0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    114 Post(s)

My Current EDC

I'm in a very NPE for awhile, so here is what I'm carrying full-time:

cane 003.jpg

Security at Dulles, Frankfurt and Tel Aviv didn't give it a second thought. It's from Canemasters.
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'” Isaac Asimov

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    Should do you well, Mike.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow.

Founder of the BDA Pony Club

BLM-Bob's Life Matters.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1314 Post(s)
    My own is a walking stick from Cold Steel. Not as benign-looking as the Canemasters you have above. But, it's darned near indestructible and fairly easy to wield.

As with your experience, Mike, I too fly under the radar through security screenings, including at airports. Nice additional tool. to have along.
    Cardinal principle: Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Philosophy: Why the Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos)
    On the RKBA: Most of what you think you know about our Constitution is wrong -- Michael Badnarik

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    114 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My own is a walking stick from Cold Steel. Not as benign-looking as the Canemasters you have above. But, it's darned near indestructible and fairly easy to wield.

As with your experience, Mike, I too fly under the radar through security screenings, including at airports. Nice additional tool. to have along.
    I had a situation nearly go south a couple years ago in Puerto Rico, where I found myself empty-handed. I decided then that whenever I had to go gun-free, I would still have a force multiplier in hand. The cane quickly became the obvious choice for me. I went with benign-looking based simply on my route and destination.
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'” Isaac Asimov

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)
    I collect Canes, have the “Ten Shen from Colt Steel designed by Sensei Segal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    71 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I'm in a very NPE for awhile, so here is what I'm carrying full-time:

cane 003.jpg

Security at Dulles, Frankfurt and Tel Aviv didn't give it a second thought. It's from Canemasters.
    I've had a very similar defensive cane for a number of years now.

Since I have family in both NYC and DC, I've taken that cane through security numerous times w/o a second look from anyone.

It could be wicked in a fight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    114 Post(s)

I have been carrying it full-time now for about five days, and am getting very used to it. For the first couple days, it was a bit tedious. Treating it like a walking stick instead of a handicap aid makes the process much simpler, and people don't seem to notice any difference, at least that they have mentioned. Its weight has become a non-issue, and maneuvering with it has become natural. All in all, I'm very happy with my choice in this weapon-free environment.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    145 Post(s)
    The interesting thing is how some people seem to be ridiculously leery of a cane. A few times I've used mine to point at something, and had people jump back and gasp. Note that I was never pointing in their direction; usually at a right angle.

It can't be a "weapon" reaction; at least two of them, I'm sure I could have whipped an AK-47 from behind my back and pointed with it, and they'd've said "Cool!"

NUTS! Gen. McAuliffe Stumpkiller's Avatar
    Upstate NY in the headlands of the foothills
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    325 Post(s)
    I have one by Ka-Bar. Rugged as hell but heavy.

When I had knee surgery I got a nice blackthorn Bata and that makes a pretty serviceable defensive weapon.

A little "Whiskey Stick Dancing" applied as necessary.
    Every word of God is pure; He is a Shield (TM) unto them that put their trust in Him. Proverbs 30:5
    In training to be the forum's assistant deputy backup curmudgeon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    114 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpkiller View Post
    I have one by Ka-Bar. Rugged as hell but heavy.

When I had knee surgery I got a nice blackthorn Bata and that makes a pretty serviceable defensive weapon.

A little "Whiskey Stick Dancing" applied as necessary.
    Mine is very lightweight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    114 Post(s)

As an update, the congregation we went with had a reunion dinner this past Saturday night. Several people didn't recognize me without my boonie hat and cane. One of them even asked if I had my hip replaced since I no longer needed a cane.