Asst. Administrator DogWalksWithMe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    487 Post(s)
    From the study in the OP, 9mm was not tested:

Test ammunition was the Remington .40 S&W 180gr JHP (the California Highway Patrol issue load at the time) and the Winchester Ranger .45 ACP 230gr JHP (the law-enforcement version of the discontinued Black Talon).These loads had been previously chronographed at 6 feet and had shown relatively small velocity dispersions; the average velocities were 980 and 855 ft/sec, respectively.
    The key takeaway in the conclusion (my bold):

This deflection angle is not consistent in magnitude or orientation relative to incidence geometry; it seems to be essentially random. The expected deflection is small (less than 2 inches for a target located anywhere in a typical automobile), and no compensation is possible because the deflection angle is unpredictable. The bullet deflection by windshield glass impact should be ignored in tactical situations involving an officer firing into an automobile. This includes not having mental reservations or concerns about this deflection; don't worry about it, it is not important.
    That was a good read. I also noted the test was for windshield glass, not tempered glass
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    278 Post(s)
    There was an article I read around fifteen years ago that tested common semi-auto handgun ammo through a windshield. The only two that went through with little deflection and adequate remaining energy were the .357 Sig and the 10mm
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    156 Post(s)
    These vehicle things have been happening in crowded areas and I don't believe blasting away at a moving vehicle in a crowd no matter what, is a good idea. Chances are, if someone did that they'd have a very high risk of contributing to more injured or dead at the scene and would be SOL in trying to defend that action, especially if they didn't stop the bad guy. I'd opt for getting safely out of the way.