Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Today is the first day of the rest of my life.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    330 Post(s)
    Been there and know what it's like. Pick yourself up and carry on. This one event doesn't define you. Heck, it doesn't even represent you. Good news is smart companies now favor older workers reversing decades of age discrimination. Seems the younger folks can't or won't work so I'm told.

I'll send some prayers your way.
    I find supremely ironic that God in his wisdom and grace has given man freedom of choice bounded by 10 simple rules. Man in his finite wisdom has created millions of rules to limit freedom of choice and personal responsibility of man.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    58 Post(s)
    Hang in there and don't miss an opportunity because your in a down spot. You will find where you belong.
    Deplorable, Bitter Clinger...and proud of it.

NUTS! Gen. McAuliffe Stumpkiller's Avatar
    Upstate NY in the headlands of the foothills
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    257 Post(s)
    Well that sucks. Good luck in the next chapter. Things turn up.

Been "right-sized" two times, rode a failing company down three times, was told I would not be "reappointed" once (I was a mayor-appointed comptroller) and flat out quit a very messed up business with no place to go. The husband of a coworker hung himself after finding out the boss and his wife were playing "hide-the-weenie" while I did the work putting in 70 to 80 hour weeks with no OT - and I quit and walked away with no place to go.

Of course all but one have been before I achieved tenure or a pension. That hurts. Also scares the crap out of me that I hope to retire in two years (will have 10 with the current) but I can't take the medical when I retire (would need 20 years with them do do that!)

I do recommend you keep busy. Take anything. Nothing looks worse on a resume than blank time periods. When I quit that job I took a part-time teaching job that paid the same per day as my unemployment - but stretched that because I only claimed two days per week and worked 4 hours/day for three days. Also was GREAT practice in public speaking and helped a lot in my two later positions.

Co out and collect "no"s. See how many resumes you can send around that dead-end. Eventually a "yes" will turn up.
    Every word of God is pure; He is a Shield (TM) unto them that put their trust in Him. Proverbs 30:5
    In training to be the forum's assistant deputy backup curmudgeon

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    95 Post(s)
    They say , the most stressful times are ..... buying a new house and moving, changing jobs or starting a new one, losing your job, and getting married or divorced.

So, I hired this guy coming out of college ...... graduating / new job ... and he had to move to here as well, so bought a house. And , he was getting married. So, in 3 weeks, he graduated, had a new job and had to move to a different city, bought a house and got married.

I asked him ..... are you just trying to get all of the supposed high stressful things in life done at the same time, so you can be done with them ? Actually , he just took one thing ... ok , got that .... and moved to the next ..... and then the next. Dealing with whatever there was that day, to have to deal with. Yes, those were positives , but still involve big changes and involve stress.

Easy way to help move forward and keep out of dwelling on it, each day .... what can I do today, toward that. Each day, do something that gets you closer to where you want to be .... and it will come. You'll start seeing it pay off. Doesn't matter what it is either .....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    33 Post(s)
    After severing ties with my last employer I asked myself what could I do to keep myself busy and make a few bucks at the same time ............. I've always been a do it myself-er so I taught myself to make holsters

Take something you like to do and find a way to make $$$$ doing it.

My 1st holster -

My latest -

"It's easier to avoid conflict than it is to survive it!"

Unrepentant chocoholic ShooterGranny's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    426 Post(s)
    JoJoGunn said it very well. My experience with major life changes has also been that when one door closes, God will open another one. Not that it is easy. Sometimes it is terribly hard and you do not feel you can make it. Others here have had words of encouragement and suggestions, all of which are good ones if you can see where they might apply to you.

Have faith - in God and in yourself. Those things go together. At least they do for me.
    1 - asked for strength.jpg
    If you think changes need to be made - get out and DO SOMETHING positive!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)
    @Blackhawkgirl, I don't know what to say that so many others have not said, and much better than I would. But I do know that you are a very strong and determined lady. You have the tenacity to regroup and exceed at your next venture. As we've talked, I know you have had a few hard times & I pray for guidance, strength, patience and perseverance for you. Take time to reflect on where you are, how you got there, where you see yourself going and how to get there. Take the RV for a little trip if needed. Spend time with your BF.

I agree with what Stumpkiller says, take anything available in the meantime. Too many employers these days may not be willing to even talk to someone who is unemployed. My wife ran into that quite a bit when she was looking a while back.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    392 Post(s)

This day has started with sky-rocketed blood pressure, right out of bed. It is difficult for me to really socialize, put together plans, call recruiters when I am like this. I am not myself. I need to get that under control as a priority. I am probably going to need meds again. I as doing so well without BP meds, exercising, loosing weight. I don't like taking meds at all.

Part of bringing the BP down is getting all the of the job tie-up done and out the door. I am going to try to get a lot of that done this morning, then I just need to coast for a few days.

Thank you for the kind words, thoughts and ways to cope.
    Contact your reps about restrictive gun laws->https://act.nraila.org/
    Lady Shooters! PM me if you would like to join a female private firearms sub-group!

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    392 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SGB View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    After severing ties with my last employer I asked myself what could I do to keep myself busy and make a few bucks at the same time ............. I've always been a do it myself-er so I taught myself to make holsters

Take something you like to do and find a way to make $$$$ doing it.

My 1st holster -

My latest -

LOL, I am working on a really cool, fuzzy holster for my new 1911 right now! I think a lot of mine will appeal to the ladies, but I am sure there will be some that appeal to the guys too! I really have to work out the tools though. My thumbs and wrists were compromised and have issues from a fall I had a few years ago. Using manual awls are out of the question. I just bought some punches to try. I am thinking I might need a leather sewing machine if I really want to do something, to spare the hands and wrists. Then I need a leather supplier.

If I have time to work on it today, I will post the results.
    Lady Shooters! PM me if you would like to join a female private firearms sub-group!

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    392 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ctr View Post
    Been there and know what it's like. Pick yourself up and carry on. This one event doesn't define you. Heck, it doesn't even represent you. Good news is smart companies now favor older workers reversing decades of age discrimination. Seems the younger folks can't or won't work so I'm told.

I'll send some prayers your way.
    Crazy thing is, the past 2 companies I worked for, wanted someone only for headcount or as a political prop, rather than someone who would actually do the job they were hired to do. It would be great to find a company that really could make use of my skills, because I am a darn smart and a hard worker in the right environment. I have saved companies $$$ near 7 digits from implementing simple process improvement.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    392 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Forester58 View Post
    Hang in there and don't miss an opportunity because your in a down spot. You will find where you belong.
    I should have been a Forest Ranger, really. That is how my high school aptitude tests came out, but I entered the workforce during the desktop computer boom and I got caught up in it due to the quick, easy, money. It seems like my age and physical capabilities are in question for some of these Ranger type things now, though.

I was talking with a Ranger this past weekend at a historic site. Even though he was quite a bit younger, we clicked because we had that same spirit. I hate being inside. I connect to the wild. I feel closest to God in the wilderness. I feel more a part of something in the wilderness or on a quiet lake. I am very active, unafraid, but have great respect for Mother Nature. If I could make a living without technology, I would use all this electronic junk for target practice and then dispose of it in an earth friendly way

Unrepentant chocoholic ShooterGranny's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    426 Post(s)
    Even jobs as wildlife officers (forest rangers) are becoming more scarce on both the state and national levels. One of my friend's husbands was a wildlife enforcement officer was downsized out of the job he loved more than any other he's ever had. And, if I recall correctly, TN used to have a group of state foresters and last I heard there was only one for the entire state. That may not be correct. It may be for this area of the state instead of the entire state, but they did get rid of several positions a few years ago.

Keep an open mind and heart and a job will materialize for you, even if it might be in a totally new direction. My life took turns I never could have imagined.
    If you think changes need to be made - get out and DO SOMETHING positive!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    51 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawkgirl View Post
    Crazy thing is, the past 2 companies I worked for, wanted someone only for headcount or as a political prop, rather than someone who would actually do the job they were hired to do. It would be great to find a company that really could make use of my skills, because I am a darn smart and a hard worker in the right environment. I have saved companies $$$ near 7 digits from implementing simple process improvement.
    Get your LinkedIn profile updated and get on Indeed.com and Glassdoor.com. Theladders.com is so-so and expensive. I get more responses from my LinkedIn and Indeed.com profiles.

Max
    I never let schooling interfere with my education.
    Mark Twain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    58 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawkgirl View Post
    I should have been a Forest Ranger, really. That is how my high school aptitude tests came out, but I entered the workforce during the desktop computer boom and I got caught up in it due to the quick, easy, money. It seems like my age and physical capabilities are in question for some of these Ranger type things now, though.

I was talking with a Ranger this past weekend at a historic site. Even though he was quite a bit younger, we clicked because we had that same spirit. I hate being inside. I connect to the wild. I feel closest to God in the wilderness. I feel more a part of something in the wilderness or on a quiet lake. I am very active, unafraid, but have great respect for Mother Nature. If I could make a living without technology, I would use all this electronic junk for target practice and then dispose of it in an earth friendly way
    I knew from an early age I had to work outside and I get a little claustrophobic in crowds so even though I started down the road of an Architecture degree I ended up with a degree in Forestry instead. I gave up a bigger salary in a big city for a much smaller paycheck in little rural towns. Best choice I ever made. Got to raise my kids in small towns and got to work in some beautiful places that don't get seen much. I have refused to move up the ladder any further since where I am is the last field going job before it becomes a cubicle job. No thanks, some things are just more valuable than money.
    Deplorable, Bitter Clinger...and proud of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    37 Post(s)
    I have learned that part of life is endurance. Bad things happen to everyone and it takes endurance to get through them. When you account for the good things in your life and compare them to what could be worse, your burden during this painful time becomes just a little less heavy. If you're a faith person, then trust in Him. He's in charge after all. The trick there is to keep moving. He can't guide you if you're not moving. I know how hard Hard Things are because I've been in the darkest of places in my soul, yet got pulled through it by God's Grace.

It is clear that you're a wonderful person BHG. You are going to succeed in finding a way to meet your needs and perhaps, your wants. Every day of your struggle is one less day of the struggle you have before you. I think struggle begets gratitude and I am a very grateful person. I pray for you.