I was fastidious when it came to my magazines.

"It's easier to avoid conflict than it is to survive it!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    260 Post(s)
    I was in Viet Nam from Saigon to Hanoi off and on between 1965 and 1973. I never saw any troops from any military service from any allied country carrying an AK-47. We got to shoot some after they were cleared by EOD, but not keep them.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    Yes, Spec Ops.
    I should have specified. Sorry.
    It was not allowed in the regular units, at least not to my knowledge.

Some units got away with a great deal of ”unconventional" behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by SatCong View Post
    Not when I was there. The only ones I saw get to do that was Spec Op's. We got weapons all the time and get to play with them for a little while. But not for long. They took the Weedmonkey weapons all the time.
    "Dedicated to those Rangers who laid down their lives that lesser men could be free to cry 'PEACE', when there was none."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    154 Post(s)
    Somebody help me out here...I am scratching the hair off my head. I am not a vet but, I hear all the time that the advantages of the M-16 are that it is lighter, you can carry more ammo, etc.

But, I am a WW II buff and have researched and written about it. That justification for the M-16 makes no sense to me when you consider that there were no battles, other than TET, that equate to

the major battles of WW II, and the jungles of Viet Nam are certainly no worse or different than the Pacific Island jungles. These WW II battles were fought with M-1's and BAR's, for the most part, and

GI's won the war using those heavier, lower capacity rifles. We're talking Normandy, the Bulge, Okinawa, Iwo Jima, Guadalcanal (some Marines still had 1903's). At Normandy, Gi's were digging M-1's

out of the sand and surf, field stripping and cleaning them behind sand dunes, and returning them to battle. Can you even do that with an M-16? I am having cognitive dissonance here.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1438 Post(s)
    Sometimes haters just have to hate. I'd hardly place the M-16 at the top of the list of worst military firearms our troops have been blessed with. The article seems to imply the major issues were the ammo and not the weapon itself. Every weapon has its issues to deal with.

I am less than impressed with the cartridge caliber. There have been suitable replacements developed, but the army balks at replacing the mountains of ammo already stocked. However, there is no one "fits all situations" caliber as of yet.
    Official Forum Curmudgeon Nonsense, I have not yet begun to defile myself.
    Tact: The skill of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.