Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    502 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeanlouise View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think when people refer to "good" neighborhoods they are talking about neighborhoods generally devoid of drive-by shootings, drug houses, muggings on the street, gang activity etc.

It can happen anywhere though, as RightsEroding said, people don't generally break into the hood to score the good stuff (unless you're talking about drugs).
    I live in a good area where, statistically, crime is lower than some other parts of the city I live in. However, I tell people that it's safe until it isn't. And you never know when it won't be.

Years ago, I lived in a decaying part of KC, MO where the ghetto was moving. Just across the street, two houses away, it was a "nicer" neighborhood. If my house would have been 3 houses that way, it would have been worth 40% more. However, I was in school and around at varying times, and two houses down, a retired army guy lived who watched the neighborhood. The first time I showed up to move in, he was there while I was still getting a couple of things out of the car and asking me what I was doing there. (He had a garden rake in his hands.) Between the two of us, no abandoned cars were there more than 24 hours, unsavory characters were put on notice that at least two males were outside watching, etc. We had NO crimes in our area for 5 years. Across the street, in the nicer neighborhood, criminals figured that they had easy and nicer pickings. They had regular car thefts and break ins.

I know that though I live in a "nice" neighborhood, it only takes one person who figures that I have something worthwhile and that the pickings are easy to make my neighborhood a dangerous one for that house.
    TANSTAAFL - "Moon is a Harsh Mistress"
    OldVet, 30 March 2018: "But being the agreeable sort, I agree."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    137 Post(s)
    Safe places are "understood" to be areas of low probability for bad things to happen ... not areas totally excluding crime.

The cool thing about CCing Vs non-carrying is having a chance to survive low and high crime rate areas. But .... Security is indeed an illusion.
    “You had me at Death Ray.”

In the wind
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    58 Post(s)

A few minor updates:

...the high school teacher was jogging on the Hamburg Trail near the school around 3 p.m. Wednesday when encountered Curtis, who he doesn't know.
    Joshua Curtis has been charged with shooting the teacher. In his tent, he
    had a stash of ammunition. Police believe he could have been living in the wooded area for two months.
    the family has had a falling out with Curtis and does not speak with him often.
    A witness on the trail said he saw a person who matched Curtis' description talking into an item believed to be a radio. When Curtis was taken into custody, he was reportedly in possession of a handheld device similar to the one the witness described, however police have not been able to determine if he was talking to anyone on the other end or if the radio even functions properly.

There was a second tent found in the area, but prosecutors said the items in the tent all belong to Curtis.
    Police are continuing to search the area of the shooting for the gun used in the attack.
    “We never would have thought it would ever happen,” said Anthony Giacalone, a senior at the school. “Those trails are safe. I’ve ran them for four years now, nothing like this has ever occurred so it was shocking to me.”
    http://www.kmov.com/story/36955798/f...earby-shooting

My money's on mental illness, as JL mentioned.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Last Tuesday a teacher was jogging on a trail near here, next to a high school which is out of town near a wildlife area. Most of the trail is secluded and surrounded by forest. The teacher passed an individual, then was shot in the back. The teacher took off running, and the shooter shot 2 more times but missed.

The teacher ran to a nearby highway and flagged down a lady, who stopped, picked him up, drove him to the school, and also called the police.

Two days later police spotted, from the air, a tent near the trail. Soon afterwards they apprehended a man who had been living in the tent, supposedly for a couple months.

The victim will survive. No details yet of caliber, etc., except that the victim was shot in the upper back.

This happened in a "nice" area which rarely, if ever (until now), has seen crime like this.

This is the trail I was walking/running on, up until about 2 weeks ago when we had the time change, which left it too dark after work to get on the trail. I have been on this trail in that specific area many times in October and November. Saw a few others on the trail, mostly bicyclists, but I don't recall seeing the shooter.

Even some gun owners think I'm crazy for carrying everywhere legal...including when I'm on the trails.

No place is immune to danger. Even "nice" areas, where "nothing like this has ever happened before."

http://fox2now.com/2017/11/29/lockdo...g-near-campus/

http://fox2now.com/2017/12/01/new-de...owell-teacher/

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/11/30...ri-school.html
    No place is 100% safe. In my area, i heard of a robber who attacked several Wal Mart employees and stol their stuff. There's been other reports of attacks as well.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    330 Post(s)
    Back from the dead...
    I find supremely ironic that God in his wisdom and grace has given man freedom of choice bounded by 10 simple rules. Man in his finite wisdom has created millions of rules to limit freedom of choice and personal responsibility of man.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    538 Post(s)
    It sounds more like SA would have been a better companion that day than a firearm since he passed the guy and was shot in the back.