Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Military veterans and currently serving introduce yourself here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Spent three days at Bliss with a Buff and Tanker. That was enough for me.
    Are you saying it only took three days to get enough of Buff and Tanker??????? I was stationed there back in the day when it was safe (?) to venture into Juarez.
    U.S. Army (Ret) 1953-1977 ‘‘The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able may have a gun.’’
    — Patrick Henry

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)
    Commissioned in the USAF in 1990 and still trying to figure out what to do when I grow up and hang the uniform up for good.

Hasn't always been fun, but it's been a rewarding life.

It's been hard on the family, though. After averaging 18 months per assignment for nearly 3 decades my family is excited any summer that we're not in PCS mode. For some reason traveling between assignments isn't considered a family vacation by my herd, go figure.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

Moderator of the Universe jeanlouise's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    503 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tree Potato View Post
    Commissioned in the USAF in 1990 and still trying to figure out what to do when I grow up
    Now, why would you want to do go and do that?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    I had a real love-hate relationship with the military. I joined the Navy in '79 as an airdale. I spent two years riding the USS Midway from '81-'83, then the last two years of my six years active duty were out at Pt. Mugu, CA, when Ronald Reagan was president. He used to fly in there, then get on Marine 1 to fly to his ranch in Santa Barbara. Always used to make me shake my head when the Secret Service would come around and tell us all to get inside our work spaces and close the blinds on the windows when he was coming or going. I mean, this was a base where the Navy did ballistic missile testing at, among other things. Most everyone on the base had at least a secret clearance or above but we were still treated like enemies of the state almost. They even had the FBI snipers on the roof of the hanger they used when they parked Air Force 1. Stuff like that drove me crazy back then.

After that, I joined the MS Army National Guard as a tanker in an Armored Cav unit, back when they still had M-60 tanks. A short while after being there, the itch got too much and I went back on active duty as an infantryman. Never could figure out why, but the Army made me go back all the way through boot camp at the Benning School for Wayward Boys (aka Ft. Benning). After that, I served with the old 198th Inf Bde at Ft. Benning and with the 8th ID, in Mainz, Germany until I finished my active service at the end of Desert Storm.

Later, after an eight year hiatus, I did a one year stint with an MP unit in the TN Army NG (just wasn't for me). I got out of that unit in 2000 and wasn't going to get near the military ever again. I guess I had gotten the bug by then, though. I joined an infantry unit, C Co. 2/153 Inf, in the AR Army NG in 2004 and finally retired as a SSG in 2014. Best unit I ever served with.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    125 Post(s)
    This was after commissioning in the Civil Air Patrol after eight years in the regular Air Force. c.1996

"I need your clothes, your boots und your motocycle..." Don't think it won't happen, it's practically here.
    I like all kinds of foreign guns,

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    111 Post(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I had served for 18 months at Hellenic Marines,doing my national duty and after that I re-enlisted to Army Raiders for another 6 and a half years.I had participated to peacekeeping mission in Kosovo and had worked for six months with US Army’s team...The guys were from Missouri...It was great time!
    In 2009 I discharged honorably and here am I now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk