Laugh Out Loud Laugh Out Loud:  0

Thread: Loose cylinder release (J-Frame)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

Loose cylinder release (J-Frame)

My J-Frame continuously develops a loose cylinder release latch. I have tightened it a few times, but it keeps coming loose, sometimes during dry firing. I always catch it before the screw loosens enough to fall out, but that is obviously a major concern.

I want to take the screw out completely, put a dab of blue thread locker on it, and screw it back in. Is this safe to do? Do I need to remove the side plate in order to do so? I'm fairly comfortable taking the side plate off (I've done it on my L-Frame), but I would very much rather not if it's not necessary.
    You can double the stopping power of any caliber with a double tap

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    221 Post(s)
    You have a common problem, and you have figured out a good fix.

Yes, it is safe to do as you describe.

No, you don't need to remove the side plate to do it. Just back out the screw, clean the threads, and use a bit of thread locker. Blue will work, and if you ever have trouble removing the screw in the future you can touch the screw head with a soldering iron to melt the thread locker.

You didn't ask, but you can still remove the side plate with the screw in place. The only thing you won't be able to do without removing the screw is detail strip the revolver. That is rarely necessary. For a routine clean and lube of the inside you can blast out the crud (I use brake cleaner), let everything dry or help it dry with compressed air, and apply oil to all moving parts.

You didn't say blue or stainless. Stainless is easy. Usual precautions apply if blue or another finish.

Go for it!

John W in SC