Unrepentant chocoholic ShooterGranny's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    422 Post(s)

Saved $600 on a Springfield 911 today

WHAT, you say? How can you save $600 on a $600 gun?

You got it.

Went to a newly opened gun store in town today and they had the Springfield 911 .380 that I've been researching. I was hoping they would have one and if I liked it I could drive a longer distance to a range/shop that has try before you buy to test the recoil. At under 12 oz. I expect it could be fairly snappy, and snappy is something I do not need with my arthritis problems.

Well, folks, I did not like it. That actually made me pretty happy. I saved $600 today!

The slide is easy to rack. The trigger is "meh." It is, as described in all the glowing, well written articles, slimmer than a SIG P238, and that made it too small for my medium size female hands. My Glock 42's and SIG P238's are as small as I can go and have decent finger placement on the trigger. And the G10 grips are poke-you-hard-aggressive, but I have G10's on one of my SIG's and that is not a deal breaker for me since you can always lightly sand them if necessary.

The gun just did not speak to me. For a man who can shoot a gun with a grip that's really narrow it might make a good pocket gun. It's good looking anyway.

A super friendly and extremely knowledgeable young woman was my sales "helper" and she showed me a few other guns, a couple of which I might go back and look at again. .22 pinkers they were. One had a Tiffany blue frame and one had a deep bright pink frame. Both do come in a "little black dress" also which is what I would get if I decide to get one. One was a Walther P22 and GOSH, that grip really is the friendliest grip I've ever held - just like almost everyone says. Not sure about the rest of the gun. Another was a brand I do not know but is also a .22. She mentioned a super neat 9mm 'narrow gripped but double stack' they were getting in and I had to remind her that I do not dare shoot 9mm anymore because of the damage I have.

Since my S&W M&P .22 compact is back at the mother ship to hopefully get a new rear slide that actually will adjust in place of the one that came with it with the totally stripped adjusting screw, I've sort of been thinking about maybe another .22. That is a big maybe - so as of this moment, I still saved $600 today.
    If you think changes need to be made - get out and DO SOMETHING positive!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    380 Post(s)
    Iv'e read a few reviews on this pistol and I always thought of you and if this would be a pistol for you. Now we both know lol. Congrats on the savings.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    Get a PPK/22

The new ones are very nice and cheep like 400 made in german ready to go for a silencer wont jam and a joy to shoot pretty light in the slide ..And its a PPK .... I mean I tried to see what it would not fire and I could not find anything ..The p22 I have heard eh on

Also yeah I dont get that 380 springer is making a cheep knock off of the 238 imop from a company that imop has lost my respect

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    422 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wrongrecroom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Get a PPK/22

The new ones are very nice and cheep like 400 made in german ready to go for a silencer wont jam and a joy to shoot pretty light in the slide ..And its a PPK .... I mean I tried to see what it would not fire and I could not find anything ..The p22 I have heard eh on

Also yeah I dont get that 380 springer is making a cheep knock off of the 238 imop from a company that imop has lost my respect
    I will go back and look at that Walther again and take my trigger pull gauge with me, and spend some more time seeing how hard it is to field strip, etc.

I truly WISH it was not such a BRIGHT girly color! I do not insist on all black, just hate those super bright plastic frames, and that includes the barfy green ones "made for guys" as well as camo and other stuff like that. Do not count the titanium slide on my P238 rainbow as a girly thing. It's a work of art which transcends all sexism! Period.

Yesterday I read that the SA trigger pull is 11 pounds and I know for sure I can't do that but want to see if I can cock the hammer instead of doing the DA pull. I NEVER could cock the hammer on any of my revolvers, so it's very iffy.

When I say I have almost no hand strength, I'm not kidding. Actually, I never did.....just less of 'not much' now no matter what therapy strengthening exercises I do. Honest: I do not do them very regularly.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    58 Post(s)
    I had a P22 and sold it. It was very finicky about what I fed it. It only seemed to reliably eat CCI Minimags.
    NRA Patriot Life Member (Patron), SAF - CCRKBA, NAGR, Handgunlaw.us Donor, TFALAC

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    422 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spclopr8tr View Post
    I had a P22 and sold it. It was very finicky about what I fed it. It only seemed to reliably eat CCI Minimags.
    I don't have enough CCI mini mags to last as long as I would want to shoot that gun, so I guess that takes care of that one. I'm going to try to shoot my friend P's Ruger SR22 and see what happens. That first DA trigger pull is probably going to put that one out of the question for me also, though, even though it supposedly doesn't care what you feed it. I'd have to try my Aguila in it first though to make sure it will shoot the high velocity because P has been using lower velocity ammo. No it does not have a suppressor on it.

Might have to just have my M&P .22 compact and call it a day. I do enjoy shooting it a lot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    58 Post(s)
    First, blessed be the female who understands that buying something on sale is NOT saving money, it is SPENDING money.

Second, you mentioned in another thread you liked a friend's SR22. You've read me write this before: my wife's SR22 has 15k+ rounds through it without any problems, only
    (2) failure to extract on consecutive AE rounds (case swell). We both love it...I've even accidentally run a box of sub-sonic through it and it cycled fine, albeit slowly.
    Good on you SG!
    "The secret of freedom lies in educating people, whereas the secret of
    tyranny is in keeping them ignorant." - Maximilien Robespierre

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    422 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Slice11 View Post
    First, blessed be the female who understands that buying something on sale is NOT saving money, it is SPENDING money.
    Oh, I know how to spend money: Just ordered another 5,000 rounds of CCI Mini Mags in 22lr. Don't want to run out! For what it's worth, I saved $20 over the next lowest price I could find on line.