Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Survived Open Carry

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    33 Post(s)
    Florida doesn't allow open carry ........... except to LE, Licensed Security, on your residential property, place of business and while to and from hunting, fishing, camping and target shooting.

I've open carried in each and every one of those scenarios, the ONLY time some one tried to disarm me was during a hands on no holds barred arrest as a LEO.

I could care less what anyone's choice is, all I request is that you carry responsibly.

"It's easier to avoid conflict than it is to survive it!"

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    325 Post(s)
    Shep-herd. Shortened form of 'sheep herd'. Of course, anyone with a German Shepherd Dog, or other herding dog would know this.
    "I need your clothes, your boots und your motocycle..." Don't think it won't happen, it's practically here.
    I like all kinds of foreign guns,

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    183 Post(s)
    Responses below:

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1958 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Tactical advantage again. I get so sick of hearing that. That opinion is irrelevant. I wasn't suggesting that you do it. As I said, that is my personal option.

Is that the tactical advantage of appearing as helpless as every unarmed person so as to have an equal opportunity to be attacked?

Or the advantage of slower and more difficult access?

I do both more oc than cc.

Fact is there is no way to know if OC deters attack or crime most of the time. Cant count what never happened.

But. CC is for absolutly positive not a deterrent. If, hypothetically, I were the most dangerous kind of bad guy, the one who is not going to be deterred, and I saw an open carrier, I would get in position to shoot him first. I don't want to be that target. But that is my choice and I have a right to make that choice. Not suggesting anyone else make that choice.

And simply does make access and draw speed slower. I'm no Wesley Hardin. My drawing to first shot cc is 1.5 sec average. From OC. A shade under a second. Research shows that most non-LEO gunfights do not start in "reaction time." I subscribe to that. Again, my choice. http://thinkinggunfighter.blogspot.c...-findings.html

It's as tiring for folks who have carried both ways for decades to hear "tactical advantage " as it is for you to hear "sheepdog". Apples and oranges. The first is a real world tactical decision, whether it is one you choose or not. The second is an attitude based on a fiction created by an author.

Also take it from an old farm boy. Herd dogs don't have in their instinct to attack the herd.
    They have plenty of opportunity to attack just born calves etc when sent half a mile away to bring in cattle, but they don't. From Science Daily re: herding dogs. "All herding behavior is modified predatory behavior." BTW, this is repeated and supported elsewhere and there are more scholarly articles on this also, but this reference is more accessible. https://www.sciencedaily.com/terms/herding_dog.htm

Swatted I'll grant does occasionally occur in more sheepish states. I am in VA which is not sheepish at all ("stand your ground," open carry allowed, easy CC permit process, high level of gun ownership, etc.) and it has happened here.
    Last edited by jmf552; March 25th, 2018 at 01:56 AM.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    183 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SatCong View Post
    It's a bad analogy designed to make some people feel tough. I'm 72, why on earth do you think I want to feel tough at this age. As I have said before, I do both CC & OC, but I also use my brain.
    My comment wasn't even remotely directed at you. Sorry if you thought it was. And it wasn't directed at people who OC. It was directed at the "sheepdog analogy," which unless you are the author who came up with it, you should not be defensive about.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    353 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    Responses below:
    Won't bother with the rest. It was intended to point out your tactical advantage jargon is as cliche as sheepdog. And more unfounded in actual fact.

Like I said I do both. Sometimes both at once lol. Don't care what others do.

But. I'll put my 20 yrs or so training and using stock dogs up against some eggheads idea of what a stock dog thinks.

I've found freezing late season new born calves with the dog laying with it a mile deep into our land.
    All they had to do was eat and leave. Instead of stay all night and protect.
    Odd how most folks who say they support the Constitution as written ,,,,,,,,,,,,really don't.