Laugh Out Loud Laugh Out Loud:  0
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Luv'in my re-found hobby again, Ham Radio

  1. #1
    Senior Member Siam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,155
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    646 Post(s)

    Luv'in my re-found hobby again, Ham Radio

    I made my first QSL last night. A guy in Paraguay on the 40 meter band answered me. I also have been playing around with Fusion in the 90 cm band. Texas has a huge network for Fusion. You can talk from the TX/OK border down to south of San Antonio with no breaks. I have a friend in Dallas and we talk on the radio now instead of calling each other. There is a gap between San Antonio and Houston, but i think someone is going to do a repeater there so there would be coverage all the way to the Gulf coast.


    Dstars is kind of a pain, but once set up it is nice. I do prefer the traditional simplex stuff, but the new technology is pretty amazing.

    Just fun stuff. Going for my Extra license in a couple of weeks. Wife also gave me permission to put up a tower

    Here is a map of the coverage in TX for Fusion in case anyone ever gets the Ham bug.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fusion texas.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	90.6 KB 
ID:	15004
    Last edited by Siam; June 9th, 2018 at 02:08 PM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Chicken Rancher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    South of Canada and North of Mexico
    Posts
    1,408
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    172 Post(s)
    I had considered Ham radio at one time but just never pursued it. Though I have recently returned to a hobby from my youth and I am just enjoying the heck out of it so I know how you feel when you say you are luvin returning to your old hobby. I feel the same way though mine is just building dust collecting airplane models it is fun and relaxing for me and I'm sure before long I'll jump back into armor dioramas. Lot's has changed from 30 plus years ago so I have a lot to learn and relearn. Nothing like a good hobby you can enjoy with a passion.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    1,589
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    299 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Siam View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I made my first QSL last night. A guy in Paraguay on the 40 meter band answered me. I also have been playing around with Fusion in the 90 cm band. Texas has a huge network for Fusion. You can talk from the TX/OK border down to south of San Antonio with no breaks. I have a friend in Dallas and we talk on the radio now instead of calling each other. There is a gap between San Antonio and Houston, but i think someone is going to do a repeater there so there would be coverage all the way to the Gulf coast.


    Dstars is kind of a pain, but once set up it is nice. I do prefer the traditional simplex stuff, but the new technology is pretty amazing.

    Just fun stuff. Going for my Extra license in a couple of weeks. Wife also gave me permission to put up a tower

    Here is a map of the coverage in TX for Fusion in case anyone ever gets the Ham bug.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fusion texas.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	90.6 KB 
ID:	15004
    I know where you can get a free tower, but it would be a long drive for you.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Siam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,155
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    646 Post(s)

    Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know where you can get a free tower, but it would be a long drive for you.
    How far is far? If it is a nice quality retractable or tilt I might consider.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Kilowatt3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    SW Louisiana
    Posts
    829
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Siam View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I made my first QSL last night. A guy in Paraguay on the 40 meter band answered me. I also have been playing around with Fusion in the 90 cm band. Texas has a huge network for Fusion. You can talk from the TX/OK border down to south of San Antonio with no breaks. I have a friend in Dallas and we talk on the radio now instead of calling each other. There is a gap between San Antonio and Houston, but i think someone is going to do a repeater there so there would be coverage all the way to the Gulf coast.

    Dstars is kind of a pain, but once set up it is nice. I do prefer the traditional simplex stuff, but the new technology is pretty amazing...[/ATTACH]
    Have you looked at 2M SSB? I started fooling with it a few years ago, and was stunned at how well it outperforms FM.

    With a 13-element yagi up only about 30 feet, I could pretty reliably work simplex into Corpus Christi from the Lake Charles, LA area with modest power. Of course, the path was mostly over water, which helps a little!

    Enjoy!

  6. #6
    Senior Member Siam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,155
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    646 Post(s)

    Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Have you looked at 2M SSB? I started fooling with it a few years ago, and was stunned at how well it outperforms FM.

    With a 13-element yagi up only about 30 feet, I could pretty reliably work simplex into Corpus Christi from the Lake Charles, LA area with modest power. Of course, the path was mostly over water, which helps a little!

    Enjoy!
    There was meteor scattering last week and I tried USB then. Did not get anyone. I got word of the shower just as it was about over. It was on June 7th (peak)

    Daylight Meteors: The Arietids

    There is a 2 meter freq (144.07) used by Straight Key Century Club (SKCC), which I am a member of, for Morse Code (CW).

    I only have up a dual band VHU/UHF omni antenna now for those bands. For HF I have a 40 meter and 20 meter dipole up. I am trying to decide on my next antenna purchase or fabrication. I made the two dipoles myself.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I love ham radio. Radio is my first love target practice is my second. I like to rag chew more than contest.
    I do love the special events.

    Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Curmudgeon OldVet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Margaritaville
    Posts
    11,504
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1706 Post(s)
    I avoid talking to people I don't know. Ham ain't for me.
    Official Forum Curmudgeon Nonsense, I have not yet begun to defile myself.
    Tact: The skill of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

  9. #9
    Senior Member hackberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    SE
    Posts
    2,313
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    172 Post(s)
    Anytime Old Vet has any kind of radio it is "ham" radio...

  10. #10
    Senior Member Arejay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Pacific Left Coast
    Posts
    2,129
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    438 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I avoid talking to people I don't know. Ham ain't for me.
    Morse code. Old school.

  11. #11
    Curmudgeon OldVet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Margaritaville
    Posts
    11,504
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1706 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hackberry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Anytime Old Vet has any kind of radio it is "ham" radio...
    And another one bites, and another one bites, and another one bites the dust!
    Official Forum Curmudgeon Nonsense, I have not yet begun to defile myself.
    Tact: The skill of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

  12. #12
    Curmudgeon OldVet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Margaritaville
    Posts
    11,504
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1706 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arejay View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Morse code. Old school.
    No one could understand my shaky tap-tap.
    Official Forum Curmudgeon Nonsense, I have not yet begun to defile myself.
    Tact: The skill of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Siam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,155
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    646 Post(s)

    Quote Originally Posted by Arejay View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Morse code. Old school.
    CW is way more common than you would imagine. I am a memebr of FIST and SKCC (Straight Key Century Club). Here are my keys

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cw keys.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	98.3 KB 
ID:	16683

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •