Laugh Out Loud Laugh Out Loud:  0

Thread: Can start carrying my old favorite again.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    27 Post(s)

Can start carrying my old favorite again.

I had given my favorite carry pistol to my nephew due a 20 year old promise. My nephew decided he wanted something more modern, he did not like the heel clip mag release, so he took my Bersa Thunder this time and gabe me back the East German which I have not been able to see the sights on, they kept shrinking on me. So, I promptly drove it over to North Branch to Amerigun for some new sights. After perusing all their options I picked their own brand of night sight. It is not as svelte looking as some other custom sights, the rear sight is a bit blocky, but I like the flat high front for possible one handed wracking of the slide in an emergency.

The main reason I picked their proprietary sight was the interesting rear sight picture, sight window is more triangular then square, giving a lot of light at the bottom of the sight for high visibility and the top is a tighter opening which gives very nice precision sighting, rather like the original small thin Mak sight. The dots are high visibility in all light situations, and the tritium dots are nice and bright in the dark. Very pleased so far and the guys at Amerigun are excellent to deal with, they do great work, plus have a nice dog to pet.

mak1.jpg

mak2.jpg

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    221 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lee1959 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    <snip>

The main reason I picked their proprietary sight was the interesting rear sight picture, sight window is more triangular then square, giving a lot of light at the bottom of the sight for high visibility and the top is a tighter opening which gives very nice precision sighting,<snip>
    Interesting sight picture! I've never seen anything quite like it. You should get the speed of a wide notch with the accuracy of a narrow notch.

Thanks!

John W in SC

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    270 Post(s)
    Enjoy.

The sights are interesting looking.
    "Itís the unconquerable soul of man, not the nature of the weapon he uses, that insures victory." Gen George S. Patton

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1101 Post(s)
    Love the feel of the Mak in the hand, but (being a lefty, generally) I've always disliked slide-mounted safeties. About the closest that format gets, for me: the SIG P232 .380ACP. Not in 9mmMak, of course.

There are a few sighting systems out there that change up the traditional bar/dot or triple-dot layout. Such as SureSight's triangular sight picture, or a "big dot" variant like XS Systems's DXW sights. You could always go with a "micro" red dot ... like TruGlo's option. You'd be the only one in your neighborhood (state?) with that combo.

Enjoy the new-old pony back in the stable.
    Cardinal principle: Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Philosophy: Why the Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos)
    On the RKBA: Most of what you think you know about our Constitution is wrong -- Michael Badnarik

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    71 Post(s)
    Man I love older guns ......
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    You know they make a normal mag relese for the Mak right ..It is a russian add on grip its a lever that works the heel ..Not the most fancy but it works

I have not seen that sight option before ..Very nice ..

Have you looked at the CZ82 by the way for a old school carry gun?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1526 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wrongrecroom View Post
    You know they make a normal mag relese for the Mak right ..It is a russian add on grip its a lever that works the heel ..Not the most fancy but it works

I have not seen that sight option before ..Very nice ..

Have you looked at the CZ82 by the way for a old school carry gun?
    I bought a CZ-82 as a project gun, tearing it down to its individual parts, applying Duracoat, and reassembling. I'm surprised it worked, but it is a really sweet shooter. It has never faltered once with commercial or reloaded ammo made from converted 9x19 cases. I'd carry it if needed, but I have too many other pistols in line ahead of it. Commercial ammo can be a bit hard to find in LGSs. Hornady makes SD ammo for it (Critical Defense).

Before:
    02.JPG

After:
    03.jpg
    Official Forum Curmudgeon Nonsense, I have not yet begun to defile myself.
    Tact: The skill of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I bought a CZ-82 as a project gun, tearing it down to its individual parts, applying Duracoat, and reassembling. I'm surprised it worked, but it is a really sweet shooter. It has never faltered once with commercial or reloaded ammo made from converted 9x19 cases. I'd carry it if needed, but I have too many other pistols in line ahead of it. Commercial ammo can be a bit hard to find in LGSs. Hornady makes SD ammo for it (Critical Defense).

Before:
    02.JPG

After:
    03.jpg

Around here the dealers all carry it as bulgy maks and P63 etc are easy to find

Red army makes brass case ammo for anyone whos range wants that

Ammo is still cheep for steel case

and yeah nice 82 ..They are very nice guns

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    221 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I bought a CZ-82 as a project gun,<snip>Commercial ammo can be a bit hard to find in LGSs. Hornady makes SD ammo for it (Critical Defense).
    I checked my stash. In 2008 I bought 1000 rounds of Barnaul fmj from Wideners for $167 plus shipping. I still have most of it left. I also have some Silver Bear jhp, but no record of what I paid. And I have some bags of Gold Dot loads from Georgia Arms, at $16 for 50. All are 90 gr.

9 x 18 is still around, if not particularly cheaper than 9 x 19. Gun-deals shows several choices at http://gun-deals.com/list/ammo/9x18+%2528Makarov%2529, and Georgia Arms shows "9mm Makarov 90gr Speer Bonded Unicore Hollow Point 50pk" for $25 at http://www.georgia-arms.com/new-9mm-...-hollow-point/.

I like my CZ-82, although I've never actually carried it. I also like irritating certain people by telling them I bought it mail order, shipped to my door, without going through NICS. (OK, so I sometimes forget to mention the C&R part.)

I like the way your project turned out!

John W in SC

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1526 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John W in SC View Post
    I like the way your project turned out!

John W in SC
    So do I. In fact, I did one for my USNR son.

04.jpg

The other side has his Rank, Name, etc. so didn't want to show that. Wolff did the laser engraving on the slide and gripes.
    Official Forum Curmudgeon Nonsense, I have not yet begun to defile myself.
    Tact: The skill of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    27 Post(s)

Very nice CZ, they are a great pistol indeed, and should serve your fine young man well indeed, thank him for his service and dedication to our freedom please. Many 9x18 fans do not know that the CZ83 commercial version, which came in a stainless version, also came in 9x18 even though it is primarily sold as a .380 pistol, very rare these days. The Mak is an old friend who I have gotten very comfortable with and I am very glad that the new sights make it user friendly for my aging eyes.