Unrepentant chocoholic ShooterGranny's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    458 Post(s)

Trying new/old things

A week ago I had to drive to the range to the Wed. pistol group because Gramps forgot to take something he was supposed to deliver. I tossed my range bag (laboriously lugged it) into the trunk of my car. When I got there I was so warmly welcomed by the guys after my almost 2 year absence that it only seemed right that I go ahead and shoot the course of fire. I knew I would be abysmal: No practice shooting and moving for so long and having to use a Glock 42 now instead of the Glock 17 I used most of the time for competition. I don't have magazine "holsters" for those wee mags and did the best I could stuffing them in pockets and behind my belt. Having to change magazines SO MANY TIMES over the course of fire was not good at all, in any way. But I did it, and was complemented on "doing well" after all things were considered.

SO, this week I decided it was time to try a couple other things I haven't done for a couple of years.

One was to take my new Shield EZ .380 and shoot it at all the different PPC distances. I wasn't sure I could even see the target anymore from 25 yards. Not a target I'm proud of, but I did it.

Another was to shoot "strong hand only" which I also have not done since changing to shooting left handed. I've been trying to protect the one shooting hand I have left, but I got a new very good quality pair of shooting gloves and figured why not try it? My strong hand is now my left hand when it comes to shooting.

Not being one to push things way too far I did that at only 5 yards. I was happy that my one handed, aimed shots went where they were supposed to go in the 3" black circle on the target paper.

THEN I tried shooting one handed from the hip at 5 yards! Understand that I NEVER could do that and come close to getting the shots where they should go. I still can't. But that was OK. I did it. And here, just for the heck of it, is a picture of that target......obviously the shots in the black were aiming and "the rest of the mess" was about as bad as I used to do when I tried to shoot one hand, right handed, from the hip.

If we weren't all friends here I wouldn't post this target, but it was what it was, so here it is:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sept 9 2018 5 yards strong hand only.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	16174

My M&P .22 compact is supposed to come back from S&W this week and I want to get it out to the range and see how I do with it with the above exercises. It was shooting way high and I hope they gave me a whole new rear sight that actually can be adjusted and isn't stripped out like the original one was.
    Last edited by ShooterGranny; September 8th, 2018 at 11:31 PM. Reason: spelling
    If you think changes need to be made - get out and DO SOMETHING positive!

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1702 Post(s)
    I'd take that target to the bank. If you were a 22-year old Navy Seal, not so much. Granny still packs a punch!
    Official Forum Curmudgeon Nonsense, I have not yet begun to defile myself.
    Tact: The skill of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    154 Post(s)
    Lawyers would say DON'T DO IT, but that target would make a great NO TRESPASSING SIGN (Just Kidding about the Sign.) Great shooting
    Gun culture at its best is rooted in a desire to protect, and especially to protect the people we love-Rachel Lu (University of St. Thomas)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)
    Keep on keeping on GS. Nice grouping. Fingers crossed for you on the return of the M&P .22.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    91 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShooterGranny View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sept 9 2018 5 yards strong hand only.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	16174
    That will work!
    Vote with your dollars.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    69 Post(s)
    SG you should be proud of that target. I'll bet a lot of us couldn't do better. I'd be included in that bunch. You go girl!
    We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    270 Post(s)
    A BG would still be just as dead with that shooting, so Inwould say it was good enough fornwhat would be needed. There are many who couldn’t do that good and don’t have any excuse.
    "Itís the unconquerable soul of man, not the nature of the weapon he uses, that insures victory." Gen George S. Patton