Unrepentant chocoholic ShooterGranny's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    106 Post(s)

Active shooter response class in our area today

One of the guys in our shooting group (name: Gene) went to a class today put on by the Sheriff's department which covered what to do in an active shooter situation. This was one of a series of classes re safety, scams, self defense, etc. that are specifically geared to seniors.

He called to tell me I didn't miss a damned thing (his exact words) - but then went on to give me outline details. The first part covered the sitting duck approach like Columbine - hide, shelter in place, etc.. I don't know if there were comments or discussion for that part.

Then there was a break and the second part covered WHAT TO DO. The first thing was get out of there as fast and safely as you can. Next were ways to have good situational awareness, and also alternatives of things you can or perhaps should do IF you can't get out of there immediately.

One of those things the teacher from the Sheriff's department listed was: IF YOU HAVE A GUN -- USE IT IF YOU CAN. AND IF YOU DO -- When LEO gets there do exactly and only what they tell you....not one more or one less movement. The teacher explained that if you do not immediately and exactly follow LEO instructions you will get shot!

It was a several hour class so I'm sure there was more discussion on that part.

This is not New York or California. This is Tennessee. You know, where the homeowner caught and held the 2 escaped criminals at gunpoint the other day? That state.

Gene and I then had our own discussion about training, practice and the dangers of people who carry and never shoot their guns perhaps trying to be heroes in above situation when they have not learned to "be aware of your target and what's beyond it!"

Anyway, thought I'd share that little bit of second hand information about our local active shooter awareness class.
    If you think changes need to be made - get out and DO SOMETHING positive!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)
    You know, I love hearing stories about LEOs who believe in our 2nd amendment rights, and they encourage us to carry and use our firearms if necessary.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    It appears that the Sheriff expressed all common actions expressed in many of active shooter training's. Shelter in place or escape if safely possible. I'm not going to suggest or support , either for or against, an armed individual take the action of searching for and engaging an active shooter. That is a personal decision an individual has to make. Under that situation you put yourself at risk not only by being shot by the shooter, but law enforcement. Your Sheriff is correct when he says to do exactly what the LEO says and immediately. It's a high stress situation and a LEO encountering an individual with a weapon, in civilian clothes, he's not going to hesitate, if he believes you are the threat. You don't hear much of the situations that they used to call Blue on Blue shootings, but that was what was happening with LEOs in plain clothes acting in similar situations. I'm not saying don't take action if you are threatened, just pointing out a perspective that needs to be considered and understood Kudos to your Sheriff. Good luck Be Safe
    “Work for a cause, not for applause. Live life to express, not to impress. Don’t strive to make your presence noticed just make your absence felt.”

In the wind
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)
    I'm glad to see classes like this becoming available. Ten years ago such a class was unheard of, at least to me.

Sure, there'll be some classes that are better than others, but any class on the topic is a step in the right direction IMO.

Even if a class doesn't teach something exactly like we think it should be taught, such a class will raise the awareness of those involved.

I hope classes like this become mainstream.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    There was a class in texas not too long ago for church pastors and church leadership...anyone have anything or info on such a thing?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)
    I will always support the idea of escaping danger when possible but if the fight is going to come, I am not going to sit around waiting for the badguy to find me. I will take the fight to them in a manner that I deem strategically beneficial to my goals. Does that mean that I may be another bogie on the radar of responders who have no idea who or what I am? ...sure. I am not a person who has many reservations about making a decision and owning it. I have mixed feeling about the primary motivation behind such classes and I tend to do my own thing regardless. The bottom line is that [right or wrong] I will act in my own best interest, not what others may consider convenient to what they are trying to do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    61 Post(s)
    I've taken two "How to Respond to Active Shooter Classes" and I found that I would have saved a lot of money had I known about the DHS booklet. Both classes were less informative then the DHS booklet.

https://www.dhs.gov/publication/acti...how-to-respond.
    U.S. Army (Ret) 1953-1977 ‘‘The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able may have a gun.’’
    — Patrick Henry