Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The American Medical Association makes their stance to takeaway Gun Rights

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    270 Post(s)

The American Medical Association makes their stance to takeaway Gun Rights

Isn’t really a surprise, because many medical professionals speak out about guns, but here is the official stance of the American Medical Association.

AMA delegates voted to adopt several of nearly a dozen gun-related proposals presented by doctor groups that are part of the AMA's membership. They agreed to:

— Support any bans on the purchase or possession of guns and ammunition by people under 21.

— Back laws that would require licensing and safety courses for gun owners and registration of all firearms.

— Press for legislation that would allow relatives of suicidal people or those who have threatened imminent violence to seek court-ordered removal of guns from the home.

— Encourage better training for physicians in how to recognize patients at risk for suicide.

— Push to eliminate loopholes in laws preventing the purchase or possession of guns by people found guilty of domestic violence, including expanding such measures to cover convicted stalkers.
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...612-story.html
    "It’s the unconquerable soul of man, not the nature of the weapon he uses, that insures victory." Gen George S. Patton

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    366 Post(s)
    I have a real problem with allowing the courts to take peoples guns based on testimony from others that they are dangerous.

It comes down to one persons word over anothers and I can see it being abused by those that would misuse the courts whether it be in a messy divorce or a neighbor dispute.

And, you just know the courts will err on the side of safety.

Sent from my LG-K425 using Tapatalk
    “Whoever would overthrow the liberty of a nation must begin by subduing the freeness of speech.” ~ Benjamin Franklin

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    The AMA has very little clout to me.

They only speak for a small subset of physicians.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    399 Post(s)
    Honestly I've grown tired of anti gun gov, politicians, leos, and each and every other anti gun person.

They all WANT to take our guns. Something they have no authority to do.
    But CAN they take them? Words on paper don't confiscate guns.
    Some paid idiots with a death wish have to attempt that. Its coming for certain, and I'm inclined to stop worrying about it and simply be over prepared to repel the attempt.

If you want me come get me. If you can,.

Better bring a lunch.
    Odd how most folks who say they support the Constitution as written ,,,,,,,,,,,,really don't.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1142 Post(s)
    Pushing for unconstitutional encroachment in an area having zero to do with medicine. Sounds like they're real experts, here.

Trouble is, they will be taken as heavyweights on the question simply because they wear the white coats, despite having nothing to do with it.

If they had an ounce of integrity, they'd push to go after the psychological, child-rearing/parenting and social dynamics that are within the scope of their practice: that of medicine, psychology and behaviors.

Them pushing for political change in an area having nothing to do with their knowledge or skillsets does nothing but subvert the constitutional rule of law.

In short: use of arms is no more a medicine/health question than is the use of screwdrivers for vehicle repair or vehicles themselves.

Nice to know they're in the camp of the destroyers, though, no matter how kindhearted their efforts might appear to them.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; June 13th, 2018 at 10:24 AM. Reason: spelling, grammar
    Cardinal principle: Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Philosophy: Why the Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos)
    On the RKBA: Most of what you think you know about our Constitution is wrong -- Michael Badnarik

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    330 Post(s)
    Pretty rich coming from an organization whose members kill more people annually than firearms do. The organization whose members enabled the opioid epidemic killing more people than all the deaths in the Vietnam conflict.

The AMA can KMA!
    I find supremely ironic that God in his wisdom and grace has given man freedom of choice bounded by 10 simple rules. Man in his finite wisdom has created millions of rules to limit freedom of choice and personal responsibility of man.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    270 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RScottie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have a real problem with allowing the courts to take peoples guns based on testimony from others that they are dangerous.

It comes down to one persons word over anothers and I can see it being abused by those that would misuse the courts whether it be in a messy divorce or a neighbor dispute.

And, you just know the courts will err on the side of safety.

Sent from my LG-K425 using Tapatalk
    They are worse than many realize. With most of these laws, initially, it isn’t one person’s word against another because the accused isn’t even present. The accuser goes before a judge and makes their case unopposed. The accused finds out, after the judge has made the decision when the LEOs show up to confinscate his guns. The accused could then have to wait 2-3 weeks for the first opportunity to have his side heard, the entire time being without his guns.

I wish I could find statistics on them, because a few weeks ago I read an article praising these “red flag” laws by discussing where they are currently used. IIRC, it said 80% which were issued were not renewed beyond the 3 week temporary period, making it sound like what caused it to be issued had been resolved. What this really translates to is that in 80% of the cases once the accused had his opportunity to due process and defend himself, the judges decision was reversed. To me this means the process is already being abused, but at least judges are proving willing to reverse decisions when faced with evidence.
    "It’s the unconquerable soul of man, not the nature of the weapon he uses, that insures victory." Gen George S. Patton

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    499 Post(s)
    Most doctors don't belong to the AMA. I think I saw a number between 20-30 percent belonged. That was about 6-8 years ago and they thought the 30% was high. And the numbers were declining. I'd guess 10-20% might be more accurate today.

I also saw something about 6 years ago that said about 70% of the doctors who belonged to the AMA disagreed with most of their stances.

So, I pretty much disregard anything the AMA has to say.
    TANSTAAFL - "Moon is a Harsh Mistress"
    OldVet, 30 March 2018: "But being the agreeable sort, I agree."

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    233 Post(s)
    Perhaps the NRA should set up a database that would include:

• The raw number of each doctor's patients who had died.
    • Complaints by each doctor's patients that they had not been cured of what ails them.
    • Complaints by each doctor's patients that they had been left in the waiting room too long.
    • Complaints by each doctor's patients that the doctor had not listened to them.

And so on.

Not fair to the doctors? Not a legitimate statistical sampling? Anybody remember Doctors Kellermann and Reay's discredited study "proving" a person with a gun in the home is 43 times as likely to shoot someone in the family as to shoot a criminal? (See http://www.davekopel.org/NRO/2001/Th...of-43-to-1.htm)

Not everyone has a gun, but just about everyone has a doctor. Cooking the stats can go both ways.

John W in SC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    155 Post(s)
    Not a surprise that the AMA is a progressive organization that thinks they have the power to control lives. I wonder what the number is on people that have been killed by the medical drug pushing industry? Perhaps we should push for laws to take rights away from those murderers. How many doctors have murdered unborn babies? How many doctors have assisted suicide? I read the other day that suicides are rampant in the medical field perhaps the AMA should clean up their own house before they come after ours. Screw them.

Moderator of the Universe jeanlouise's Avatar
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1520 Post(s)
    The AMA used to be a serious, prestigious group but those years are over with. I know 2 doctors, one is a neurosurgeon in Maryland, that are strong Conservatives and dropped out of the AMA awhile ago.

I can hardly think of one long standing organization that hasn't become a front for Liberalism.

AMA
    Teacher's Unions
    NAACP
    ACLU
    I guess we can add Boy Scouts now.

Those are just the ones that come to mind at the moment.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    499 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Rancher View Post
    Not a surprise that the AMA is a progressive organization that thinks they have the power to control lives. I wonder what the number is on people that have been killed by the medical drug pushing industry? Perhaps we should push for laws to take rights away from those murderers. How many doctors have murdered unborn babies? How many doctors have assisted suicide? I read the other day that suicides are rampant in the medical field perhaps the AMA should clean up their own house before they come after ours. Screw them.
    Maybe they're losing too many members to suicide by gun. That would strike me as pretty stupid. They can prescribe. Just go get some heavy opioids, barbituates, etc. and go to sleep. That would be easier than trying to get guns out of the hands of their members.
    TANSTAAFL - "Moon is a Harsh Mistress"
    OldVet, 30 March 2018: "But being the agreeable sort, I agree."

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1142 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Rancher View Post
    If they were truly interested in reducing their own damage (suicides within the profession), they'd strongly promote membership-only-if-disarmed. Instead, they're going after everyone. Thus, their true goal is controlling everyone else under the auspices of reducing risk in society at large ... as though that justifies or authorizes anyone to thieve the liberty of others.

They're plopping themselves squarely in the camp of the destroyers (in terms of liberty destruction). The one good thing about this is: it's nice to hear it so clearly from them, so we clearly understand what they are and what they truly represent. A dire threat to the BOR, no matter that their members happen to be medical and healthcare pro's.
    Cardinal principle: Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    On the RKBA: Most of what you think you know about our Constitution is wrong -- Michael Badnarik

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    270 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GRCarry View Post
    Most doctors don't belong to the AMA. I think I saw a number between 20-30 percent belonged. That was about 6-8 years ago and they thought the 30% was high. And the numbers were declining. I'd guess 10-20% might be more accurate today.

I also saw something about 6 years ago that said about 70% of the doctors who belonged to the AMA disagreed with most of their stances.

So, I pretty much disregard anything the AMA has to say.
    They may not represent all doctors, but the media and Dems will use this as if they do, just like the teachers union represents all teachers. Yet, the NRA is some rogue terrorist organization that doesn’t even represent the feeling of their members let alone most gun owners. Interesting how that goes.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1142 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SOS24 View Post
    They may not represent all doctors ...
    They're essentially a trade association. Like the Plumbing Heating & Cooling Contractors' (PHCC) association.

They think they represent anyone. They're mistaken. They're no more qualified to suggest the BOR doesn't apply to 300M citizens then the Plumbers' association. (Who, at least, would be the correct group to 'flush' something down the drain.)