Thread: Active Threat Citizen Defense (A.T.C.D.) Workshop

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    270 Post(s)

Active Threat Citizen Defense (A.T.C.D.) Workshop

Today I attended a free Active Threat Citizen Defense (A.T.C.D.) Workshop that was ran by the local police department and hosted by a local church. I was especially interested in the description saying it would cover Self-Aid for a Traumatic Incident, Weapon Seizure techniques and Drill, and Scenario Based Practical Exercise. There were a couple hundred people of all different ages and backgrounds in attendance.

The first half was spent on what I would consider the background and psychology aspects. The second half was focused on active shooter response. I was a little disappointed when the items that I really attended for only made up about 45 minutes of a five hour workshop. The self-aid portion consisted of saying how a typical basic first aid kit wasn’t sufficient and should consider having trauma items available and seek training like a “stop the bleed” course which would be coming up in the near future.

Some of my observations and takeaways:
    - A lot of emphasis on not relying on police to save you. Discussed police response times averaging over 3 minutes and just how much can occur in a matter of seconds in an active shooter situation.
    - A few videos of actual shootings and 911 recordings were played to highlight different points.
    - The officer walked around a lot with a training handgun which he waved around and frequently pointed at people. I understood when he was using it for examples or emphasis, but frequently it was just in his hand
    - The officer made sure to highlight what is and isn’t a threat or crime. Just because you are uncomfortable with open carry it is legal and does not constitute a crime unless there is a legitimate direct threat. If called police will show up and investigate hostile situations, but understand a crime has to been committed to arrest a person
    - The only discussion of armed citizens was at the end. He emphasized getting training and making sure you were mentally prepared to kill someone and the after effects if you made the decision to arm yourself.
    - The church had invited one of the local shooting ranges to set up an information table. They gave me a coupon for 25% off a training course, so even though their prices are high, I just might have to take one of their handgun courses.

Overall, it was a very basic course that I didn’t feel taught me much I didn’t already know.
    Last edited by SOS24; April 7th, 2018 at 08:41 PM.
    "Itís the unconquerable soul of man, not the nature of the weapon he uses, that insures victory." Gen George S. Patton

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SOS24 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Today I attended a free Active Threat Citizen Defense (A.T.C.D.) Workshop that was ran by the local police department and hosted by a local church. I was especially interested in the description saying it would cover Self-Aid for a Traumatic Incident, Weapon Seizure techniques and Drill, and Scenario Based Practical Exercise.

The first half was spent on what I would consider the background and psychology aspects. The second half was focused on active shooter response. I was a little disappointed when the items that I really attended for only made up about 45 minutes of a five hour workshop. The self-aid portion consisted of saying how a typical basic first aid kit wasnít sufficient and should consider having trauma items available and seek training like a ďstop the bleedĒ course which would be coming up in the near future.

Some of my observations and takeaways:
    - A lot of emphasis on not relying on police to save you. Discussed police response times averaging over 3 minutes and just how much can occur in a matter of seconds in an active shooter situation.
    - A few videos of actual shootings and 911 recordings were played to highlight different points.
    - The officer walked around a lot with a training handgun which he waved around and frequently pointed at people. I understood when he was using it for examples or emphasis, but frequently it was just in his hand
    - The officer made sure to highlight what is and isnít a threat or crime. Just because you are uncomfortable with open carry it is legal and does not constitute a crime unless there is a legitimate direct threat. If called police will show up and investigate hostile situations, but understand a crime has to been committed to arrest a person
    - The only discussion of armed citizens was at the end. He emphasized getting training and making sure you were mentally prepared to kill someone and the after effects if you made the decision to arm yourself.
    - The church had invited one of the local shooting ranges to set up an information table. They gave me a coupon for 25% off a training course, so even though their prices are high, I just might have to take one of their handgun courses.

Overall, it was a very basic course that I didnít feel taught me much I didnít already know. It was good to see a couple hundred people of all different ages and backgrounds there to learn.
    Sounds as if it wasnít a total waste of time for you at least. You are probably better prepared than 99% of the people you attended with though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk