Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Emergency Radio Communications

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    137 Post(s)
    The UV-5R arrived and I programmed it for my work location. They are using Motorola radios with a transmitting CTCS of 63.9 so after a couple of tries I was able to find this frequency to open the squelch on the company radios.

For whatever reason, the Baofeng dropped this CTCS frequency late in the day yesterday and I couldn't communicate with anyone. After checking to see that the tone code hadn't changed (it hadn't) I reconfirmed the frequency and it worked once again.

I also programmed the DCS code for the local PD in case there is ever a life threatening emergency.

I'm going to change to a better antenna as soon as my SMA adapters arrive. I prefer BNC jacks and plugs, but this radio uses a reverse SMA which worse than a conventional SMA jack.

I don't know what all the programming fuss is about. These transceivers are extremely intuitive once the operational flow is known. After an instructional video on YouTube for five minutes I knew the radio backwards and forwards.

I do have an authentic programming cable with the correct USB drivers arriving in a day or two so I can program channel names. You can't do those through the keypad on this radio. It will also allow a more visual indication of what is programmed into the radio at a single glance rather than going through the lengthy menu.

It ain't a Kenwood, but it ain't bad for $25 bucks.
    "I need your clothes, your boots und your motocycle..." Don't think it won't happen, it's practically here.
    I like all kinds of foreign guns,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)

It just keeps getting better. (Sarcasm off)

It is sad to think that we live in a society which is so technologically advanced
    that we are able to control the actions of a robot on the surface of the planet Mars, but a
    law enforcement officer, firefighter and a paramedic all involved in the same emergency
    are often unable to communicate directly with one another.
    https://www.fdle.state.fl.us/cms/FCJ...Text/Dees.aspx

LE agencies post 9-1-1 were sold a bill of goods.
    A system that does NOT work well, subject to hacking, poor performance, added confusion, overly complex.

Why is this important?

The public believes LE/first responders can handle emergencies. This is a grave position to buy into.

The 800 Mhz interoperability system has begun to fail miserably; to the point of causing danger to the responders and the public.

Basic research by anyone will show multiple cities are suffering comms break down, interruption of service and/or periods of complete blackouts.

Further research will reveal many LE agencies are returning to a point to point comm system as backup which is slowly becoming their primary.

These 800Mhz Interoperability systems have not only been a monster waste of tax dollars, they are now proving to be dangerous.

I tried to warn public officials in my area that this *new* system would be problematic at best, but alas, the DHS already had skin in the game...after all, if it cost the city nothing, why not have some new toys?

To those who wish to know what is happening in their area, continue to monitor "other" known comm sources.
    "A covenant not to defend myself from force, by force, is always void"...Thomas Hobbes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    For those with ham radio licenses, you should consider joining ARES. it will get you plugged into the local emergency management communications and provide you with a fair bit of free training regarding communicating during an emergency or severe weather event. If your willing to volunteer a little time you will be part of the communication backup net.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Noway2 View Post
    For those with ham radio licenses, you should consider joining ARES. it will get you plugged into the local emergency management communications and provide you with a fair bit of free training regarding communicating during an emergency or severe weather event. If your willing to volunteer a little time you will be part of the communication backup net.
    Yep...SKYWARN too.
    "A covenant not to defend myself from force, by force, is always void"...Thomas Hobbes

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    137 Post(s)
    SKYWARN is active in my area and uses two local frequencies, one simplex and the other uses a repeater.

The USB programming cable for the Baofeng UV-5R showed up yesterday. That worked out well with the CHIRP software. I can see at a glance what is programmed into the radio in a spreadsheet form and use it to enter names for frequencies and make other changes before loading it up to the radio.

I use the free software and a proprietary cable from Alinco for the DJ-X11 receiver too. The DJ-X11 is a very nice receiver with all the bells and whistles that won't eat a hole in your pocket like the AR8200. In fact, the DJ-X11 has more features and better features than the AR8200. The AR8200 receiver does have a few extras though in the way of a much larger and brighter display, higher audio output, and a temperature stabilized oscillator.

I find it hard to believe though, that AOR has neglected to include a dual-watch feature on this rig. Nearly every high-end receiver made today has this capability. That is the only feature that kept me from buying this radio again.
    "I need your clothes, your boots und your motocycle..." Don't think it won't happen, it's practically here.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    137 Post(s)
    After using the UV-5R in a heavy work environment I can say with confidence this is a tough little radio. It regularly gets banged around while hanging from my pocket edge or belt, buttons get accidentally pressed hard (w/keylock on) with no damage, and the display is inset into the case enough to protect it while working.

If the electronic and logic components hold up, this will turn out to be an extremely good value for a dual-band radio.

As a bonus, it will receive all of the NWS frequencies as well as public service in the VHF and UHF low band. I can listen to the local PD while working and even FM radio if I chose and will interrupt during communications on the primary channel.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I got a pair of Baofeng UV-5r couple days ago...it was on great sale and I couldnít pass...
    glad to see positive reviews about them...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mountainraider View Post
    I got a pair of Baofeng UV-5r couple days ago...it was on great sale and I couldn’t pass...
    glad to see positive reviews about them...

They may not be considered top of the line, but when one factors in price; they are a marvel and a bargain.

I've been looking at their 7 watt version but haven't bought one yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Emergency Radio Communications

Agree! So far are doing well!
    I also have a pair of pmr for shorter distances
    This year a new law passed and you no longer require to have a license to operate CB radios.
    I am planning to get one for the car and one for the house as base station.
    A VHF is very pricey here....and I donít think I could get one anytime soon....