Thread: Have a safe Fourth of July!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    279 Post(s)

Have a safe Fourth of July!

I am looking forward to shooting off fireworks this 4th of July.
    This is the second year consumer fireworks have been legal in the state of Iowa since 1938.
    Iowa banned all fireworks except snakes, party poppers, and SPARKLERS after some miscreant kid dropped a lit SPARKLER into a drugstore fireworks bin.
    Using "Renowned Liberal Logic" Iowa banned virtually ALL consumer fireworks except for SPARKLERS.
    Go figure.

Last year the few weeks surrounding the 4th sounded like a war zone. Kind of what one would expect after being denied for 80 years.
    Instead of giving it a couple years for people to get it out of their system.
    Our local "liberal" governments all but banned the use of fireworks again.
    We now have a very narrow window to use them, 2pm to 11pm on the 3rd and 4th.
    Of course there is always some who never follow the rules and have been shooting them off at all hours.

I have heard a few shot off so far but not any more than when they were completely illegal. For the most part people are following the draconian laws.
    I am certain there will be a big push once again to totally ban fireworks after the Holiday, it is what liberals do.

Oh well, I am planning on enjoying them this year.

As a reminder, be safe when using fireworks.
    And no! it is not a good idea to use your behind as a bottle rocket launcher!

I jest not, there are videos of this on the internet. Stupidity knows no bounds!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    233 Post(s)
    To be safe on the fourth, don't drink a fifth on the third...

;-)

John W in SC

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    137 Post(s)
    Fireworks are definitely fun. For years when I was growing up, our state also had a prohibition against fireworks. But a few years ago, they changed the law so that we can use fireworks that do not launch from the ground. That's better than nothing, I guess. Our neighboring state to the south made millions of dollars off of our residents who would drive down there to pick up fireworks. They have much more relaxed laws regarding them.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1142 Post(s)
    Haven't done 'personal' fireworks for a few decades, now. Have attended a couple of public fireworks displays, in that time. Don't much like the idea of folks launching bottle rockets and whatnot up onto shake shingle roofs, which always seems to be the thing for some to do.
    Cardinal principle: Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Philosophy: Why the Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos)
    On the RKBA: Most of what you think you know about our Constitution is wrong -- Michael Badnarik

American By Birth, Southern By The Grace of God
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    135 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Haven't done 'personal' fireworks for a few decades, now. Have attended a couple of public fireworks displays, in that time. Don't much like the idea of folks launching bottle rockets and whatnot up onto shake shingle roofs, which always seems to be the thing for some to do.
    We live in the country and had a neighbor that came over close to our property line one year and shot bottle rockets and larger rockets in our direction. Usually it is dry on the 4th and we were very careful of grass fires in our pasture. Why he did that I don't know, but after we had a conversation about his rocket launching, me and the retired Army Major never had any more problems.
    “Truth to a Liberal is as Salt to a Slug” Unknown
    "If it wasn't for double standards, the liberal left would have no standards at all."

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    392 Post(s)
    I consider it my "get out of jail free" day for shooting in the yard without worrying about answering to the neighbors! That's my fireworks!
    Contact your reps about restrictive gun laws->https://act.nraila.org/
    Lady Shooters! PM me if you would like to join a female private firearms sub-group!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    105 Post(s)
    Yeah, somebody in the hood started shooting them off yesterday. Going to have to do the benadryl for a few days on the dog when I go to work. I'll be working. Maybe, just maybe... might blow off a mag in the AK just before I leave for work! I haven't bought fireworks in many years.
    GO NAVY!
    All Heros don't have a cape. Some wear Kevlar.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1142 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Okeechobee View Post
    We live in the country and had a neighbor that came over close to our property line one year and shot bottle rockets and larger rockets in our direction. Usually it is dry on the 4th and we were very careful of grass fires in our pasture. Why he did that I don't know, but after we had a conversation about his rocket launching, me and the retired Army Major never had any more problems.
    I'd have been a bit miffed, as well.

As I recall, way back when, those little ol' Estes rocket engines are fairly capable of lighting up a patch of dry tinder when the things land in the "wrong" spot. (Yeah, well ... live and learn.) Can't imagine doing that sort of thing deliberately, across someone else's property. I'm all for the "Can I borrow some sugar?" moments with neighbors, if necessary, but the "Can I borrow your fire extinguisher?" tactic is a bit much.
    Cardinal principle: Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Philosophy: Why the Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos)
    On the RKBA: Most of what you think you know about our Constitution is wrong -- Michael Badnarik

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)
    1938...?!? I'd no idea...

I mean, I always felt that if you've never been in a bottle rocket war or shot your best friend with a roman candle, were you even an American... ?
    "Most of what people get mad about is just noise anyway." DV AU
    Life's too short for anything less than good whiskey, good beer, good friends & family, and gumbo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    279 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post
    1938...?!? I'd no idea...

I mean, I always felt that if you've never been in a bottle rocket war or shot your best friend with a roman candle, were you even an American... ?
    Oh, plenty of fireworks have been shot off in Iowa.
    By being outside on the 4th you would never have known they were illegal.
    The local "rulers" are having a fit. They are placing all kinds of time restrictions on when you can shoot them off.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    319 Post(s)
    Fireworks have been legal in the Live Free or Blow Yourself Up state for many years. I have heard only one large airburst since last weekend but tonight is our towns' fireworks show at the beach so I'm sure anyone with fireworks will join in. I have one thunder phobic dog so she will be medicated as soon as I hear the first bang.

Last year I sent the drone up to see what kind of video I could get. It's not too good at low light filming but at 500 feet I did a slow pan through 360 degrees and it was amazing just how many fireworks were being sent up. Some displays rivaled the towns!
    “What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms.”

Unrepentant chocoholic ShooterGranny's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    422 Post(s)
    Sharing this picture I put together - posted here on this thread and the other one too.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	July 4 ladyliberty.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	46.6 KB 
ID:	15247

And a song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOjq75kXB84
    If you think changes need to be made - get out and DO SOMETHING positive!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    156 Post(s)
    Never knew anyone to obey fireworks laws. In the two towns I worked as a police officer, fireworks were illegal. If I worked on the fourth of July I usually just drove around watching half the town shoot off their illegal fireworks. Not much point in ticketing half the town, too much work, and too many explosive devises to store as evidence. Besides it's Independence day and I enjoyed the fireworks show.