Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I worked on a project in NJ for several months, so I researched the weapons laws there. Of course, guns were a no-go. But when I looked up knives, they have no prohibitions. Great! But...when I researched the topic more deeply I found out they have prohibitions against any deadly weapons and it seems it's up to the cop on the scene which category your knife is in. There are incidents of people being arrested for innocuous pocket knives. I don't know if they were convicted, but they at least had a bad day one way or another. If you used a knife in self defense, they would probably say that proves it was in the deadly weapon category.
    Ny is the same way ..As are a lot of state no real laws on the books just up the cops call ..I really dont like stuff like this imop ..Way way too much issue ..Lot of room for policeing based on persoanl fellings not law ..

UK is the same way ..You can in tehory carry or have ready at hand most any knife ..If , if , if you can prove you have a use for it ie knife for putting in carptaing etc ...

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    532 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eagleks View Post
    You just got a bit hung-up on the open carry ... if you read it .... it says here you can open carry OR CONCEAL carry without a license. Meaning YOU ..... or anyone else who can legally own the firearm and are over 21. Doesn't apply to residents only.
    Most states require a license to conceal carry ..... we don't.

So, a lot of States are different then ours. You mentioned all kinds of other things as well, and pointing out that even the laws one some of those vary by CITY ..... NOT JUST State laws in some places.

It's a hodge podge out there. Like when I went to Michigan, I not only read and checked their laws, I always call up the Hwy Patrol or Conceal Carry Unit if they have one and talk to them , so I know if I interpreted the laws I read correctly, or if there are any "gotcha's" in the laws. Hwy Patrol usually know more about he laws than local police (where you may also get biases or local flavors).

And the laws are always changing in the States. So, what it was today, may not be tomorrow.

And, if in a State where there are issues recognizing our licenses, I DO ask about open carry ..... which I still may be quite legal to do there.
    Yep. Open carry has been legal here and still is. Or at least it was a couple of weeks ago.
    TANSTAAFL - "Moon is a Harsh Mistress"
    OldVet, 30 March 2018: "But being the agreeable sort, I agree."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wrongrecroom View Post
    Ny is the same way ..As are a lot of state no real laws on the books just up the cops call ..I really dont like stuff like this imop ..Way way too much issue ..Lot of room for policeing based on persoanl fellings not law ..

UK is the same way ..You can in tehory carry or have ready at hand most any knife ..If , if , if you can prove you have a use for it ie knife for putting in carptaing etc ...
    Actually, a lot of states are like that. Even in a reletivly weapon friendly state like Alabama there is a prohibition agaist carrying a concealed "bowie knife". Alabama case law indicates that a bowie knife is just about any fixed blade the LEO or DA wants to call a bowie knife.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    291 Post(s)
    Some states also allow local and city governments to regulate weapons. Oregon is a constitutional open carry state. If you can legally have the gun, you can open carry anywhere not prohibited by law. Oregon allows local and city governments to regulate carry. In Multnomah County (Portland Metro) and several other cities you can open carry a gun as long as it is unloaded. Some cities allow open loaded carry except in city parks.

Oregon has an Oregon Concealed Handgun License and does not reciprocate with any other state. The law that created the OCHL preempts local and city governments from regulating carry. The theory is with my OCHL, I can open carry any loaded gun in downtown Portland. I wouldn't assume the local cop on the beat knows all of the fine points of the law.

Salem is the state capital and they prohibit open carry of a loaded gun. With my OCHL, I can open carry a loaded gun in Salem and inside the capitol buildings. The state police in the capitol buildings are very aware of the laws. I typically conceal carry in urban areas and open carry in rural areas. I do open carry loaded guns at the capitol during Second Amendment protests.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.