5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    250 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShooterGranny View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    @John W in SC
    The problem with reassembly is NOT holding the grip safety in. It is being able to hold the base of the gun firmly enough WITHOUT pressing on the grip safety - while keeping your thumb pressed up on the slide stop! If the grip safety is pushed in you can not get the slide back on.

People with some strength in their hands can hold the base in other than a full shooting grip (no pressure at all on the center rear of the grip) and keep that slide stop up so the slide will go all the way back to slide lock. I can not.

So, what I would need is a very strong, sturdy, non flex little "box" that would exactly fit the curve of the grip and cover the grip safety so it can NOT be depressed, and yet not slip up, down or sideways when you put pressure on it. I do not think standard holster Kydex would be strong enough because it has some give in it.

There was one - just one - video review of the EZ that mentioned this problem/situation. However, like all reviews thus far, it was done by a man with strong hands and he had no problem holding the frame with a couple fingers with the palm of his hand out from the back of the grip and still being able to reach the slide stop with his thumb. That is NOT the marketing group this gun was designed for.

I guess I need to let S&W know about this design flaw. And, for their target marketing group of people like me, it is a design flaw because it changes the gun from EZ to OH NO.
    OK, now that I'm not as ignorant as I was (but still don't know diddly-squat about these guns) please let me try again.

What would happen if you had a piece of wood the thickness and width of a magazine, but longer than a magazine. You would stick the wood up the grip into the mag well, and hold the end sticking out in a vise. (If you don't have a vise, you could c-clamp it to ant sturdy vertical surface.)

Would that do what you need?

John W in SC

Unrepentant chocoholic ShooterGranny's Avatar
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    488 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by John W in SC View Post
    OK, now that I'm not as ignorant as I was (but still don't know diddly-squat about these guns) please let me try again.

What would happen if you had a piece of wood the thickness and width of a magazine, but longer than a magazine. You would stick the wood up the grip into the mag well, and hold the end sticking out in a vise. (If you don't have a vise, you could c-clamp it to ant sturdy vertical surface.)

Would that do what you need?

John W in SC
    We have a 'vise.' It is a mini Black and Decker workmate that clamps to the top of the desk or table top. It works for me if I put the grip of the gun in exactly the right position. It even has rubber covers so the wood doesn't touch the gun. Have to be careful to not tighten it too much - just the right amount to keep the gun in place and not "crack the grip frame." Gramps has had it forever. I don't think they make those little clamp on ones anymore.

It would be nice to have something that works that would go in my range bag just in case I'm not at home at the work table/desk when the slide is taken off and has to go back on.
    If you think changes need to be made - get out and DO SOMETHING positive!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    488 Post(s)

FINALLY Zelda is shooting in the middle!

Went to Pistols and Potluck last night and took Zelda and "Poppy", my M&P .22 compact because they are the same size and fit the same holsters. What a miserable time.

Zelda was shooting way to the left, which she has done since day one. My paper targets looked like one of those classic "too much finger" Solution To Bad Hits target pictures. Poppy was shooting way high. Way high. In order to hit the hanging steel targets which I normally never miss (with SIG's and Glocks), I had to lead the target way to the right like you do with a moving target when shooting Zelda AND THEN had to aim below the steel circle when shooting Poppy.

SO TODAY Gramps and I went back to the range. He had to move the rear sight on Zelda almost as far right as it will go. Now she shoots in the middle like a good girl. I sincerely hope she stays that way!

The adjustment screw on Poppy, the .22 compact, is so loose that you can move it with your fingernail and every 5 or 6 shots it unscrews itself so the shots move higher and higher. I am going to contact Smith & Wesson and hope they will send me a return sticker and give me a new rear sight or at least a screw that will stay where you move it! It didn't do that when the gun was brand new, and I've put less than 700 rounds through her which is "nothing" for a .22 plinker. I've shot only Aguila and CCI mini mags (both have the same velocity) - nothing weird or super powered.

I sure am glad that I buy ammo in bulk at good prices because I'm going through way too much of it doing problem solving with these S&W semi autos.

It is not me. It is the guns. My Glocks and SIG's shoot just fine.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)
    What I see in my mind's eye is a polyurethane casting that fits over the grip safety and mimics the grip contouring. It should fit snug and not slip, if I get it right that is.
    ***TANSTAAFL***
    Holsters

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    488 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by luvmy40 View Post
    What I see in my mind's eye is a polyurethane casting that fits over the grip safety and mimics the grip contouring. It should fit snug and not slip, if I get it right that is.
    That is what I'm envisioning also. Since I need to use a "full combat grip" in order to hold the grip of the gun firmly enough to be able to get the slide back to slide lock, the snug fit and no slip part is critical.

Thanks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShooterGranny View Post
    Not looking at the possibility of ANY MORE guns. At this point in time.
    ROFLMAO!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Regards, Sax
    G27 G19 G17
    IDPA A158430

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    488 Post(s)

posted by ShooterGranny
    Not looking at the possibility of ANY MORE guns. At this point in time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saxdm9 View Post
    ROFLMAO!!!
    THAT WAS THEN. This is now. I did see a new one that I might, maybe, sometime in the future, be interested in holding and dry firing.....that leads to pulling out the credit card more often than not. It's the new Springfield 911 .380.....almost a clone of my SIG P238's, at least on paper.

The one thing holding me back is that it is brand, brand new and the other thing holding me back is that I can't do enough shooting anymore to give all of my guns each their fair share of fun time. That, however, would not stop me......sometime in the future!
    Last edited by ShooterGranny; August 22nd, 2018 at 10:50 PM.