Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 36

Thread: Ammo in your Bug Out Bag

  1. #16
    Senior Member hackberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    SE
    Posts
    2,280
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    157 Post(s)
    There is always a big argument about guns and ammo for bugout or a long-term shtf situation. I read a book once called "Survival Guns." I forget who it was by, but his argument was that the .22 long rifle is the ultimate survival gun/ammo. One very strong point of his was that the ammo is so easy to carry lots of and store. Also, accuracy, the reliability of a good .22 rifle (he liked lever guns and those survival, pack it into the stock types by Marlin and Browning), and ease of maintenance. His scenario was that you would not be in an urban, shoot it out situation, but in the woods or a rural setting. Your main concern would be small game and self-defense was a secondary concern. He did point out that a .22 LR is quite deadly if you are a decent shot. .22 would certainly be one of my survival guns, but I would not want to give up the 1911/BHP or my shotgun.

  2. #17
    Senior Member chuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Fl.
    Posts
    2,103
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    409 Post(s)
    Food, water, gas and electricity would be my least worry should the SHTF. My worries will be the same as when hurricanes have ravished our area in the past, those who are never prepared and the looters. A Hornady Superformance SST .308 165 Grain round awaits those who attempt to breach my kingdom.
    U.S. Army (Ret) 1953-1977 ‘‘The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able may have a gun.’’
    — Patrick Henry

  3. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    730
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    58 Post(s)
    Without clarity on the situation, it’s a moot point to do any in depth planning.

    I live in the country, and have everything I need here, food, water, and shelter.

    The furthest I will be from home if something happens is about 24 miles.
    A box of pop tarts, canteen of water, and 22 rifle are all I need to get home, which is about an 8-9 hour walk as the crow flys.

    A box of CCI MINI MAGS, and what’s in my pistol will be all I need.
    " But wisdom is shown to be right by what results from it"
    -Jesus

  4. #19
    Senior Member Arejay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Pacific Left Coast
    Posts
    1,943
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    380 Post(s)
    Any SHTF bug out scenario I can think of that involves planning for how much ammo to bug out with really depends on the scenario.
    These threads always get me to thinking and I don't come up with to many situations that will get me to abandon my home.
    There are plenty of scenarios that come up that get me to thinking how to defend it from those bugging out though.
    I can't count the times I've come across a post or an article along the lines of "Give me a poncho and a Nylon 66 and I'll have everything you own when ever I want it"

  5. #20
    Curmudgeon OldVet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Margaritaville
    Posts
    11,291
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1608 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Without clarity on the situation, it’s a moot point to do any in depth planning.

    I live in the country, and have everything I need here, food, water, and shelter.

    The furthest I will be from home if something happens is about 24 miles.
    A box of pop tarts, canteen of water, and 22 rifle are all I need to get home, which is about an 8-9 hour walk as the crow flys.

    A box of CCI MINI MAGS, and what’s in my pistol will be all I need.
    No TP?
    Official Forum Curmudgeon Nonsense, I have not yet begun to defile myself.
    Tact: The skill of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

  6. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    730
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    58 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No TP?
    Nah! Leaves work fine; pine needles if you prefer more of a scrubbing
    " But wisdom is shown to be right by what results from it"
    -Jesus

  7. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    854
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    58 Post(s)
    I don't have a "bug out" bag. My life is pretty much bugged out already and any place I might go will be worse than just staying put.
    Deplorable, Bitter Clinger...and proud of it.

  8. #23
    Curmudgeon OldVet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Margaritaville
    Posts
    11,291
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1608 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nah! Leaves work fine; pine needles if you prefer more of a scrubbing
    Beware of poison ivy!
    Official Forum Curmudgeon Nonsense, I have not yet begun to defile myself.
    Tact: The skill of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

  9. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Confidential...
    Posts
    1,270
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    233 Post(s)
    As I understand the concept, I'm supposed to carry a very limited supply of ammo for my own hardware, along with a similarly limited supply of ammo for a variety of other hardware that I may happen to acquire through the use of my own hardware with its limited ammo supply. And the reason I carry ammo for hardware I may acquire is because I won't acquire any ammo with said newly acquired hardware?

    Is that about it?

    This sounds like a pitch from folks who would sell me desert real estate and promise it would soon be turned into a paradise neighborhood...

    John W in SC

  10. #25
    Senior Member NONAME762's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Behind Enemy lines
    Posts
    1,917
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    116 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John W in SC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As I understand the concept, I'm supposed to carry a very limited supply of ammo for my own hardware, along with a similarly limited supply of ammo for a variety of other hardware that I may happen to acquire through the use of my own hardware with its limited ammo supply. And the reason I carry ammo for hardware I may acquire is because I won't acquire any ammo with said newly acquired hardware?

    Is that about it?

    This sounds like a pitch from folks who would sell me desert real estate and promise it would soon be turned into a paradise neighborhood...

    John W in SC
    I am thoroughly cornfused after reading THAT
    Come January 20th 2017 there be a New SHERIFF hereabouts Yehaaaaa
    How much nuffin could a dindu do if a dindu dindu nuffin?

  11. #26
    Senior Member GRCarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Posts
    2,349
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    501 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John W in SC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As I understand the concept, I'm supposed to carry a very limited supply of ammo for my own hardware, along with a similarly limited supply of ammo for a variety of other hardware that I may happen to acquire through the use of my own hardware with its limited ammo supply. And the reason I carry ammo for hardware I may acquire is because I won't acquire any ammo with said newly acquired hardware?

    Is that about it?

    This sounds like a pitch from folks who would sell me desert real estate and promise it would soon be turned into a paradise neighborhood...

    John W in SC
    Yeah. That's about it. Except that you missed that you don't know how well your newly acquired hardware will work, how it will work with the extra weight you're carrying, and whether or not you know how to use the acquired hardware.

    As you brought up, you're supposed to acquire hardware, but with no ammo. Early on, I figure that won't be a problem. The problem will be making sure the hands are cold before you try to pry the guns away. Later on, yeah, could be a problem, but you'll run into a lot of other problems first.
    TANSTAAFL - "Moon is a Harsh Mistress"
    OldVet, 30 March 2018: "But being the agreeable sort, I agree."

  12. #27
    Senior Member NONAME762's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Behind Enemy lines
    Posts
    1,917
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    116 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My bug-out bag is a Silverado. It can carry all the ammo I toss in it.
    I was gonna read all of these posts. Not even 30 yet. OV's right. My Silverado is an '04 Ranger XLT 4 Door. Topped it off around 2100 w/8G Gasola$25 upon return of my ROAD TRIP. I just inventoried what a recently stowed 30cal can contains.

    900R 22 Blazer
    150R 22 Stinger
    100R 22 Short (Ultra Quiet in my High Standard)
    100R 380
    024R Mosin

    I live in an area prone to flooding in years past. I'm also at 160' above the river here. If it really flooded and inundated the town with NoName I can get to 400-500' in under 2 miles. So makes better sense to bunker down in place. A man I respect once told me in 1996 "you leave your land or homestead you are a REFUGEE." No Thanks.

    I have a good bit of Grub H20 plenty of ammo 5yr worth of propane for cooking plenty of warm clothes firewood candles out the wazoo matches lighters and camping gear up the wazuu. Plenty of Medical stuff. Leave me be I am fine.

    Local Fire EMS and LE will have their hands full. I am FINE right here. If they tell me to Evac I will tell them No Thanks. If they force the issue there will be another Remember The Alamo. I'd rather die on my feet surrounded by empty brass.
    Last edited by NONAME762; May 16th, 2018 at 04:35 AM. Reason: added sumx3
    Come January 20th 2017 there be a New SHERIFF hereabouts Yehaaaaa
    How much nuffin could a dindu do if a dindu dindu nuffin?

  13. #28
    Senior Member NONAME762's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Behind Enemy lines
    Posts
    1,917
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    116 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Forester58 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't have a "bug out" bag. My life is pretty much bugged out already and any place I might go will be worse than just staying put.
    The thing is Forester you're in Montana. And smack dab in the American Redoubt and hundreds if not a few thousand folks that think and behave just like you. I've loved vacationing in Montana immensely the 2 times I've been there but it was always summer time NOT winter. I'm sure the first winter the newcomers try on 4 size would weed out many city slickers not to mention the blue folks invading the red states. And yes Sir that's the new rub. Democrat leaders have put the word out to move into the red states and turn them blue. It has already happened in my county. As much as I hate what our new Buffoon gov has done here I mean to stick close to my kin as they were a family of 3. Now they are 4 with one in the oven and I want to watch and see the rascals grow up. Plus the BIL knocked me out of my chair with "I listen to what you say Uncle NoName and think about it fairly often." I was aghast with that. So I pressed him for more. Then he said "I'm turning REDNECK."Praise the Lord and Pass The Ammunition!! And all this time my sister had been telling me to knock it off. Well I'm taking a different tack but I see a new conservative like a new sprout shooting out of a field in the spring and I'm proud as a peacock. I'm teaching their 2 boys how to shake hands like a Real Man and stuff like that. I'm listening a lot too.
    Last edited by NONAME762; May 16th, 2018 at 05:36 AM. Reason: Clarificationx2.
    Come January 20th 2017 there be a New SHERIFF hereabouts Yehaaaaa
    How much nuffin could a dindu do if a dindu dindu nuffin?

  14. #29
    Senior Member NONAME762's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Behind Enemy lines
    Posts
    1,917
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    116 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nah Leaves work fine; pine needles if you prefer more of a scrubbing!
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Beware of poison ivy!
    Yesterday coming home and just 20 mikes out I resupplied with 6mo worth of TP some Deli goodies and udder culinary delights I can't get at Dollar Tree and so on and so forth Before even getting inside the store 1 of the workers turned me on to the electric cart. WINCO is the size of a Costco... Got spices and flavor enhancers for homemade Asian enuf 4 quite a while.

    Having sum Orange Chicken and goopy lovely Cole (tying on a Feed Bag) Slaw for AM victuals. Another hour and it'll be sunrise here out West. With diet Pepsi Breakfast of Champions!!
    Last edited by NONAME762; May 16th, 2018 at 06:05 AM. Reason: booboo
    Come January 20th 2017 there be a New SHERIFF hereabouts Yehaaaaa
    How much nuffin could a dindu do if a dindu dindu nuffin?

  15. #30
    Senior Member NONAME762's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Behind Enemy lines
    Posts
    1,917
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    116 Post(s)

    Mel Tappen

    Quote Originally Posted by hackberry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There is always a big argument about guns and ammo for bugout or a long-term shtf situation. I read a book once called "Survival Guns." I forget who it was by, but his argument was that the .22 long rifle is the ultimate survival gun/ammo. One very strong point of his was that the ammo is so easy to carry lots of and store. Also, accuracy, the reliability of a good .22 rifle (he liked lever guns and those survival, pack it into the stock types by Marlin and Browning), and ease of maintenance. His scenario was that you would not be in an urban, shoot it out situation, but in the woods or a rural setting. Your main concern would be small game and self-defense was a secondary concern. He did point out that a .22 LR is quite deadly if you are a decent shot. .22 would certainly be one of my survival guns, but I would not want to give up the 1911/BHP or my shotgun.
    "Survival Guns" I believe was written by a man who at that time early to mid 1970s was the premier authority on everything to do with the great outdoors. His name? Mel Tappan. It's been 40+ years but seems he was striken with a medical condition that started quick and got worse faster than doctors could fix him. His wife Nancy Tappan tried valiantly to continue his work while dealing with the tragedy of losing her husband at such a young age. At that time I had an incurable thirst for outdoor sports in the mountains in the forests and survival should circumstances go completely sideways. Hope this helps Hackberry.
    Last edited by NONAME762; May 16th, 2018 at 06:50 AM. Reason: oops
    Come January 20th 2017 there be a New SHERIFF hereabouts Yehaaaaa
    How much nuffin could a dindu do if a dindu dindu nuffin?

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •