Unrepentant chocoholic ShooterGranny's Avatar
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    488 Post(s)

This woman is TOUGH!

I think I've mentioned that we now have a women's only shooting group at our club, specifically for women who want to learn to shoot safely and in a relaxed environment. "P", The woman who started it is our only NRA certified female range safety officer. She fought really hard to get this group started because initially the board didn't see any reason for it. But she wouldn't take no for an answer.

I'm her unofficial assistant; specifically because I do the total newbie safety rules, grip and stance training before the shooting at our Pistols and Potluck group which is for both men and women.

The first couple meetings of this women's group were very basic. P let them stand and shoot at standard round paper targets. However, now she is advancing them step by step, going from the standard targets to those challenging dot torture ones and shooting from 3 yards, then 5 and then 7 yards. Notice I say "them." For me, she comes up with special challenges!

Being only one woman, she can't get the super heavy steel targets from the main shed on the lower range, but fixed up a swinging 1/2 gallon plastic milk jug hung from a wire. She let me shoot it all I wanted for fun last time.

But this evening, bless her tough little heart, she had a large empty plastic jug on the ground, a small 6" airgun sight in paper target and the swinging jug. And she numbered them and stood behind me and called out: 1; 3;2; 3; 1; etc until my 7 round magazine was empty. She didn't call the numbers slowly either. That was kind of fun. But that was only the beginning:

Then she made me shoot, scan both sides and back, move and shoot the next one, scan again and move and shoot the 3rd one. I'm used to moving and shooting but that scan thing is alien to me. Yes, I know there is a reason to check sides and back especially when facing "multiple threats" in front. But it wasn't much fun.

Next I also got a dot torture target but mine was different. Not so nice and easy as the newer shooters. That made me realize that my eyes are becoming a problem for me even with prescription shooting glasses.

Her finale for me was the same 3 targets as #1, but specific tiny spots on those items and I had to shoot SIX SHOTS IN FOUR SECONDS FROM THE WHISTLE and that included time to draw and aim. I didn't get off all six shots so that wasn't so much fun.

But the woman is doing her job and doing it incredibly well! The less experienced women seem to be enjoying watching P put me through some challenges, especially after they have shot their own simpler challenges for the day. And, other than P accepting the fact that physically I absolutely do not dare to shoot strong hand, weak hand only any more, she doesn't take no for an answer!

AND she asked if she could shoot my SIG P238 Rainbow which I was using as my carry gun for the evening and hadn't intended to shoot this time. But I had been wanting to try her shooting gloves because I thought they might be a lot better than the ones I've been using, specifically with my P238 with its smoother wood grip. So we did both, one at a time of course.

I loaded 2 magazines for the SIG for her and she said one would be enough. I quietly said, we'll see about that! I had already told her about my very first experience shooting a P238 and how I did NOT want to stop. So she shot the first magazine and turned around with a sheepish grin and said, "Can I shoot the other magazine too?"

Turns out she found one at a super good price but doesn't know if she can swing buying it. If it is to be "her gun" it will work out for her. This I believe. She has a Ruger SR.22 and a Glock 43. She deserves to have a SIG also! I don't know how old P is, just that she's a decade or maybe two decades younger than I am - but everyone is anymore.

Here's a picture of P from last summer at a Pistols and Potluck event, shooting my beloved "Rosie", my S&W Model 10-5, blued with the pencil barrel - as I watch.

2017 July 22 P shooting Rosie.jpg
    If you think changes need to be made - get out and DO SOMETHING positive!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    372 Post(s)
    I'm jealous Granny! She sounds like a great addition to the club!
    “What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms.”

Unrepentant chocoholic ShooterGranny's Avatar
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    488 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notavictim View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm jealous Granny! She sounds like a great addition to the club!
    For sure! Things changed quite radically from the original "good old boys" trap shooting club, and even more radically when a new president and secretary, D & M (who happen to be husband and wife) were elected to the board.

Prior to that, the club supported the teen/school trap shooting group, but other than that kids were almost frowned upon. Then when D & M got elected, kids with their parents were welcomed instead of tolerated, and M, the secretary, started the Pistols and Potluck group, bringing more couples (or singles) together for shooting and socializing. That got some more women started into shooting. And now, P has taken it a step further with the women only group.

I hope and trust that this 30 year old private club has truly found new life and will continue to grow in all the right directions. We now have a 500 yard rifle range in place of the old 200 yard one, and additional trap and skeet "fun events" in addition to sanctioned tournaments. The Wed. Pistol competition group has been well established for several years and new people are joining as the originals are getting too old to "do competition" anymore.

One thing that could make it even better would be an indoor range for winter shooting, but that is an enormous expense that the club cannot come close to affording and still keep the yearly family membership low enough for most everyone.

My apologies for TMI, but I really am proud of this club.
    If you think changes need to be made - get out and DO SOMETHING positive!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    51 Post(s)
    Sounds like "P" is keeping you on your toes SG. Good for her and even better for you. It sounds like not only are you gals having fun but finally putting some legitimacy in women's shooting. I applaud you all. Thanks for sharing with us.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    372 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShooterGranny View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My apologies for TMI, but I really am proud of this club.
    No apologizing needed. I can tell you're proud of your club. I would be too. They are thinking forward and it will pay dividends.
    “What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    82 Post(s)
    SG you are amazing.
    We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately.