Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    140 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    Thanks for asking, Recon.

I have a short update: Cuz got a pistol, hubby didn't like it, but changed his mind after hearing of someone at the gun shop who also had a violent family member--usually it's the other way around, where a hubby gets a pistol and wife doesn't like it.

They took a class, CCW probably, got their certificates, then ran out of money for the permits. I had offered to pay for their classes, but I guess they were too proud to take it. But now they have no permit, and don't want to break the law and carry in public. So I've gently offered to pay for their permits. Now I'm waiting to hear from them on that offer.

As far as psycho man-child who tried to kill them, he went to some sort of job Corp training/boarding school/juvenile retention place, out of town. He did return for Thanksgiving, but cuz hasn't seen him and doesn't know if he went back or not. So there's some distance between them.

Hopefully psycho kid will grow up, but my prediction is he'll attack the wrong person someday, and they'll terminate his existence.

Which would be better than psycho terminating someone else's existence.

And I've earned the right to use the term "psycho." Unfortunately.

So thas it... we waits, and we gets cuz armed and ready.

And in the meantime, we lives our lives.
    Maybe you could offer the payment for the permits (and maybe some extra $$ for range time and ammo, depending on your finances) as a Christmas gift. That way, it wouldn't be charity and they would accept it. Just a thought. You know your family.
    TANSTAAFL - "Moon is a Harsh Mistress"
    Gun control does not control criminals or terrorists, but it does make their victims easier to kill.

In the wind
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    57 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GRCarry View Post
    Maybe you could offer the payment for the permits (and maybe some extra $$ for range time and ammo, depending on your finances) as a Christmas gift. That way, it wouldn't be charity and they would accept it. Just a thought. You know your family.
    Good idea, GRCarry... so good, in fact, that's what I did.

I offered it as a Christmas present, and to counter her expected, "We didn't get you anything," I reminded her of an unexpected gift she gave us a few years ago. After many years of limited contact between that side of the family, we reconnected, and she handed me a large stack of pictures she had reproduced for me. I didn't know whether to pay her for them or accept them graciously as a gift.

I accepted them as a gift, later learned of their dire finances, and kicked myself for not paying for them.

Anyway, I emailed her last night with the offer, and she emailed me this morning accepting.

So the check's in the mail!

She says it'll take about a month for the entire process, so don't expect a soon update. But she's as honest as the day is long, so I believe it'll happen at some point!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)
    Fantastic!
    When life decides to call a tune, you better be ready to dance...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    Good idea, GRCarry... so good, in fact, that's what I did.

I offered it as a Christmas present, and to counter her expected, "We didn't get you anything," I reminded her of an unexpected gift she gave us a few years ago. After many years of limited contact between that side of the family, we reconnected, and she handed me a large stack of pictures she had reproduced for me. I didn't know whether to pay her for them or accept them graciously as a gift.

I accepted them as a gift, later learned of their dire finances, and kicked myself for not paying for them.

Anyway, I emailed her last night with the offer, and she emailed me this morning accepting.

So the check's in the mail!

She says it'll take about a month for the entire process, so don't expect a soon update. But she's as honest as the day is long, so I believe it'll happen at some point!
    In Oklahoma, my experience with first time CCW license issue, the online site said 6 to 8 weeks from the time you submit the packet (passport photo, fingerprint card, application, and moneyorder) to when the license arrives. I think mine took 7 weeks? Sequence is local sheriff checks, then off to OSBI for state level checks, then license is printed and mailed.