Rep Level: PDF Range Member

Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    32 Post(s)
    I was a ham many years ago in high school, got my general (WB2TQN) in 75 when I was a freshman then my advanced a year later (N2ADG), tested for extra and passed the code easily but failed the extra class theory by 1 question. This was back when you had to go to an FCC office to test, in my case that was a commuter train ride into Manhattan.

Built an HW101 then spent a month troubleshooting it, was mostly a code guy on 80 meters but occasionally higher bands, never took to 2 m or 6 m. I renewed my license once or twice but kinda drifted away and let it lapse after that. Of course it was all tube theory with a smidgen of transistors back then, probably more on regulations and antennas than electronics theory nowadays (just an assumption).

Thought about getting back in on QRP setup using code just in case of TEOWAKI, might still. Miss my old vibroplex keyer, they seem to be selling for couple hundred nowadays, probably out of my budget. And Heathkit closed its last retail store long time ago so that would take some of the fun out of things for me.

Besides the Ham set I built Heathkit shortwave sets, swr/tuners, am/fm radios, electronic keyers, audio amps and clock radios as a teen. Spent more time at their store in Totawa NJ than I like to admit but most of the kits were gifts from my grandpa who was also a ham W2PUZ most of his adult life, usually handling MARs traffic on CW. He had a Heathkit 2kw linear covered all of the HF bands but couldnt use it much because it blacked out TVs for 3-4 houses in any direction lol.

Asst. Administrator Rep Power: 100
    Rep Level: PDF Bronze Member
    Threads
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1676 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KyBill View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Besides the Ham set I built Heathkit shortwave sets, swr/tuners, am/fm radios, electronic keyers, audio amps ...

... my grandpa who was also a ham W2PUZ most of his adult life, usually handling MARs traffic on CW. He had a Heathkit 2kw linear covered all of the HF bands but couldnt use it much because it blacked out TVs for 3-4 houses in any direction lol.
    It's my understanding those are the only sorts worth anything. With ham radios, CB's, hand-held two-way units, etc. Never could understand why 0.5W hand-held devices existed, when so many good 2-5W units could be obtained.

In order to be a ham operator, myself, I certainly would need to move into the sticks about 25mi or so.
    Cardinal principle: Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Philosophy: Why the Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos)
    On the RKBA: Most of what you think you know about our Constitution is wrong -- Michael Badnarik

Senior Member Rep Power: 6
    Rep Level: PDF Colonial Warrior
    Threads
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1352 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    It's my understanding those are the only sorts worth anything. With ham radios, CB's, hand-held two-way units, etc. Never could understand why 0.5W hand-held devices existed, when so many good 2-5W units could be obtained.

In order to be a ham operator, myself, I certainly would need to move into the sticks about 25mi or so.
    I transmit up to 1000 Watts 80-20 meter bands. So far no one has complained.

UHF/VHF (90cm/2 meter) I only need .5 watts to hit the repeater. I can do 5 Watss on my handheld if travelling. My base for 90cm/2M can go to 5 to 50 watts.

Member Rep Power: 0
    Rep Level: PDF Range Member

Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    32 Post(s)
    I only had 100w on the HW101 but communicated all over the world via CW.

However in the 70’s a normal vacuum cleaner being used was enough to scramble a tube television set. The ham gear was on a whole ‘nuther level.

Of course houses where we lived were only 20-30’ apart. Now I’m in the sticks and a good 1,000 feet from my nearest neighbors. I could run a very long wire antenna on my property.

Asst. Administrator Rep Power: 100
    Rep Level: PDF Bronze Member
    Threads
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1676 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Siam View Post

UHF/VHF (90cm/2 meter) I only need .5 watts to hit the repeater. I can do 5 Watss on my handheld if travelling. My base for 90cm/2M can go to 5 to 50 watts.
    1000W from next door, eh? Figure it'd blow the rabbit ears back, a bit.

Good thing we're beyond "rabbit ears," these days. Though I'm sure it'll toy with the wireless connectivity of the neighbors.
    Cardinal principle: Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Philosophy: Why the Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos)
    On the RKBA: Most of what you think you know about our Constitution is wrong -- Michael Badnarik

Threads
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1352 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    1000W from next door, eh? Figure it'd blow the rabbit ears back, a bit.

Good thing we're beyond "rabbit ears," these days. Though I'm sure it'll toy with the wireless connectivity of the neighbors.
    It does not affect anything in my house. The antenna I transmit 1000W is about 40 yards from the house. I do transmit about 300 watts from a long wire that is attached to the house with no problems.

The trouble with interference is not normally because of the power and frequency being transmitted. It is if the antenna and cables system is not shielded and grounded correctly you get problems.

You get a lot more interference with LED lights and a crappy cable connection that you do from a proper Ham radio set up.

Senior Member Rep Power: 5
    Rep Level: PDF Green Dragon
    Threads
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    138 Post(s)
    Great to see this thread resurrected!

I've been a ham for about 33 years now, but woefully inactive for the last several. Hope to get back into it before long.

Had a lot of great experiences, some of them a tad unusual! I got big into HF digital modes in the 80's, and was an AMTOR fanatic. I've worked a bunch of satellites, (including mobile from my pickup!), had live QSO's with several orbiting spacecraft (MIR, the ISS, and several shuttle missions), and had the priviledge of being the control operator for a SAREX mission, enabling school kids to chat with astronauts in orbit. Worked mobile ATV (television), also in connection with a project with school kids.

A friend & I had what we believe to be the first 13 cm. ham QSO in SW Louisiana, using transverters that we built from surplused cell tower parts we found at a swap-meet.

I've still got plenty of gear, but just don't have any antennas up at present. I've got plenty of acreage, but just been too busy to fool with it! I've got capability for 1.8 MHz all the way through 1.2 GHz. My favorite HF band is 15m., and I really get a kick out of HF mobile. I've REALLY got to get back with the program!

Senior Member Rep Power: 5
    Rep Level: PDF Green Dragon
    Threads
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    138 Post(s)

90 cm.???

Threads
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1352 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    90 cm.???
    Sorry, typo. 70 cm band (UHF 440 MHz)

G19 Rep Power: 4
    Rep Level: PDF Colonist
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    65 Post(s)
    Congrats entering the hobby. When are you taking the tests? Have you thought about taking the General as well? Have fun!
    I don't have any firm timetable to take the test, I see a few scheduled most every month locally. I'm reading the updated Gordon West study book and taking practice tests at both QRZ.com and hamradioschool.com.
    I'll likely take the test in the next 2 months or so, I'm in no hurry.

I'm doing well learning the answers to the test questions, my issue is I need to know WHY that is the correct answer...that is taking up the little time I have to study.

No, I hadn't thought of also taking the General while I'm at it, but will consider it.

Good to see this resurrected thread getting attention, thanks all!

PS
    I'll be needing an Elmer soon...

Threads
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1352 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Slice11 View Post
    I don't have any firm timetable to take the test, I see a few scheduled most every month locally. I'm reading the updated Gordon West study book and taking practice tests at both QRZ.com and hamradioschool.com.
    I'll likely take the test in the next 2 months or so, I'm in no hurry.

I'm doing well learning the answers to the test questions, my issue is I need to know WHY that is the correct answer...that is taking up the little time I have to study.

No, I hadn't thought of also taking the General while I'm at it, but will consider it.

Good to see this resurrected thread getting attention, thanks all!

PS
    I'll be needing an Elmer soon...
    Most people these days study to just pass the test. Honestly, for the tech lic it is no big deal whether you know the theory or not unless you are doing more technical things.

Is there a Fusion network in your area or D-Stars?

G19 Rep Power: 4
    Rep Level: PDF Colonist
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    65 Post(s)
    Most people these days study to just pass the test. Honestly, for the tech lic it is no big deal whether you know the theory or not unless you are doing more technical things.

Is there a Fusion network in your area or D-Stars?
    I took the Element II test last Saturday and aced it. They acted like 100% was unusual and advised that I should go ahead and take the General while I was there. I told them I don't want to "pass" the General test, I want to CRUSH the General test like I just did this one. Big smiles all around.

I received my authorization and new call sign this morning, a brand new radio station is now on the air! Unsure what to think of my randomly selected call sign, it is suggestive of beastiality.
    And yeah, I know I can apply for a vanity call sign.

I don't know what equipment I will end up with, right now I'm staying inexpensive and portable. I have a pair of UV5Rs and a pair of F82HPs with appropriate antennas (Diamonds and Expert Power), a Diamond mag mount for the truck, a Kenwood handheld mike, ect.
    I can open a handful of repeaters with the HT antennas, looking forward to what the mag mount will do.

I'll go with a mobile and NMO antenna once I decide which route to take. I'm fascinated with home-made antennas.
    I've been dabbling with learning Morse Code, now that the test is over, I will dive into it.

I haven't looked into Fusion or D-Stars yet, will advise when I do.

Threads
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1352 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Slice11 View Post
    I took the Element II test last Saturday and aced it. They acted like 100% was unusual and advised that I should go ahead and take the General while I was there. I told them I don't want to "pass" the General test, I want to CRUSH the General test like I just did this one. Big smiles all around.

I received my authorization and new call sign this morning, a brand new radio station is now on the air! Unsure what to think of my randomly selected call sign, it is suggestive of beastiality.
    And yeah, I know I can apply for a vanity call sign.

I don't know what equipment I will end up with, right now I'm staying inexpensive and portable. I have a pair of UV5Rs and a pair of F82HPs with appropriate antennas (Diamonds and Expert Power), a Diamond mag mount for the truck, a Kenwood handheld mike, ect.
    I can open a handful of repeaters with the HT antennas, looking forward to what the mag mount will do.

I'll go with a mobile and NMO antenna once I decide which route to take. I'm fascinated with home-made antennas.
    I've been dabbling with learning Morse Code, now that the test is over, I will dive into it.

I haven't looked into Fusion or D-Stars yet, will advise when I do.
    Fusion is great here in TX because of the huge amount of coverage. You can also use your own hotspot and basically talk to people all over the world. I talk to this one guy in England a few times a week on a handheld

Congrats. Making antennas is fun and rewarding. Morse is still fun. I go CW a few times a week. Concentrate on listening, not just sending. Sending is waaay easier.