Laugh Out Loud Laugh Out Loud:  0

Thread: Ultrasonic cleaner & semi-auto's?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)

Question Ultrasonic cleaner & semi-auto's?

Hey guys. I currently use ballistol and hoppes #9 bore cleaner to clean my guns. I have a walther ccp (which has a fixed barrel), a s&w m&p shield 9mm (version 1) and an m&p 2.0 9mm 4.25". I hate spraying down the parts and then having the slick ballistol "oil" where i don't want it necessarily. What brand/size and solvent is recommended to clean one handgun at a time? Will a harbor freight unit work fine? How does it do on dirty barrels & components and how long does it take on average for a simple unit? I also want to get a needle oiler if i get an ultra sonic cleaner so that the oil goes where i want it instead of one big drop in a big area lol. I hate having oil in places it shouldn't be to grab lint and whatnot. Your help is much appreciated! The "cheaper" the better for me as i don't clean them often, but having them cleaned inside and out would be awesome. Also, does the little felt pellet in the trigger return spring on the M&P's get ruined in ultra sonic cleaning? I have an apex duty/carry kit and aluminum trigger in both of them if that makes a difference in the pellet. Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    153 Post(s)
    I clean mine after every shoot so not much of an issue for me but here is an article that compares the Hornady and the Harbor Freight cleaners that you might find interesting. https://www.pewpewtactical.com/horna...eaners-review/

I hope it helps with your decision making.

Unrepentant chocoholic ShooterGranny's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    422 Post(s)
    It doesn't take all that long to clean a gun. I would never use spray cleaner. That is the best way to gunk up everything, and especially to get gunk inside the firing pin. I most dry clean mine with patches and sometimes q-tips for tight places, then use bore cleaner, and then for the whole rest of the gun a very few drops of CLP good quality gun oil on a clean patch. For me, cleaning my guns is relaxing and rewarding.

Sorry I know nothing at all about ultrasonic cleaners. I just do it by hand. And I have a couple .22's with fixed barrels. They are actually the easiest to clean. The most difficult are the little P238's because they are so little, and because they are so little they seem to get dirtier, but even those are not a major problem.
    If you think changes need to be made - get out and DO SOMETHING positive!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    233 Post(s)
    I've never used one, but I do have a story from a state trooper and department firearms instructor. He told me they were having a problem with the tritium tubes falling out of their issue handguns. These guns were detail stripped once a year by the department armorer, in addition to routine service by the officers. The armorer was using an ultrasonic cleaner, which was loosening the adhesive that held the tubes in the sights. When they stopped using the ultrasonic cleaner the tubes stopped falling out.

Take it for whatever it may be worth.

John W in SC

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    409 Post(s)
    I have a RCBS, never a problem, but I follow the instructions to the letter and use their cleaning solution. Note: I use the ultrasonic cleaner mostly on newly purchased C&R guns and gun parts.
    U.S. Army (Ret) 1953-1977 ‘‘The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able may have a gun.’’
    — Patrick Henry

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    57 Post(s)
    Harbor Freight is a "gun free zone".
    I haven't been in one, nor have they gotten any of my money since:
    http://concealednation.org/2015/06/w...t-in-your-car/

Northern Tool is now my choice for inexpensive tools and such.
    "The secret of freedom lies in educating people, whereas the secret of
    tyranny is in keeping them ignorant." - Maximilien Robespierre

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    409 Post(s)
    Needed a 3 jaw bearing puller, made the mistake and bought it at Harbor Freight. Broke it on first use pulling a harmonic dampener. Pay a little more and buy American made.
    U.S. Army (Ret) 1953-1977 ‘‘The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able may have a gun.’’
    — Patrick Henry

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1600 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slice11 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Harbor Freight is a "gun free zone".
    I haven't been in one, nor have they gotten any of my money since:
    http://concealednation.org/2015/06/w...t-in-your-car/

Northern Tool is now my choice for inexpensive tools and such.
    Did HF have a no-gun sign on the door? Their "response" said guns "should" be left in vehicles, not "shall" and nothing mentioning prohibited.

The HF stores near me (FL) do not have no-gun signage, which has no force of law here regardless.

As for HF quality, one has to pick and choose. Some of the stuff I've bought there is fine for its purpose, some not so much.

Ultrasonic cleaners have their uses, such as very dirty and grimy items needing overhaul, but aren't necessary for ordinary and regular gun cleanings. If your gun needs ultrasonic cleaning you probably aren't taking good care of them to start with.

I used ultrasonic cleaners to overhaul scuba equipment, much of which is chrome plated. I found that neglected and/or poor quality gear often would have the chrome flake off during cleaning.
    Last edited by OldVet; January 9th, 2018 at 01:08 PM.
    Official Forum Curmudgeon Nonsense, I have not yet begun to defile myself.
    Tact: The skill of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    57 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Did HF have a no-gun sign on the door? Their "response" said guns "should" be left in vehicles, not "shall" and nothing mentioning prohibited.
    I haven't been back to look at the door, the official corporate attitude was enough for me.
    "The secret of freedom lies in educating people, whereas the secret of
    tyranny is in keeping them ignorant." - Maximilien Robespierre

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post

The HF stores near me (FL) do not have no-gun signage, which has no force of law here regardless.

<snip>
    My concern with "no guns" signs, or even corporate policies, isn't whether they have the force of law. My concern is that they tell criminals the customers are easy targets, which attracts criminals to that location and encourages them to come after those of us who shop there.

Why would I want to give my money to a business that attracts criminals and identifies me as an easy target, whether I am or not?

John W in SC

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1600 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John W in SC View Post
    My concern with "no guns" signs, or even corporate policies, isn't whether they have the force of law. My concern is that they tell criminals the customers are easy targets, which attracts criminals to that location and encourages them to come after those of us who shop there.

Why would I want to give my money to a business that attracts criminals and identifies me as an easy target, whether I am or not?

John W in SC
    I don't see any evidence to support that. Starbucks has "asked" (and I reiterate 'asked' as it did not ban firearms) customers to not carry in its stores, yet I see no surge of robberies at Starbucks. Same for Buffalo Wild Wings, Harbor Freight, or any of the other business that have expressed a no-gun policy. In fact, the only people who seem to be attracted to that fact are the pro-gun folks. Not once have I ever heard, "I'm going to [Fill in the blank] because they don't allow guns and I'll be perfectly safe there."

IMO, it is making a mountain out of a molehill. If one doesn't wish to do business with an anti-gun policy--then don't go there, but base it on that fact. But don't be running to the internet with unsubstantiated statements that it automatically makes one a target of opportunity simply because of one's presence there. That smacks of the antis' "There will be blood in the streets" arguments.

Any business is subject to robbery, regardless of its firearms policy. One store being robbed in a franchise of 100s does not an easy target make.

Now back to a ultrasonic thread near you.
    Official Forum Curmudgeon Nonsense, I have not yet begun to defile myself.
    Tact: The skill of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    409 Post(s)
    If a business has a "No Guns" sign at the entrance I normally obey their wishes and spend my money somewhere else.
    — Patrick Henry

Asst. Administrator DogWalksWithMe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    487 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuck View Post
    If a business has a "No Guns" sign at the entrance I normally obey their wishes and spend my money somewhere else.
    My HF has no sign.

Getting back to ultrasonic cleaners (everyone, please), I am tempted. But I'm usually done with cleaning in less time than it would take me to set up, warm up, and clean up the cleaner.

I looked in the grip of my SP2022 when I changed the back strap. Lots of parts and linkage in there, with very specific lubes in specific places. Until that gets to the point where I need to do something with it, I would rather not use ultrasonics to clean it out. It just is not part of the normal user-level service.

But if I get into C&R, or develop more gunsmithing skills, or start buying really crudded up firearms, I will definitely look into getting one.

ETA: Sorry, I'm no help on the "felt pellet." Hopefully someone can give that some thought.
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.